ImageImage

Beyond The Scapegoat. (The Hammond Shuffle.)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Re: Beyond The Scapegoat. (The Hammond Shuffle.) 

Post#21 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:48 pm

In terms of actual impact on wins, his best move was Salmons. And it didn't even remain a great move because said move led to us overpaying him. If one of these draft picks turns into an all-star (unlikely), that will trump the Salmons move, but when your best move is a guy playing way above his career norms for 30 games to lead you to a first round exit, that's not good.

There is no way Hammond should be retained. Our best player today is worse than our best player when he came in, without any question, and in five seasons he was unable to land one long-term efficient 18ish ppg scorer. Zero playoff series wins. See ya.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#22 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:55 pm

Wickett says Monta is 100% gone after this season, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Hopefully they can trade him.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#23 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:56 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If you analyze all of Hammonds moves the last five years and use the context of timing, salary cap impact and level of assets received back........his best deal was the Bogut trade.

That's about all you need to know about John Hammond's work here.

Had he made the Houston deal instead maybe we would've had the assets to get Harden? maybe?
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#24 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:31 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
Had he made the Houston deal instead maybe we would've had the assets to get Harden? maybe?

Oh, I'm not saying there weren't a lot of better moves out there. There were.

I'm just pointing out that he was able to sell out on a player owed $27 million over the next two years who might not even play one entire year. In the process he got real assets and cap space. And he sold before the league figured out there was a cartilage tear requiring microfracture.

Now were the assets we got back ones that "fit" or made sense? No. But save for the John Salmons deal which he was presented with by the Bulls, this was the only trade where you can say our "asset" side of the ledger outweighed what we parted with.

But my bigger point is that there are no great Hammond trades to celebrate.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#25 » by SkilesTheLimit » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:33 pm

N8Frog wrote:Wickett says Monta is 100% gone after this season, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Hopefully they can trade him.

There's 11 million reasons this isn't as cut and dry as the esteemed NBA guru Wickett would like to think. Sure, Monta may not like it here, but will another team come close to giving him that kind of money?
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#26 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:this was the only trade where you can say our "asset" side of the ledger outweighed what we parted with.

I'm struggling to see what "assets" the Bucks got. Ellis? Let's see what he's turned into and if anybody will even want the guy. Udoh? An OK backup big is suddenly cause for celebration? I don't see anything about that return that would lend anyone to feel like the Bucks made out like bandits. Things become much much worse when you consider what the Bucks turned down and what that ultimately may have led to instead.
Nothing will not break me.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,303

Post#27 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:56 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:
N8Frog wrote:Wickett says Monta is 100% gone after this season, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Hopefully they can trade him.

There's 11 million reasons this isn't as cut and dry as the esteemed NBA guru Wickett would like to think. Sure, Monta may not like it here, but will another team come close to giving him that kind of money?

Worth noting that he watched Baron Davis do the same thing and he very much looked up to and idolized Baron (yes that explains a lot.) For better or worse, it was Baron, Whackson and Al no-sHarrington that taught Monta the NBA ropes and I would not be surprised to see him emulate Baron's opt-out exit at the expense of a lot of salary to try to go to a team where he wants to live/play. The other consideration is that if he goes to the bench next year for the Bucks or whomever, he may not be able to get nearly as much long term guaranteed money (even at lower annual salary than his remaining current contract year) as he may be able to secure this offseason while still sporting starter per-game numbers.
He has $11MM left of the current deal, but might still be able to sign a long term deal for >25MM over 3 or 4 years on the open market this summer. If he opts in he gets his 11MM next year, but may(likely) be in a significantly weaker position seeking a long term contract after possibly becoming a 6th man next season. Knowing he won't get 11Mil per again, the long term money becomes a significant issue vs. the annual salary on his expiring deal.

If you guys fall out of the playoffs I would bet on him opting out to get a long term deal while he can.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#28 » by InsideOut » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm in complete and total shock that anyone would take the time to defend Hammond. He sucked at win now and he sucked at adding meaningful talent. So he sucks at pretty much the two things you expect from a GM. If he was the Packers GM and had these results he would have been run out of town years ago. Five years is more than enough time to show what you got and he ain't got jack...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#29 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:02 pm

europa wrote:
I'm struggling to see what "assets" the Bucks got.

Remember, Europa, I'm not comparing this to possible outcomes he could have done like trading healthy Bogut for Horford last year or accepting Steph Curry instead of what he took.

I'm merely looking at the fact a new owner or new GM taking over today has the potential for a load of cap space this summer if Monta opts out. Or you could have traded Monta earlier or in the next month for some type of asset. And we got another $10mm of cap space from Capt. Jack that they used on Ersan. Plus a good backup center which Hammond wasn't able to acquire anytime prior. And on the timing, had Hammond not dealt Bogut for something last March, we'd be sitting with $27 million of microfracture on the bench.

Show me other Hammond trades where the assets we acquired had the ability to be used in a very positive way. Other than Salmons, there just aren't any. Capt. Jack, Maggette, RJ, dropping 12 spots in the 2011 draft.

Realize I'm giving faint praise here.

unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#30 » by unklchuk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:04 pm

I believe (but have no direct proof) that Hammond is a pretty astute evaluator of talent who's under a lot of pressure to do things that he normally wouldn't do because of Kohl. He's stuck trading for whatever big-name, over-rated, overpaid scorers are available because Kohl insists on making a splash.

I think Hammond could contribute as an assistant GM. Think he has some knack for talent. But as GM, he's promoted to his level of incompetence. At least, the result is incompetence when he has to mind meld with Kohl.

He's like a bookkeeper, with lousy people skills. Send him into the marketplace to negotiate, and he's out of his depth. Gets played. Makes decisions for trivial reasons. Lacks street smarts. All of which may once have made him a mirror-image fit with Kohl. But Kohl sours on his GMs with a few years time (like he certainly did with the eccentric but interesting Harris), and seems to have soured on Hammond.
AFAIK, IDKM
europa
RealGM

Post#31 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:12 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote:
I'm struggling to see what "assets" the Bucks got.

Remember, Europa, I'm not comparing this to possible outcomes he could have done like trading healthy Bogut for Horford last year or accepting Steph Curry instead of what he took.

I'm merely looking at the fact a new owner or new GM taking over today has the potential for a load of cap space this summer if Monta opts out. Or you could have traded Monta earlier or in the next month for some type of asset. And we got another $10mm of cap space from Capt. Jack that they used on Ersan. Plus a good backup center which Hammond wasn't able to acquire anytime prior. And on the timing, had Hammond not dealt Bogut for something last March, we'd be sitting with $27 million of microfracture on the bench.

Show me other Hammond trades where the assets we acquired had the ability to be used in a very positive way. Other than Salmons, there just aren't any. Capt. Jack, Maggette, RJ, dropping 12 spots in the 2011 draft.

Realize I'm giving faint praise here.

The problem Press is this isn't a hypothetical. We know what the Bucks could have gotten. Instead, they chose (in my opinion) the lesser option. There's no speculation necessary. We know what the offer was and we know what the Bucks ultimately did. Given how far superior (again in my opinion) the initial offer was it's impossible for me to consider the Bogut trade to be anything other than a failure and a massive one at that. If we want to speculate I'll say again that the Bucks were holding all the cards there given how badly the Warriors wanted Bogut so on top of what GS offered I think if Hammond had played the situation right he could've bent them over and asked for even more. They wanted Bogut bad.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#32 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:16 pm

Europa, we could have done better. No arguments there. Just pointing out that it was the only major trade he made save for Salmons where we actually won on assets.

Chuck sums up my thoughts well. Hammond is a great #2 guy who would help a good GM find people like Larry Sanders. But he's way out of his league in the ability to navigate the modern NBA with all the financial considerations of today. And he doesn't have the people skills to negotiate with other GM's nor with Kohl.

europa
RealGM

Post#33 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:19 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Europa, we could have done better. No arguments there. Just pointing out that it was the only major trade he made save for Salmons where we actually won on assets.

And I disagree that the Bucks "won" that trade. I think it was a failure and easily one of the worst moves of Hammond's tenure. I think Hammond's made a number of far superior trades. The two I listed and I'd include Mo for Ridnour too. In fact, I've always thought Hammond did quite well with most of his trades in his first two seasons. But Season 3 everything started going in the toilet and little has positively surfaced since then.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#34 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:39 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
Kevin Pelton

More changes ahead for Bucks?

"The most immediate task for Boylan will be finding a consistent rotation in the frontcourt. Guards Ellis and Brandon Jennings have started all 32 games, but eight different players have made a start at either forward or center. Hammond hasn't made things easy on his coach by drafting up front the last three years (Larry Sanders, Tobias Harris and John Henson), adding another young player (Ekpe Udoh) via trade and accumulating veterans Samuel Dalembert, Drew Gooden and Ersan Ilyasova. None of the group has been able to stand out and secure a consistent spot, leaving the lineup in constant flux. ... Bucks management faces bigger questions after the season. Hammond is also in the final year of his contract, and since winning Executive of the Year in 2009-10, his moves have left Milwaukee stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. Sneaking into the playoffs may not be enough to save Hammond's job."
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
europa
RealGM

Post#35 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:41 pm

DocHoliday wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
Kevin Pelton

More changes ahead for Bucks?

"Guards Ellis and Brandon Jennings have started all 32 games, but eight different players have made a start at either forward or center.

Trying to fix the problem by ignoring the problem. I'm stun that didn't work.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#36 » by Run-MKE 311 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:12 pm

Hammond does not skate by any means, Skiles is painted as the main villian, but Johnny has also done little to inspire confidence.

Anyone who wants to climb into the insane mind of Herb Kohl, be my guest.
Ball so hard.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#37 » by xTitan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:15 pm

This would be a surprise to me and extremely disappointing....

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP
John Hammond RT @jpcadorin: "The senator and I are in the process of working out an extension for me"
xTitan
RealGM

Post#38 » by xTitan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:16 pm

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP
Here ya go! Goal is playoffs! RT @jpcadorin: JH: Goals remain the same. Most of all, we want to win, we want to be a playoff team.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#39 » by xTitan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:17 pm

This I can promise you is a lie......

Andrew Wagner ‏@ByAndrewWagner
"Scott and I did not have a frosty relationship and Scott did not hate his team." -Hammond
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#40 » by Epicurus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:24 pm

I believe that there is considerable variation in the decisions made by gms, as opposed by coaches. Thus believe the NBA is first a players' league, but next a gm league. Thus when a franchise is problemmatic, of the nonplayer moves would first be getting rid of the gm and not the coach.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks