The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

sir G Wallace
Banned User
And1: 73

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#961 » by sir G Wallace » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:30 am

If Cavs wanted to go with an undersized scoring guard they couldve hit a massive home run with Lillard at 4.
kidleader
Junior
And1: 16

Post#962 » by kidleader » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:48 am

lillard playing at PF? lol you mean the 2?
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#963 » by roc » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:51 am

kidleader wrote:lillard playing at PF? lol you mean the 2?

4 as in 4th pick in the draft
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#964 » by Shem » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIWnlHmYJU8[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#965 » by Bskey » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:13 am

^ Claver is someone I haven't seen discussed any. For good reason I suppose but I think he's a pretty smart player.

He does a lot of things right and I think if he finds his shooting touch in the NBA he will be a very serviceable player. I haven't looked at his stats a lot but I like what I see with the ol' eyeball test. I am rooting for him even if he doesn't stick with the Blazers long.
Shem
RealGM

Post#966 » by Shem » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZABrh2921Q[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:

Shem
RealGM

Post#967 » by Shem » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:18 am

Bskey wrote:^ Claver is someone I haven't seen discussed any. For good reason I suppose but I think he's a pretty smart player.

And since he isn't in much of a discussion around here "for good reason", I figured I would show others the nice dunk by the rookie. Portland has 5 of them this season.
April 4, 2014:

Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#968 » by Bskey » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:39 am

Shem wrote:And since he isn't in much of a discussion around here "for good reason", I figured I would show others the nice dunk by the rookie. Portland has 5 of them this season.

Thats the thing is he hasn't really done anything that would gain him some attention other than that dunk. However when you really watch him you see a guy that while he may not always make the right decision is doing a lot of the little things that a good player does. I don't see him ever becoming a full time starter but he looks like he could be a nice utility guy off the bench that would give you net gains much more often than loses. I actually think running a few plays for him now and then would be nice. He could be a great guy to have cutting.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#969 » by TheBigThree » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:02 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:I'm saying that even though he's open, maybe its still not a good shot. It reminds of the Pistons and rodney stuckey. He's always open from 3, but nobody wants him shooting that shot because he's a terrible shooter. Beal has run a string of 3 nice shooting games. Let's see if he can sustain it somewhat before we say he's a consistent shooter taking good shots. I like Beal because he plays defense. This isn't trashing him, it's just what I observed.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Certainly if he continues to miss those shots then he'll be discouraged from taking them, but right now it's a learning process for him. As long as he's open he's got the green light, and so far his judgement of what constitutes a good shot has been spot on.

He just needs to continue to make them, lol :)

These Lillard highlights are ridiculous, nothing about his game looks like you're watching a rookie play PG.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#970 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:09 pm

Shem wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZABrh2921Q[/youtube]

The Minnesota annoucers got progessively frustrated. :lol:
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#971 » by Han Solo » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqeRlEi5_fY&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#972 » by Han Solo » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:32 pm

Auburn Hills — Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew used terms that are not usually associated with the Pistons. He called them tough, gritty and physical before Friday night's hard-fought 85-84 Pistons victory over the Hawks at The Palace.

Drew said the Pistons picked up on a theme he learned as a player with the Pistons in the early 1980s and later as an assistant coach in the 1999-2000 season under Alvin Gentry. This is a blue-collar team and the Detroit sports teams try to mirror their fan base.

When you talk about this team, how hard they play and how physical they are. … Detroit is a blue-collar city and when you watch this team play you see this," Drew said. "They play physical. They play the game the way it should be played. They don't take possessions off. They are gritty and grimy and you appreciate basketball to be played that way. I always try to incorporate that with my team."

Drew said the Pistons could end up with a winning record because of their bench. He got an eyefull last week when the bench scored 85 points and grabbed 39 rebounds in an overtime loss in Atlanta. The Pistons bench erased a 22-point fourth quarter lead to nearly steal the game.

In their last seven games the Pistons bench has averaged 51.7 points, 25.1 rebounds and shot 52.2 percent from the field. The Pistons bench was strong again thanks to Austin Daye, who finished with 20 points and six rebounds. The bench combined for 41 points and 26 rebounds Friday.

They are not just giving the starters breaks. They are now difference-makers.

"Even when they were struggling I always said this team is better than its record indicates," Drew said. "Now you are starting to see who this team really is. They got a bunch of guys who are solid ballplayers. They bring in NBA talent and NBA skills to the court. They can beat you in a lot of different ways. They got speed. They got quickness and they got bigs. They got guys who can make shots."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... /301050346

Pistons going for 5th straight win tonight against Charlotte and are trying for 7 of their last 8.

Detroit has looked good lately. Hard not to notice what Drummond is doing for that team. Detroit's bench is ridiculous.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#973 » by southern wolf » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:49 am

What the hell happened to Kendall Marshall? I remember there was a lot of hype surrounding him after he was drafted by PHX and he was going to be the Nash replacement. Now here we are 30 games in and he's played about 40 minutes of basketball.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#974 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:17 am

southern wolf wrote:What the hell happened to Kendall Marshall? I remember there was a lot of hype surrounding him after he was drafted by PHX and he was going to be the Nash replacement. Now here we are 30 games in and he's played about 40 minutes of basketball.

He was considered the best PG prospect before Lillard started to rise a few weeks before the draft. Crazy how things change, Lillard has arguably been a Top 10 PG since the day he stepped on the floor and Marshall is a scrub who can't buy minutes.

It seems that the fear scouts had over Kendall's lack of an offensive game was justified. That seems to be what's keeping him from getting minutes behind Gortat. You know something is wrong when Sebastian Telfair is beating you out for the backup role on a team that's more than 10 games under .500. He just seems to be too much of a liability on the court right now.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#975 » by kingkirk » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:03 am

The absurd thing about Lillard is the poise that he is playing with.

Watching those videos, it shines through how calm and controlled of a player he is already.
fishnc
Assistant Coach
And1: 449

Post#976 » by fishnc » Mon Jan 7, 2013 2:37 pm

I want to see what Drummond can do with consistent starter minutes. Quit holding out on us, Frank.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#977 » by boogie-reke » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:06 pm

KingCuban wrote:The absurd thing about Lillard is the poise that he is playing with.

Watching those videos, it shines through how calm and controlled of a player he is already.

Rose-esque in terms of his body language.
Shem
RealGM

Post#978 » by Shem » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvgRprmDcg[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:

Han Solo
General Manager