Players who don't sound how you expected them to.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Players who don't sound how you expected them to. 

Post#1 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:08 pm

The NBA has a lot of players, and as fans not all of us get to hear how all of them sound. We don't all watch interview videos of each player. Sometimes we kind of make assumptions of how these players sound like when they talk. For example, you'd expect a big center to have a deep voice or something.

Are there any players in the NBA who sound different than how you expected them too?

For me, one of those players was Kwame Brown.

Richard Jefferson was surprising as well. He was a flashy player in his prime so I kind of expected him to be somewhat of a smooth talker for some reason. He kind of has a geeky voice, but it's cool how he's that down to earth type of guy.

For a lot of NBA fans, I'm sure a lot of them were surprised by Monta Ellis. Dude has a thick accent.
#DubNation
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Re: Players who don't sound how you expected them to. 

Post#2 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:11 pm

Rondo, purely because of his high pitched voice.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,296

Post#3 » by sunskerr » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:13 pm

Andre Miller for sure
msg4k90
Junior
And1: 84

Post#4 » by msg4k90 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:20 pm

i'd say grant hill.
Andre3822
Bench Warmer
And1: 418

Post#5 » by Andre3822 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:22 pm

For some reason, Tim Duncan lol.
koko88
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#6 » by koko88 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:26 pm

shane battier
JBautista
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#7 » by JBautista » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:29 pm

Evan Turner for sure
CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Post#8 » by CreaM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:33 pm

Insert black player who you thought was dumb/gangsta but isn't. :roll:
Felixano
Banned User
And1: 76

Post#9 » by Felixano » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:40 pm

CreaM wrote:Insert black player who you thought was dumb/gangsta but isn't. :roll:

Insert racist. It's ridiculous how these blatantly racist comments are just skipped over by moderators. Honestly.
LEHGOCELTICS
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#10 » by LEHGOCELTICS » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_JlY7l8T0[/youtube]

/End Thread
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#11 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:44 pm

CreaM wrote:Insert black player who you thought was dumb/gangsta but isn't. :roll:

I didn't mean to sound racist when I said I thought Kwame would be a little dumb. I even expected someone would call me out for that, but I still said what I said anyways because It's not about color to me, I just had my assumption of him because of his reputation as a really bad player especially as a #1 overall pick. Most of the time, the players with the good BBIQ are the ones who play good (i.e. Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan, Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, CP3, etc).

I guess it's just really consistent how people always claim someone is racist just because he thinks a player with low BBIQ may not be so articulate in real life.

I was browsing a Warriors forum in the offseason before the 2011-2012 season and when they signed Kwame Brown, a Warriors fan said the same thing as me when he saw them interview Kwame. He was surprised at how smart Kwame was, but a couple Warriors fans called him racist. I still remember that when making this thread, but I didn't think people would actually still think something like that is racist, I just think that if someone was smart like Kwame in real life and had the physical tools to be a great athlete, he would be a great NBA player, too. It worked for players like Duncan, Kobe, Durant etc.
#DubNation
GetMoney
Analyst
And1: 1,035

Post#12 » by GetMoney » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:44 pm

i dont think that's a racist statement. i thought he was pointing out how unconsciously racist this thread is

and he has a point. anytime a black player doesnt sound like an idiot they say "WOW, he's so articulate!!"

pure racism
ImageImage. . . AND STILL
The Infamous1 wrote:It's only so long Weak teams can pretend
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#13 » by detroitKG » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:46 pm

JBautista wrote:Evan Turner for sure

/thread first time I saw turner then heard his voice I feel out if my chair laughing lol was not what I was expecting.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#14 » by MaliBrah » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:47 pm

asik sounds like the terminator LOL

and brandon bass
CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Post#15 » by CreaM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:49 pm

Felixano wrote:

Insert racist. It's ridiculous how these blatantly racist comments are just skipped over by moderators. Honestly.

I'm black myself. If you dont understand why I said what I said then thats your problem. I think this is a stupid thread because a lot of people are just going to associate wrong stereotypes with reality. This is not the first time a thread like this has been made on realGM, so the remark I made was based on historical evidence.

You'll get stuff like "I didn't think Luol Deng could speak like that" or "Chris Bosh is more articulate than I initially thought". I've read stuff like that on this site as well as other social networking sites so its really nothing new.
IMHO
Junior
And1: 24

Post#16 » by IMHO » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:55 pm

Michael Kidd Gilchrist

/thread
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#17 » by Side beard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:57 pm

JR, Thought his voice will be little bit more highpitched than it is.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#18 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:57 pm

CreaM wrote:
Felixano wrote:

I'm black myself. If you dont understand why I said what I said then thats your problem. I think this is a stupid thread because a lot of people are just going to associate wrong stereotypes with reality. This is not the first time a thread like this has been made on realGM, so the remark I made was based on historical evidence.

You'll get stuff like "I didn't think Luol Deng could speak like that" or "Chris Bosh is more articulate than I initially thought". I've read stuff like that on this site as well as other social networking sites so its really nothing new.

I understand what you mean, my bad if you feel that way. I edited my previous post to mention a time where a Warriors fan got called racist for making similar comments to mine about Kwame Brown when Golden State first signed him, I just didn't think people easily think that's racist which is why I posted my opinion on Kwame anyway. It's just that when you have a smart player like Kwame, you would think he would use that to make him a better player. That's what other smart players like Kobe, Duncan, Durant, etc. do in order to be good, which is why I was suprised when such a bad player like Kwame was so smart. He has a the physical tools to be good.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread if you want.
#DubNation
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#19 » by nickforthreee » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:18 pm

Terrence ross. Hes actually seems like a really nice humble guy which i wasnt expecting
NjNeTs1029
Starter
And1: 98

Post#20 » by NjNeTs1029 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:22 pm

Richard Jefferson

Return to The General Board