Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Can Lakers make to the playoffs in wild wild west?

Yes, Kobe + Dwight + Gasol + Nash are you kidding me?
24%
No, this team struggles so hard, it's hard for them to make to the playoffs this season
47%
Not sure, I have to wait and see, Steve isn't in the lineup yet.
14%
Don't care
15%

Total votes: 325

Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Re: Can Lakers make to the Playoffs this year? 

Post#241 » by Young_Star11 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:28 am

Houston, San Antonio and Oklahoma City this week. Could be an 0-3 week.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#242 » by branny » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:55 am

Young_Star11 wrote:Houston, San Antonio and Oklahoma City this week. Could be an 0-3 week.

Mhmm
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#243 » by pross » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:36 am

Said this preseason and Laker fans laughed at me. Guess I was right

"One thing we do get from preseason games is a good idea of how the benches are. While the Lakers have an out of this world starting 5, the bench is one of the worst in the league. That can play a factor in the season as the season is long and Kobe/Nash/MWP aren't spring chickens anymore and injuries do a occur."
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#244 » by ricochet » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:39 am

DLaren wrote:I'm not sure why people are convinced that Portland, Utah, & Minnesota can hold their 3-game leads over the Lakers for the next 45+ games.

The Lakers will be in the playoffs; I'm predicting they'll grab the 6th spot, and if healthy they'll beat the Clippers in RD1, beat Golden State in RD2, beat the Spurs in RD3, then lose to the Heat in the Finals.

:rofl:

Good God, this is sig worthy.
If they were ever to meet the Clippers in the playoffs, they would be humiliated to no end. It would probably be a sweep.
Never Wrong
Banned User
And1: 496

Post#245 » by Never Wrong » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:45 am

Young_Star11 wrote:Houston, San Antonio and Oklahoma City this week. Could be an 0-3 week.

And the first two are on the road and back-to-back. Yeah, they're definitely not winning for a while.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,185

Post#246 » by Nuntius » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:49 am

420 wrote:
DLaren wrote:I'm not sure why people are convinced that Portland, Utah, & Minnesota can hold their 3-game leads over the Lakers for the next 45+ games.
I don't know how many games the Lakers have remaining against those teams, but any losses to those teams would really hurt LALs playoff chances.

2 games against Portland (1 home, 1 away), 1 game against Utah (home) and 3 against Minnesota (1 home, 2 away).
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#247 » by Young_Star11 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:57 am

The problem with the Lakers is that ever since Nash rejoined the lineup they haven't been great either. Making the same mistakes or being shown up for their obvious flaws - having to work harder than other teams for their points, a poor bench, an aging starting lineup etc.
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#248 » by va-mos » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:39 pm

Interesting to see how the Lakers play without Gasol and Howard. Maybe coach prefers this so he can exercise "small-ball". But even if small-ball works, what happens when Howard's labia heals and Gasol returns? What then?
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#249 » by jc23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:41 pm

The lakers were a slow and old team last season. They could not stop quick guards or anyone on transition defense. Obviously Nash was not going to help with that, but they were hopeful that D12 would be back to his DPOY status. That s has not been the case.

Even if they make the playoffs it will be as a bottom seed and they are not beating okc, lac or sas on the road.

If they lose the next 3 games they will be 15-21 with 46 more games to go. Two seasons ago the 8th seed in the West record was 46-36.

So if that was to hold true this year the lakers would have to go 31-15 starting January 13th until the end of the season.

A month ago i picked no way they miss but now it looks like it just aint going to happen.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#250 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:50 pm

Nash
Kobe
MWP
Jamison
Sacre
???
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#251 » by GeneralNbaFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:18 pm

ricochet wrote:

The Lakers will be in the playoffs; I'm predicting they'll grab the 6th spot, and if healthy they'll beat the Clippers in RD1, beat Golden State in RD2, beat the Spurs in RD3, then lose to the Heat in the Finals.

If they were ever to meet the Clippers in the playoffs, they would be humiliated to no end. It would probably be a sweep.

No your f.... reaction is sig worthy.... Doesnt matter what happens, the LA are favourites to win A 7 GAME SERIES vs the Clippers (if healthy)....
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#252 » by GeneralNbaFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:20 pm

Portland is 3.5 games away, and I think that LA will catch them up ( if Dwight is not missing more than 3-5 games) and Utah and Minnesota had no shot to make it to the playoffs!
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#253 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:32 pm

GeneralNbaFan wrote:Portland is 3.5 games away, and I think that LA will catch them up ( if Dwight is not missing more than 3-5 games) and Utah and Minnesota had no shot to make it to the playoffs!

Dwight has a torn labrum.... That's the same injury Jameer Nelson had in the 08-09 season. He got the injury on February 2nd of 09, he didn't return until the playoffs. To think Dwight is only going to miss a week like they said originally is a joke. If he does return, it'll be him playing severely injured.

If the Lakers catch Portland, it'll be because the Blazers schedule is getting much tougher and these huge minutes their starters are playing will catch up to them.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
koko88
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#254 » by koko88 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:40 pm

GeneralNbaFan wrote:
ricochet wrote:

No your f.... reaction is sig worthy.... Doesnt matter what happens, the LA are favourites to win A 7 GAME SERIES vs the Clippers (if healthy)....

wake up. this is the 2012-2013 season. the clippers are the best team in LA and will be favourites vs lakers. they are better at basketball.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#255 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:48 pm

I think everyone needs to calm down and think of the consequences behind using someone's quote as a signature before anything else gets cursed again.
LEHGOCELTICS
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#256 » by LEHGOCELTICS » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:55 pm

GeneralNbaFan wrote:
ricochet wrote:

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#257 » by Froob » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm starting to think they won't, but things can change so quickly. Celtics were toast like a week ago and now they've beaten 3 good east teams in a row. Obviously, it will be a lot harder for the lakers to do that in the west but, they do have a lot of talented players.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
DLaren
Pro Prospect
And1: 748

Post#258 » by DLaren » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:09 pm

ricochet wrote:

If the Clippers & the Lakers meet in the first-round that would potentially be 7-home games for the Lakers.

I'd actually be pulling for the Clippers (hard) in that series, but I don't think they would be able to handle the full-weight of Southern California booing them in their own building for 7-games; psychological advantage, Lakers.
1.Jordan 2.Kareem 3.Lebron 4.Magic 5.Bird 6.Russell 7.Duncan 8.Wilt 9.Kobe 10.Shaq
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#259 » by BaunceyChillups » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:10 pm

GeneralNbaFan wrote:Portland is 3.5 games away, and I think that LA will catch them up ( if Dwight is not missing more than 3-5 games) and Utah and Minnesota had no shot to make it to the playoffs!

Dwight's gone at least a month and the Lakers could plausibly be 16-23 by January 20th

their schedule this month is brutal
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#260 » by Darain » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:16 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:I think everyone needs to calm down and think of the consequences behind using someone's quote as a signature before anything else gets cursed again.

:lol: :lol:

Went from one of the ridiculed to one of the most feared poster on here :lol:
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.

Return to The General Board