ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - What Changes Needed? Poll

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Whats first

1. Fire BC
58%
2. Trade expirings
3%
3. Package a young player for pick
3%
4. Trade for Gay?
8%
5. Fire Dwayne Casey
No votes
6. Fire Scouting Department
No votes
7. Take Anything for Bargs
24%
8. Other
5%

Total votes: 38

TheForrestCity
Senior
And1: 383

OT - What Changes Needed? Poll 

Post#1 » by TheForrestCity » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:01 pm

As i look across the current Eastern Conference i am seeing teams that at this stage and nor in the coming future do I see us "competing".

Miami - Power House probably ECF for a lock of 5 years
NYK - Improved playing like the defensive gimey Knicks from the past. And what seems to be a lock for the Playoffs
Chicago - currently sitting only 4 games back and they dont even Have D Rose.

I could go on to every other team that is in front of us. All teams offer trade assets and a winning culture that has been established. Most players at this point take less money to sign with other teams for less money, this while in a generation is money hungry and to capitilize on as much income as possible. And yet players still avoid us.

I believe that a superstar powers this franchise ( Wiggins, Parker)... With BC we wont get there, but also there are underlying issues at this juncture of this franchise.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,047

Re: What Changes Needed? 

Post#2 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:06 pm

I think we have enough young talent, which is part of our problem. We tanked for Jonas, tanked for Ross, and we need to tank more to be successful? And how certain that we are getting Wiggins?

I think we need to trade our young asset for someone who can perform. Jonas is enough to build around, we need a Oakley-Camby trade to put the team in the next level.
TheForrestCity
Senior
And1: 383

Post#3 » by TheForrestCity » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:11 pm

Indeed wrote:I think we have enough young talent, which is part of our problem. We tanked for Jonas, tanked for Ross, and we need to tank more to be successful? And how certain that we are getting Wiggins?

I think we need to trade our young asset for someone who can perform. Jonas is enough to build around, we need a Oakley-Camby trade to put the team in the next level.

We still do not have a player that can get his own shot and a reliable player in the post. Yes JV is showing promise, but is Davis a starting PF? Bargs is a huge question mark everynight. Im not saying Davis is bad but would somebody like Bennett serve as a sutible replacement. Im not nessecarily saying we need to tank for Wiggins but i think our scouting along with BC has put this team in some holes when it comes to evaluating talent. Wiggins or Parker is a franchise changing move so it seems right now. Blake, Durrant, Lebron, Howard to some extent have all delivered playoffs and fun exciting teams. This is what a Wiggins type is. I know "tanking" is frowned upon... But at this stage with the way Lottery's are so called rigged. It wouldn't surprise me with a horrible record to land the Number 1 pick next year.
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Re: OT - What Changes Needed? Poll 

Post#4 » by Meursault » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:11 pm

Indeed wrote:I think we have enough young talent, which is part of our problem. We tanked for Jonas, tanked for Ross, and we need to tank more to be successful? And how certain that we are getting Wiggins?

problem is that the only player on the squad right now that's remotely close to a 2nd/3rd year Camby is Valanciunas. would you consider trading him for Nene or Okafor?
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#5 » by Meursault » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:14 pm

TheForrestCity wrote:

We still do not have a player that can get his own shot and a reliable player in the post. Yes JV is showing promise, but is Davis a starting PF? Bargs is a huge question mark everynight. Im not saying Davis is bad but would somebody like Bennett serve as a sutible replacement. Im not nessecarily saying we need to tank for Wiggins but i think our scouting along with BC has put this team in some holes when it comes to evaluating talent. Wiggins or Parker is a franchise changing move so it seems right now. Blake, Durrant, Lebron, Howard to some extent have all delivered playoffs and fun exciting teams. This is what a Wiggins type is. I know "tanking" is frowned upon... But at this stage with the way Lottery's are so called rigged. It wouldn't surprise me with a horrible record to land the Number 1 pick next year.

basically, too much marginal, young talent with marginal upside. this team could be absolute garbage, but if they had a young stud like Lillard or Irving, posters here would be much more optimistic about where the Raptors are heading.

it's kind of like chess, most people would rather start with a queen and hope to add a rook or a bishop - it takes a true grandmaster to defeat the opponent when you're working with two bishops, a rook, and a knight. that's kind of where I feel the Raptors are with a core of Ed/JV/DeMar/Ross.
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#6 » by grumpwalter » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:20 pm

Other: Fire Sale
Indeed
RealGM

Post#7 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:30 pm

TheForrestCity wrote:

DeRozan and Davis were BPA. And please don't put too much hope in Wiggins and Parker, where we have a very low chance of getting them. We should package our young player for someone proven. If it is not Gay then someone who is at starter level.

I can understand BC might not be interested from a financial perspective, but if we are trading Calderon and Bargnani, we will have enough cap space to maintain for the next 3 years. Also, DeRozan and Fields contracts are not small, so I don't see why he doesn't look for someone who is already proven.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#8 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:35 pm

Meursault wrote:

problem is that the only player on the squad right now that's remotely close to a 2nd/3rd year Camby is Valanciunas. would you consider trading him for Nene or Okafor?

Jonas is more than Camby, he can improve his offensive game. It would be DeRozan, Davis or Ross. But we let Bayless goes for nothing, so I have no clue on how this organization is building a winning team. Clearly Bayless was better in any aspect than DeRozan last season.
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#9 » by lander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:49 pm

Where is the option for moving this team to Seattle?
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#10 » by roundhead0 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:25 pm

What is needed is to get some clear starters on this team. The Raptors starting unit and bench are virtually the same in terms of talent and performance, and that's not good enough. Well, it would be good good enough if your starters and bench both played like groups of starting fives, but they really both play like pretty decent backup units instead. That's simply not good enough.

That means BC (or whoever the GM is) needs to stop blowing the capspace on so many mediocre players on mid-sized contracts, and instead start saving the cap space so that he can target better players with larger contracts.
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#11 » by Spacing » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:31 am

The talent we have on this team is not something that will net you a star but a small collection may net you a small collection of players who may benefit from different scenery. I always thought Milwaukee will be our trading partner somehow sending us a combo of Ilyasova+Jennings or Ellis+Ilyasova for Jose+Bargs.

With Skiles recently leaving the team it looks more likely that the Bucks will stand pat for a bit and see where they are. That said, there is nothing wrong with this team doing the same and re-visiting trade scenarios around the draft where we could get better value for Andrea Bargnani.

The teams main focus at this point should be looking to win enough games that our pick goes to OKC. I don't mind the idea of trading away some our players if it nets us something decent but I would rather stand pat than make a deal for the sake of it. For Toronto fans all it does is hype up the team for a bit and then when the fail again everyone just gets even more disappointed.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,303

Post#12 » by UnderdogRaptors » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:50 am

Fire BC and everything else will fall in place. Simple as that.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
s0nicm0use
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#13 » by s0nicm0use » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:18 am

first things first fire BC and then hire a competent GM who actually knows what he is doing, someone like phil jackson (he is interested in a front office position). then get rid of the dead weight mainly calderon, bargs and fields. if no good offer presents its self for bargnani, its best to amnesty him which will be addition by substraction and from there on we start a proper rebuild by stock piling young talent and draft picks
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#14 » by Berserk_Raptor » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:42 am

Lowry, Ross and JV are the only ones we should keep as starters, if we land a legit SF like Gay and a solid PF like JSmoove, we're set
@raptor21_85
SwaggWagg
Banned User
And1: 329

Post#15 » by SwaggWagg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:53 am

LeBronNextMJ wrote:Fire BC and everything else will fall in place. Simple as that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors