Phoenix/Memphis/Cleveland 6 Player Swap...

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Phoenix/Memphis/Cleveland 6 Player Swap... 

Post#1 » by pja123 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:47 pm

Suns get:
Rudy Gay
Quincy Pondexter

Grizz get:
Jared Dudley
Wes Johnson
Omri Casspi
future 1st round pick (from Phoenix)

Cavs get:
Michael Beasley

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE SUNS:
They get a near-20ppg scorer in Gay to add to their foundation.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE GRIZZ:
They save a bunch of money and get back a solid replacement 3 in Dudley.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE CAVS:
They get rid of someone who wants out (Casspi) and get back a talented 3/4 in Beasley. He's signed to a reasonable long-term deal as well.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Re: Phoenix/Memphis/Cleveland 6 Player Swap... 

Post#2 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:51 pm

Casspi has already backed out of the statement that he wanted out.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#3 » by TruthTelling » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:55 pm

Phoenix is not giving up Dudley and a first round pick for Gay who is hardly better than Dudley at 4 times the price.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,342

Post#4 » by jowglenn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:03 pm

I gotta admit, Cleveland does seem like one of the few teams desperate enough to take a chance on Beasley.... that side of the deal could work.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#5 » by BossHoggin » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:05 pm

jowglenn wrote:I gotta admit, Cleveland does seem like one of the few teams desperate enough to take a chance on Beasley.... that side of the deal could work.

:lol: no.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,957

Post#6 » by shrink » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:32 pm

TruthTelling wrote:Phoenix is not giving up Dudley and a first round pick for Gay who is hardly better than Dudley at 4 times the price.

Um .. Mr. "Truth-telling?"

You're not commenting on the trade honestly if you only talk about the bad for your side.

1. You just RECEIVED that 1st to eat Wes Johnson's contract. So it's unfair to make a big deal about giving up a pick without even mentioning that you get out of Wes Johnson's contract.

2. You're also dumping Beasley's $18 mil -- which you again conveniently ignore.

3. I think it's very dishonest to say you have to give up Dudley "at four times the price" when Dudley PLUS WES JOHNSON PLUS BEASLEY is not even close to "four times the price!"

Would you respect a post like this from a MEM poster that ignored pieces, and said "No way we'd give up Poindexter for Wes Johnson plus Casspi at "six times the price!"

If you don't like the trade -- that's cool. But you can't ignore the good for PHX in moving Beasley and probably Wes Johnson.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
TruthTelling
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#7 » by TruthTelling » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:44 pm

Beasley is owed only 12m at this point and johnson is expiring.

The suns give up about 30m in total salary and pick up commitment of 50m

Dumping beasley 3yr/18 contract that is only partially guaranteed is meaningless if u get a 3yr/57m contract in return and give up a player on 4/16 that gives u the same production
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#8 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:58 pm

This is actually a well thought out trade. It works off lots of rumors floating around...that Suns want Gay, Casspi wants out (and to the poster saying he went back on that statement...they always do...it's a team sport, what else can they say when an individual requests makes the media, they need to save face amongst teammates), and Memphis gets players at SG and SF who can contribute on a win now team (also save them Lux Tax money too).

Biggest if's about the trade is do Cavs want Beasley and everything that come with him? A 1st rounder may need to go the way of Cavs to grease the trade wheel.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#9 » by NashtyNas » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:08 pm

Suns will easily do this, not a problem. Instead of a future first, though, we'll give Memphis their first back this year. We don't need it because we have numerous other picks, and it's not gonna be very good anyway.

Let's get it done!

To be honest, if a deal does happen (between PHX/MEM), it will be something very similar to this:
Rudy Gay for Dudley, Beasley, Johnson, Memphis 1st returned

Memphis hopes yet another change of scenery along with a truly defined role helps Beasley out. Dudley is an excellent replacement for Gay in the starting lineup and Beasley would be scorer off the bench (something he may flourish at with good defenders like Allen and Gasol around him, who don't need the shots).

Phoenix takes a gamble at a 'star' player; personally, I don't like Gay, but I know the reality. We won't get a player as good as him with ease, and we need him to sell seats + attract further talent. If we're planning to contend, we need to improve and look like we're willing to do it, or the guys we have will leave and we'll be left with nothing.

Plus this would mean no Beasley, which is always great. Losing Dudley is the only hard part, but I definitely would do it, and it looks like the management feels the same way. I mean, we'd be a GOOD PF and a Matthews type SG away from being complete, and we have a ton of assets still remaining.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#10 » by jowglenn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:09 pm

BossHoggin wrote:
jowglenn wrote:I gotta admit, Cleveland does seem like one of the few teams desperate enough to take a chance on Beasley.... that side of the deal could work.

:lol: no.

Um, no offense, but Cleveland is currently slated to have a salary that is under the salary FLOOR next year. You know there's a salary floor? It's like 46 million. You have to have that on your roster by the end of the season, or you end up splitting the difference between the rest of your players. So you might as well get somebody if you're going to be that far under the floor.

Or wait, don't tell me, they're saving their cap space to sign a big FA this summer? :D

Cavs total salary obligations next season: Roughly 28 million. Basically you grab Beasley for 2 years, 12 million in 13/14 and 14/15. It doesn't interfere with any of your plans. He fits the clearest spot of need at SF. If he doesn't work, fine, but it's not like he's in the way of anything.

So don't you :lol: no me buddy. Cavs have worthless expirings like Casspi, Gibson, Walton, and trading them for iffy 2-3 year deal guys who could still have a chance at putting it together is a smart strategy for them.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#11 » by NashtyNas » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:20 pm

No need to be hostile Jowglenn, but BossHoggin, if you're going to make smug remarks, you should at least explain why you think that way, otherwise you're the one being laughed at.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh I'm not hostile. I just thought it was a good opportunity, because really he stepped right into it.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#13 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:25 pm

I am 105% certain that Cleveland wants nothing to do with Beasley.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
BossHoggin
General Manager

Post#14 » by BossHoggin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:45 am

I'm not justifying why I don't want a scrub like Beasley on the Cavs, a suns fan should be able to figure that out since he has the bust on his team currently.

I'm laughing that you think I owe you anything. The Cavs aren't going to pay Beasley just because RealGM poster jowglenn thinks they need to spend money.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
BossHoggin
General Manager

Post#15 » by BossHoggin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:45 am

jowglenn wrote:Oh I'm not hostile. I just thought it was a good opportunity, because really he stepped right into it.

:lol:
BossHoggin
General Manager

Post#16 » by BossHoggin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:47 am

mcfly1204 wrote:I am 105% certain that Cleveland wants nothing to do with Beasley.

Are we going to attack him too? Because this is exactly how every Cavs fan feels. They could have taken him from the Heat if they wanted him.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#17 » by Niko23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:11 am

And my math might be incorrect but I have our salary at around 41 million with 2 rookies from the 2013 draft.

Return to Trades and Transactions