ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Scott Skiles fired?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Re: OT: Scott Skiles fired? 

Post#21 » by Chaos Engine » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:52 am

Master Ze wrote:I feel like Skiles always over-acheives with his roster. I would switch Skiles for Casey any day.

Agreed.
Laowai
Analyst
And1: 26

Post#22 » by Laowai » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:52 am

He will likely get the Nets job.
Canadian in China
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#23 » by Pchu » Tue Jan 8, 2013 1:18 pm

Not a surprise. Skiles has dones this kind of thing before. He is a good coach, but he wears out his players within 3-4 years and then either his players hate him or he hate his players.

I doubt he will coach for a while, he probably need a bit of rest before finding another job. But whoever hires him, be careful what you wish for....
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#24 » by lucky777s » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:33 pm

Laowai wrote:He will likely get the Nets job.

I like Skiles as a coach but I think he may be too similar to Avery to get that job. Hard driving defensive coach, very intense and in your face. Little guy, former PG.

I like SVG for the Nets. The MIA team he coached pre-Shaq played a nice style that might fit nets. And with a nice offensive C in BroPez his ORL system might work too. He seems flexible to his talent.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#25 » by Coach Smiley » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:59 pm

bigbadstevenson wrote:I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned him as a replacement for José yet.

:lol:
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Pchu » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:39 pm

lucky777s wrote:
Laowai wrote:He will likely get the Nets job.

I like Skiles as a coach but I think he may be too similar to Avery to get that job. Hard driving defensive coach, very intense and in your face. Little guy, former PG.

I like SVG for the Nets. The MIA team he coached pre-Shaq played a nice style that might fit nets. And with a nice offensive C in BroPez his ORL system might work too. He seems flexible to his talent.

SVG wants no part of the ownership group and has said it in public. The Nets is hoping for Phil Jackson, if not it will be PJ until the season ends.
RealSuperfan
Senior
And1: 12

Post#27 » by RealSuperfan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:43 pm

The long awaited day that patient Ilyasova fantasy owners have been waiting for. Like others have said, he struggled in the starting lineup in the beginning of the season but I don't think Ersan ever had that sense of comfort playing under Skiles. He is a bit mentally weak so hopefully he can play ball without second guessing himself and just play with the natural hustle he had last year. Skiles just puzzled me with his rotations.
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Pchu » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:57 pm

RealSuperfan wrote:The long awaited day that patient Ilyasova fantasy owners have been waiting for. Like others have said, he struggled in the starting lineup in the beginning of the season but I don't think Ersan ever had that sense of comfort playing under Skiles. He is a bit mentally weak so hopefully he can play ball without second guessing himself and just play with the natural hustle he had last year. Skiles just puzzled me with his rotations.

It's not really a puzzle. Skiles will always start guys who play defense rather than guys who are questionable in that aspect. Ellis is starting because there is no alternative. I remember him starting Trenton Hassell back in Chicago, even though Hassell could barely score.
RealSuperfan
Senior
And1: 12

Post#29 » by RealSuperfan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:18 pm

Pchu wrote:
RealSuperfan wrote:The long awaited day that patient Ilyasova fantasy owners have been waiting for. Like others have said, he struggled in the starting lineup in the beginning of the season but I don't think Ersan ever had that sense of comfort playing under Skiles. He is a bit mentally weak so hopefully he can play ball without second guessing himself and just play with the natural hustle he had last year. Skiles just puzzled me with his rotations.

It's not really a puzzle. Skiles will always start guys who play defense rather than guys who are questionable in that aspect. Ellis is starting because there is no alternative. I remember him starting Trenton Hassell back in Chicago, even though Hassell could barely score.

And that's why he was starting Tobias Harris at the beginning of the season whom Bucks' fans have specifically criticized for weak defense..by the way, now he's nowhere to be seen. Ersan just got signed for something like 5/40 million and he was quickly relegated to the bench. He definitely had a slow start but I doubt Hammond was thrilled about his key off season signing having such a fluctuation in minutes. Ellis is starting but he's had a pretty bad season. Lamb barely got minutes and he's shown flashes when he has just like Henson who's stuck in a similar situation. He finally stopped starting Dalembert and Gooden hasn't played much this year which is a plus. It's quite obvious him and Hammond didn't see to eye to eye. He cleaned his office out at the end of last season for God's sake, Skiles preaching was falling on deaf ears and the players tuned him out. He wore out his welcome and the Bucks and Skiles should have parted ways some time ago. There were times this year Skiles would address an offensive drought with more defensive players. There no offensive philosophy. It's painful watching Jennings and Ellis take turns chucking shots. It's no secret that Skiles' rotations were some of the most frustrating in the NBA. Milwaukee's still a mess and there needs to be a shuffle in the roster, no doubt.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#30 » by lucky777s » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:39 pm

Bucks are overloaded at the big spots. And bigs who either need or deserve playing time. That's a tough rotation to manage.

Ilyasova - excellent PF, can play a little SF
Udoh - young, developing guy
Dalembert - still an in-demand C, decent contract
Gooden - always productive, only 2 more years under 7 per.
Henson - rookie
Sanders - breakout year
Pryz - bench depth

plus MbahMoute also plays some 4. That makes 7 or 8 guys on a 15 man roster.

They have some tradeable assets in there though.

Need wing players badly. Dunleavy expiring leaves them with nothing there. They have to make a trade.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#31 » by The Watcher » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:39 pm

dagger wrote:Seems to have been a mutual parting. Bucks had not given him a new contract, he told them he would not return after this season, they asked him to think it over, word got out and both sides agreed it was better to part now.

This team definitely wasn't playing his style. Too guard driven.

Yep. I think as soon as word got out that he wouldnt be back, the gig was up for both coach and org.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#32 » by BetterCallSaul » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:11 pm

Cool-Hand-Luke wrote:Bucks were a fantasy roster wasteland. Time to activate Drew Gooden!!

Except for Larry Sanders ;)

Return to Toronto Raptors