ImageImageImageImageImage

A question about scheduling

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptors Aiya
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

A question about scheduling 

Post#1 » by Raptors Aiya » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:26 pm

I wonder if anyone can answer this.

Yesterday there was talk on the Radio that some of the guys on the OKC team were a little tired to play on Sunday due to the fact that a lot of the guys went out to party in Toronto the night before. And someone mentioned that its a "Trap Game" for Toronto where they lure teams into the city to play a 1/2PM game on a Sunday knowing full well that the team would have to arrive the Saturday before and go HAM on Saturday night.

So my question is, do teams make "Requests" to the league regarding when they want to play or prefer to play? I thought the fact that Raptors play most every Sunday was just a coincidence and that the Leafs play every Saturday at 7 was just some kind of old NHL tradition.

I always thought scheduling was up to the League and teams just took what they got.

Any thoughts?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Re: A question about scheduling 

Post#2 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:25 pm

Not sure this is a request, but NBA made the schedule. As for afternoon games, Toronto has multiple European players, and probably signed some oversea contracts for TV rights (which may also share with the league).
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#3 » by Ditchweed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:49 pm

Saturday evening is for Leafs hockey a la Hockey Night in Canada. Has been for 50 years and always will be.

Raptors play Friday evening and Sunday afternoon when the crowds can/will get to games.

Scheduling is not just the league by itself, it is done in conjunction with the teams and availability of arenas, else you wouldn't see messed up or crammed schedules then long layoffs. If it was just the league doing it, there would be more evenly spaced schedules.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#4 » by KnickerBonkerz » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:06 pm

This thread has been made many times on here...

Personally, I think it's just a lucky coincidence and the real reason Raptors want to schedule games on Sunday afternoons is to get kids to go to the games and watch the games at home. That and they can't play on Saturdays too often cuz of the Leafs.

Return to Toronto Raptors