ImageImageImageImageImage

Until further notice The Knicks are soft.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: Until further notice The Knicks are soft. 

Post#61 » by TKF » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:43 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:we are not soft
we are not mentally weak

what we are is at the next level talent-wise which is why teams that are lesser than us use thug tactics

fans of the knicks should know this. we used these tactics all through the 90s. we were often vastly less skilled than our competition but we played tougher, harder and intimidated our opponents as often as not.

the Celtics are a sub-500 team missing their best player. They countered with strong D and overly physical play. We tried to counter with shooting and speed. We failed. Just like against Chi.

There are few teams that have a combo of talent and physicality. Typically one or the other. Mem has both. Min too. Utah sorta.

Anyway what matters is that when we play small the physically play works against us because Melo has to over play bigger guys on D and gives up a lot on offense. If they bang him with a C or PF he doesnt flail and fall like LBJ and he doesnt get the calls so he lets it get under his skin.

We need to meet opponents Physicality with a combo of our own - Melo, Tyson, Thomas, Amare and Wallace are all very tough inside - and skill - we need penetration and dishing not post up play against thugs

despite the early record, do you honestly think that the celts and bulls are less than us? which is why they use "thug" tactics? not sure if that is a fair assesment, both the bulls and celts play this way vs everyone.. it is what they are and why they have been so successful over the past few years...

fans of the knicks should know this. we used these tactics all through the 90s. we were often vastly less skilled than our competition but we played tougher, harder and intimidated our opponents as often as not.

not sure I agree with that, we played that way because it suited the players we had, Ewing was always a top player in the league, oakley a top rebounder, we had talent, we played that way because we could, it suited a lot of those guys personality....
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#62 » by blumatic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:00 pm

Im glad people are seeing what I am seeing. We are a top 5 team in this league. I hold this team to a high standard.

In the past when the Celtics and other teams would blow us out, we were non competitive not necessarily soft.

We are a talented team and team with depth the rivals only the Clippers. But we get rattled so easily.

I wish this team would relish these games and enjoy the theatrics and use it against other teams. But its something the we have time to learn. And the next 2 games are a big test.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#63 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:21 pm

Soft is an extremely poor use of words.

Tyson
Amare
Melo
Sheed
KT
Shump
JR
Felton
Kidd
Camby

I dont see a single person in that group that is soft. We are still undermanned and not healthy. We'll see who the soft team is when we are at full strength.
blumatic
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by blumatic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:50 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Soft is an extremely poor use of words.

Tyson
Amare
Melo
Sheed
KT
Shump
JR
Felton
Kidd
Camby

I dont see a single person in that group that is soft. We are still undermanned and not healthy. We'll see who the soft team is when we are at full strength.

Im using soft differently. There is a button some teams have the ability to press to allow the Knicks to unravel. I think this team is tough but we let these teams impose their will on us.

I have seen them win a game like this yet. Until they win a few, I cant say they are mentally tough as a team.

I still have hope. Im not delcaring out goals unattainable now. I didnt say that they dont show effort. But man they allow teams to get under their skin.

I though the Knicks did a good job by not really going after the refs. But it just looked bad last night and we've seen that a few times this year.
UrbanLegend
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#65 » by UrbanLegend » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:03 pm

Any cry-mella lead team will always be soft. Weren't Knick fans crucifying the crymella after he shoved Wilson Chandler or something? And now the crymella is the savoir? Hardly...
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,616

Post#66 » by mpharris36 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:08 pm

UrbanLegend wrote:Any cry-mella lead team will always be soft. Weren't Knick fans crucifying the crymella after he shoved Wilson Chandler or something? And now the crymella is the savoir? Hardly...

your best player is overrated and a coach killer

curious george is average at best

Blopez stinks

and

Blatche sexual assualts girls

now please see yourself out!
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
all41n14all
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#67 » by all41n14all » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:13 pm

Just wait till wallace and shumpert come back, their physicality will help us out a bunch. Felton's drive-in ability should help ease the toughness teams play with.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#68 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:14 pm

blumatic wrote:

Tyson
Amare
Melo
Sheed
KT
Shump
JR
Felton
Kidd
Camby

Im using soft differently. There is a button some teams have the ability to press to allow the Knicks to unravel. I think this team is tough but we let these teams impose their will on us.

I have seen them win a game like this yet. Until they win a few, I cant say they are mentally tough as a team.

I still have hope. Im not delcaring out goals unattainable now. I didnt say that they dont show effort. But man they allow teams to get under their skin.

I though the Knicks did a good job by not really going after the refs. But it just looked bad last night and we've seen that a few times this year.

Gotta realize that every team runs into games where they lose their philosophy and head. That this has happened all of two or three times to the Knicks is not a reason to call them mentally weak...especially not when you consider the amount of fluctuations they've dealt with due to injuries, the record they've managed with an insanely tough start to the season and the multitude of games where they've completely imposed their will on teams.

The only button that I've seen work against the Knicks is refs missing calls, which is frustrating to see of course...but it's not like every team to play physical against the Knicks has caused them to collapse or like they mail it in against any team. The fact that they came across as weak to people in a game where they only lost by 6 points despite their star player having his worst game of the season is kind of surprising to me.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#69 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:17 pm

j4remi wrote:
blumatic wrote:

Tyson
Amare
Melo
Sheed
KT
Shump
JR
Felton
Kidd
Camby

Gotta realize that every team runs into games where they lose their philosophy and head. That this has happened all of two or three times to the Knicks is not a reason to call them mentally weak...especially not when you consider the amount of fluctuations they've dealt with due to injuries, the record they've managed with an insanely tough start to the season and the multitude of games where they've completely imposed their will on teams.

The only button that I've seen work against the Knicks is refs missing calls, which is frustrating to see of course...but it's not like every team to play physical against the Knicks has caused them to collapse or like they mail it in against any team. The fact that they came across as weak to people in a game where they only lost by 6 points despite their star player having his worst game of the season is kind of surprising to me.

Great post.
Xekana
Senior
And1: 12

Post#70 » by Xekana » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:25 pm

UrbanLegend wrote:Any cry-mella lead team will always be soft. Weren't Knick fans crucifying the crymella after he shoved Wilson Chandler or something? And now the crymella is the savoir? Hardly...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No.

Sent from my phone.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#71 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:28 pm

Xekana wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No.

Sent from my phone.

I would love to have ill Will back on this team. Would be much easier to get then Gallo (Saying because of Gallo thread).

He would be a great back up to Melo, and he is a player who can guard multiple positions. Denver is loaded at forward. But we dont have anything to trade for him, so its a moot point.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#72 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:33 pm

TKF wrote:despite the early record, do you honestly think that the celts and bulls are less than us? which is why they use "thug" tactics? not sure if that is a fair assesment, both the bulls and celts play this way vs everyone.. it is what they are and why they have been so successful over the past few years...

the Bulls without Rose are less talented than us. yes. The Celtics even with Rondo and especially without are less talented

yes

TKF wrote:

not sure I agree with that, we played that way because it suited the players we had, Ewing was always a top player in the league, oakley a top rebounder, we had talent, we played that way because we could, it suited a lot of those guys personality....

Ewing indeed was always a top player. After him we had great role players and some average ones.

compared to the other teams the bulls defeated we were much less pure skill. compared to the bulls themselves, clearly.
blumatic
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by blumatic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:56 pm

j4remi wrote:
blumatic wrote:

Tyson
Amare
Melo
Sheed
KT
Shump
JR
Felton
Kidd
Camby

Thank you for your reasonable post. It makes a lot of sense.

But, those team who dont play physical against the Knicks Im not concerned about because we havent lost to them and if we have they are in the Western Conference. But the Bulls and Celtics are potential 2nd round opponents. And I see ECF for the Knicks.

But you know whats gonna happen. This is going to be a story if the Knicks continue. "Composure" will be the key word against some of these teams towards the end of the season and they may respond witha huge run the the championship.

But for now..............No good.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#74 » by Pharmcat » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:07 pm

at least these guys dont take up massive flopping when things dont go right for them

i wouldnt say its soft, i would just say they need to maintain their focus for 48 mins
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,911

Post#75 » by NYKinMIA » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:08 am

Pharmcat wrote:at least these guys dont take up massive flopping when things dont go right for them

i wouldnt say its soft, i would just say they need to maintain their focus for 48 mins

No doubt. I think flopping is WAY more of an embarrassment than what happened last night. But yes, more focus and thicker skin please.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,997

Post#76 » by god shammgod » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:13 am

cry-mella just doesn't have a good ring to it. nope. no good. your insult tastes like fruity pebbles sir.

pause
maxoleo
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#77 » by maxoleo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:25 am

love me some knick fans,playoffs will rock
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,142

Post#78 » by The Lamma » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:28 am

Soft? Disagree, especially in terms of last night which was an absolute war. Soft is giving up the fight. Our guys were giving it their all.

The Celtics hit some big shots down the stretch and that doesn't always happen from an opponent. Those shots don't go in we win the game and this thread doesn't exist.
blumatic
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by blumatic » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:38 pm

The Lamma wrote:Soft? Disagree, especially in terms of last night which was an absolute war. Soft is giving up the fight. Our guys were giving it their all.

The Celtics hit some big shots down the stretch and that doesn't always happen from an opponent. Those shots don't go in we win the game and this thread doesn't exist.

It was a battle. But Im talking about how they get so frustrated.....it takes them out of the game. The Celtics were in the same game and the game was close, and they looked like they were in their elemement.

The Celtics looked like they were built for games like that. The Bulls as well. And to me those two teams have defined how you play in the eastern Conference for the past few years.

When you are easily flustered in game where composure and mental toughness counts the Knicks are not there yet?

Definition of Soft

soft
/sôft/
Adjective
Easy to mold, cut, compress, or fold;

Just because a game is close, doesnt mean that they were a tough team. They was a mental game played yesterday, and the Knicks lost game. And they have not had a good showing.

And just because a team soft doesnt mean they are not a good team. The Mavs have had that soft label for years. 50 plus wins for over a decade and they are considered soft. ANd there is a reason why? Teams that make it to the finals can be considered soft as well.

In the 2011 Finals that was a soft performance by Lebron. When they consider him a choker, that is a form of being soft. Yes an NBA MVP can be soft. Because there is level a team or player should reach to accomplish a certain goal. If you have all the tools at your disposal and you continuously lose the same way.......you're soft because menatally you not strong enough.

Last year Lebron showed mental toughness and it is documented the steps he took to strengthen his mentality. And they Knicks as a team need to do the same.

Return to New York Knicks