ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spike Lee rips "Django"

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Re: OT: Spike Lee rips "Django" 

Post#241 » by RHODEY » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:
blueNorange wrote:ashy larry has something to say

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 77190.html

"You don't like nobody's movies!" Rawlings said.

He joked, "I don't know if people know who I am. No disrespect, but I asked a guy if he knew Ashy Larry, and he said, "That's the little guy who got smacked by Rick James? I heard he's looking for work as Tyler Perry sitcom extra? "

:rofl:

That was hilarious.

Fixed
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#242 » by RutgersBJJ » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:22 pm

Saw this Sunday, Spike has nothing to stand on. It shows slavery in all its ugliness. It's about as racist of a movie as Life is Beautiful is anti-Semitic. Incredible movie. Even more incredible soundtrack. The James Brown and 2pac mash-up that comes at the climax is incredible. Zero Dark Thirty was better though.

All of the Oscar Screeners are available if you know where to look btw...
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Post#243 » by Jmonty580 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:31 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:Saw this Sunday, Spike has nothing to stand on. It shows slavery in all its ugliness. It's about as racist of a movie as Life is Beautiful is anti-Semitic. Incredible movie. Even more incredible soundtrack. The James Brown and 2pac mash-up that comes at the climax is incredible. Zero Dark Thirty was better though.

Eh, i thought it minimized slavery a bit and made a joke of it. Wasnt crazy about that, but the movie was well done. Not for those who are sensitive about slavery imo.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,437

Post#244 » by j4remi » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:53 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:Saw this Sunday, Spike has nothing to stand on. It shows slavery in all its ugliness. It's about as racist of a movie as Life is Beautiful is anti-Semitic. Incredible movie. Even more incredible soundtrack. The James Brown and 2pac mash-up that comes at the climax is incredible. Zero Dark Thirty was better though.

Eh, i thought it minimized slavery a bit and made a joke of it. Wasnt crazy about that, but the movie was well done. Not for those who are sensitive about slavery imo.

How did it make a joke of it? The jokes were always focused on mocking the slave owners' ignorance. The two most intelligent characters in the flick are slaves that take advantage of their "owners" to a point where Dr. King goes on a suicide mission and Stephen is the real decision maker over Candie. When the violence happens it's gritty and horrific to a massive degree too.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#245 » by Oscirus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:03 pm

Stephen was a kiss ass hypeman who was nowhere near as evil as SLJ likes to think and Django pretty much relied on Schultz to get his bride. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie but let's not pretend this was anything other then tarantino using a gimmick for his spaghetti western
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Post#246 » by Jmonty580 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:09 pm

j4remi wrote:How did it make a joke of it? The jokes were always focused on mocking the slave owners' ignorance. The two most intelligent characters in the flick are slaves that take advantage of their "owners" to a point where Dr. King goes on a suicide mission and Stephen is the real decision maker over Candie. When the violence happens it's gritty and horrific to a massive degree too.

Mostly of slave like situations. I dont know, the movie is half comedy half super hero to me. Something about taking something like slavery and turning it into that type of a movie was just slightly uncomfortable. Im sure its refreshing for a bunch seeing Django get revenge on slave owners.

I honestly didnt have any problems with the movie, but I can see why some would. It makes entertainment and light of something that alot of people are still very emotional about.
MR IB4TL
Senior
And1: 359

Post#247 » by MR IB4TL » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:45 pm

After seeing this movie yesterday, I can say the following: Inglorious Bastards is 10000x better film and a lot funnier. Also, this movie could be 60 mins shorter and be more effective. So, for that, I must credit Spike Lee for not watching this crap. The whole theme of slavery is despicable, any way you slice it, but it can not be made funny.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#248 » by blueNorange » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:50 pm

samuel l jackson is uncle ruckus
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#249 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:58 pm

What's odd is that people forget Django Unchained is a remake of Django Unchained. This is a redux of a bad B-movie. There is nothing glorious in this film. It isn't Amistad and just because it is cruel and heavy on blood doesn't make it in the least bit authentic or true to the times. It's a cheap Tarantino revenge fantasy and everybody's okay with it because all the White people die so it assuages White guilt. He's still calling people nigg*r 110 times. He's still the guy who says "Roots" is inauthentic. He's made nothing but a spoof on slavery. And he is appropriating Black culture. He doesn't have any right or background to speak on Black history. He is not a historian, not a scholar, not even Black. He is a filmmaker in the business of giving us dressed up B movies. That is all he's done.

I actually like Tavis Smiley's take on "Django"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... ained.html
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#250 » by Oscirus » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:19 pm

Did Inglorious basterds have dolls that came out with the movie too? Image
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#251 » by j4remi » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:36 pm

Oscirus wrote:Stephen was a kiss ass hypeman who was nowhere near as evil as SLJ likes to think and Django pretty much relied on Schultz to get his bride. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie but let's not pretend this was anything other then tarantino using a gimmick for his spaghetti western

Nah, Stephen runs the show. He raised Candie, he played at being weak to make Candie feel in control but every bad deed Candie does once Stephen's in the picture is thanks to Stephen. He's the one who figures out the plan, he's the one tells Candie about it and gets him into the mode to get revenge...he plays dude the whole way. The dropping of the cane is symbolic as hell in that regard.

As for King, Django is the stronger character. King completely sleeps on Django's capabilities at the first barn where Django is the catalyst and then when they go to Candy Land, King is always near breaking character because he can't take it. Django who's been through it his entire life is the one who sells the act. He spends the entire movie playing slave owners and characters. King proves he's mentally weak when he pops Candie over a hand shake.They're the mentally inferior characters and their egos get them both killed.

The comedy aspects are never aimed at the slaves, unless you count the part where the slave owner tries to explain that Django's free but not to be treated like a free man but I think that's blatantly mocking the way slaves were granted freedom but not equal rights in reality.

There wasn't a huge thematic statement for sure, but to say he made a joke of the slaves or made light of slavery is just off base. When it came to showing how brutally the slaves were treated, I think Tarantino did a damned good job and he exposed the owners as evil men with no redeeming qualities.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#252 » by j4remi » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:39 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:
j4remi wrote:How did it make a joke of it? The jokes were always focused on mocking the slave owners' ignorance. The two most intelligent characters in the flick are slaves that take advantage of their "owners" to a point where Dr. King goes on a suicide mission and Stephen is the real decision maker over Candie. When the violence happens it's gritty and horrific to a massive degree too.

Mostly of slave like situations. I dont know, the movie is half comedy half super hero to me. Something about taking something like slavery and turning it into that type of a movie was just slightly uncomfortable. Im sure its refreshing for a bunch seeing Django get revenge on slave owners.

I honestly didnt have any problems with the movie, but I can see why some would. It makes entertainment and light of something that alot of people are still very emotional about.

Honest question, did you think the same thing of Inglorious Basterds? In Django he actually shows the brutality toward the slaves in a very visceral manner...in IB you never even get exposed to the horrors that Jewish people faced...so which is worse?
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#253 » by TheToothFairy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:02 pm

I saw the Film and thought it was entertaining and non offensive

And speaking a s a Dentist I think I need to step my game up :)
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#254 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:43 pm

i liked the movie.

what fictional movie is a good movie that involves slavery?

a lot of people here are saying Django is bad because of how it portrays slavery. slavery is despicable.... any honest attempt at it would be despicable also.

i'm just curious as to what is an honest film/ entertaining film with slavery being the main subject.

i'm a movie buff, so i will watch your recommendations....
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#255 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jan 7, 2013 11:50 pm

I hope people will be as enraged next year when Spike Lee ruins the art of Korean revenge movies with his remake of Oldboy.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#256 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:11 am

If this movie offends you then you gotta another thing coming. Seriously.
You probably are the types that are serious during a Dave CHappelle and Paul Mooney comedy act.

The movie basically is a satirical take on how stupid those racist white folk were back in the day...

Most of the black people / slaves were as serious as can be..
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 612

Post#257 » by Governor Dudley » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:18 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:I hope people will be as enraged next year when Spike Lee ruins the art of Korean revenge movies with his remake of Oldboy.

They arent remaking the film. The are adapting the manga that the korean film is based On.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#258 » by truth serum » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:28 am

Spike is missing out..
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#259 » by truth serum » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:32 am

Oscirus wrote:Stephen was a kiss ass hypeman who was nowhere near as evil as SLJ likes to think and Django pretty much relied on Schultz to get his bride. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie but let's not pretend this was anything other then tarantino using a gimmick for his spaghetti western

Huh?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#260 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:37 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:If this movie offends you then you gotta another thing coming. Seriously.
You probably are the types that are serious during a Dave CHappelle and Paul Mooney comedy act.

The movie basically is a satirical take on how stupid those racist white folk were back in the day...

Most of the black people / slaves were as serious as can be..

Exactly! Even King, a clever and calculated character, is outsmarted by Samuel L's character. None of the brutality toward slaves was made light...there were jokes at the expense of the racist characters throughout but that's about it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks