Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Braun Playing in WBC 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:56 pm

No big deal but there hasn't been much Brewers stuff reported lately

Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun once again will be playing for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic this spring.

In an interview Monday night on the "Rupina's Hot Stove Weekly" on SportsRadio WSSP 1250, Braun said he already had started his baseball workouts this offseason to be ready for the WBC. Braun played for Team USA in the last WBC in 2009.

“I actually started my baseball activities a little bit earlier than I usually do because I’m going to play in the World Baseball Classic this year," Braun said in that interview. "So, I have to get myself prepared a little sooner, a little quicker than I usually do.”

The roster has not been announced for Team USA but it certainly is no shock that Braun would be selected for the club. He was the National League MVP in 2011 and followed that with another tremendous season in 2012, and remains one of the top offensive performers in the majors. Spring training is starting earlier this year to allow those competing in the WBC to begin preparation.

Braun batted .381 in six games during the WBC in 2009. Team USA will begin training in Phoenix on March 4, about three weeks after the Brewers open their spring camp there. Team USA will play in first-round competition at Chase Field in Phoenix from March 7-10.

The Brewers are expected to have several other players involved in the WBC. Pitchers Yovani Gallardo and Marco Estrada are expected to play for Mexico, and relievers John Axford and Jim Henderson likely will be playing for Canada. Catcher Martin Maldonado might be a selection for Puerto Rico as well. Those rosters will be announced in the coming weeks.

Outfielder Norichika Aoki, who played for Japan in 2009, has announced he will not play in the WBC and instead will concentrate on getting ready for the Brewers' season. Japan won the first two WBC tournaments.

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Braun Playing in WBC 

Post#2 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:14 pm

Just like the Bogut saga :D
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#3 » by trwi7 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:55 pm

Our spring training games will be brutal. No Braun, no Gallardo, no Gallardo Jr., no Ax, no Henderson, maybe no Green.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#4 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:23 am

You mean the WBC hasn't been scrapped yet?
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#5 » by mlloyd10 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

LuCroy playing too
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#6 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Ax and T. Green are playing for Canada. LuC and Braun for the US. Gallardo for Mexico. Maldonado for PR.

I don't mind the every day players going. I am not comfortable with Gallardo going though. The intensity is off the charts and there has been a substantial history of pitchers getting hurt, likely due to the warm up period that is spring training.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#7 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2013 ... isruptions

Brewers have a league high 13 players (tied with Minnesota who also has 13) in the WBC.
The list of WBC-bound Brewers includes outfielder Ryan Braun and catcher Jonathan Lucroy of Team USA; pitchers Yovani Gallardo and Marco Estrada of Team Mexico; relievers John Axford and Jim Henderson, infielder Taylor Green and outfielder Rene Tosoni of Canada; third baseman Mike Walker of Australia; catcher Martin Maldonado and pitcher Hiram Burgos of Puerto Rico; shortstop Hainley Statia of the Netherlands; and shortstop Jeff Bianchi of Italy.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers