BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,839

Re: BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways 

Post#321 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:58 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Greg Anthony is on WSSP right now. He has now said twice that Skiles really disliked the roster and disagreed with many personnel moves.

Oh, you mean there is another side to this? I figured it was Scotty's fault on everything.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#322 » by midranger » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:59 pm

James1980 wrote:Is Aldridge's Tweet that Skiles wouldn't sign an extension accurate? He wouldn't sign extension so Bucks fired him?

Don't think about it too much.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#323 » by th87 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:12 pm

Stay tuned for more of the same, compliments of our owner.
Seralin
Sixth Man
And1: 274

Post#324 » by Seralin » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:14 pm

MasterChef wrote:Skiles is such a weird ****...love it. Would love to see him coaching the Lakers under their current predicament. It'd be quite the show

I am guessing Lakers have already contacted him as a defensive coach for their team.
E-Buck
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#325 » by E-Buck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:27 pm

Can the Bucks just hire me as head coach? I'll set up a rotation of:

Jennings
Lamb
Harris/Moute
Henson
Sanders/Udoh

Trade all of Udrih, Ellis, Dunleavy, Ilyasova, Gooden, and Dalembert for picks. Stockpile on picks like no other. That's literally the only thing we can do at this point. We're such a mess, that we don't know where to start because of the mentality of our GM and owner.
Packers-Suns-Coyotes-Diamondbacks-Real Madrid
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#326 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:37 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/186084471.html

Former Bucks coach Scott Skiles is out the door and he's not firing back.

But he does want to set the record straight on a few issues.

How about that one circulating on social media Monday that he "hated his team."

"That's an absolute lie," Skiles said. "If (the writer) has that information, it was given to him by somebody to demean me."

Skiles and the Bucks agreed to part ways Monday and Jim Boylan was named coach for the remainder of the season. Boylan's debut as Bucks coach will come Tuesday night at home against the Phoenix Suns.

So what did Skiles think of his team? The Bucks went 16-16 under his leadership this season and were tied for the seventh playoff position in the Eastern Conference, although they had lost four straight.

"There's always the normal coach-player friction that goes on," Skiles said in an interview Tuesday afternoon. "Guys at this level are great players. This is, as NBA teams go, this is a good group of guys."

As for some of the commentary following his departure, Skiles said, "I leave it to other people to burn people in this league. There are a lot of shady people in this league."

Skiles made numerous lineup changes in the early part of the season in an effort to find the right mix. Veteran Samuel Dalembert started at center at the outset before going to the bench, and veteran Drew Gooden was not part of the regular rotation.

Third-year player Larry Sanders emerged as the Bucks starting center, and Tobias Harris, Ekpe Udoh and Marquis Daniels had runs in the starting lineup. Ersan Ilyasova started at power forward but struggled and eventually moved to a backup role. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute was injured at the start of the season but moved into the starting lineup when he returned.

The constants in the Milwaukee lineup were guards Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis, both of whom have started all 32 games.

Skiles said he was engaged with the team and gave his full effort. He was working in the final year of his contract after not having the deal extended after last season.

Did he want to be here?

"That's a question it's not easy to answer," Skiles said. "Absolutely (he was committed). That's the absolute bare minimum I owe the franchise."

Skiles confirmed he was not offered an extension at any point since the season started. He finished four-plus seasons with the Bucks with a 162-182 record (.471 winning percentage), including a 46-36 record in his second season when the team reached the playoffs. The Bucks had losing marks in his other three seasons.

"Ultimately if you're some place three, four, five years, unless you enter into a full rebuilding mode, you will be judged on wins and losses," Skiles said. "It wasn't good enough."

This is the second time Boylan has succeeded him as head coach. It also happened in Chicago during the 2007-'08 season and Boylan directed the Bulls to a 24-32 mark.

"Jim deserves a fair chance here," Skiles said. "All the guys on the staff are good basketball guys. I'm sure he will do very well."

Skiles said he was not pondering his future or whether he would coach again in the NBA. He is 443-433 in 12-plus seasons as head coach of the Suns, the Bulls and the Bucks.

"Today as you can probably imagine, my phone is blowing up," Skiles said. "All last night and all day today. But it will die down. I'm going to go home (to Indiana) and enjoy some down time."
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#327 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:40 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Did he want to be here?

"That's a question it's not easy to answer," Skiles said. "Absolutely (he was committed). That's the absolute bare minimum I owe the franchise."

Try to hold back your enthusiasm Scott.
Nothing will not break me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#328 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:43 pm

If you're looking for the definitive national media piece on this team, Zach Lowe at Grantland nails it.
keithmad42
Senior
And1: 157

Post#329 » by keithmad42 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:55 pm

Bulls fan here but I think Skiles was a good coach. I think he hated the Ellis deal and wanted to leave before the season but was talked into staying by the Hammond. He should have followed his instincts and left.

I see a lot of complaining about the front court starters and rotations. It is not like he messed up a championship contender by trying different combinations. Even though the Bucks are rivals with the Bulls, I feel bad for your team. Ellis to me is a 6th man on a top 5 team.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,839

Post#330 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:57 pm

DrugBust wrote:If you're looking for the definitive national media piece on this team, Zach Lowe at Grantland nails it.

But he said Tobias was a bad shooter!

But yeah, that describes the scene well. Ten years from now, I believe that people will look back and consider Scott Skiles to have been the most qualfied/successful employee with the Bucks, including the owner, GM and all the players from the period 2008-2013.

That isn't saying Skiles was great. Just that we have mediocrity up and down the line everywhere else and have had it here for years. Skiles will fit in fine coaching up a cellar dweller to a 45-win team somewhere.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#331 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:58 pm

DrugBust wrote:If you're looking for the definitive national media piece on this team, Zach Lowe at Grantland nails it.

Spot on.
Go Bucks!
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#332 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:13 pm

keithmad42 wrote:I think he hated the Ellis deal

He allowed it to happen. It also got rid of Bogut. Skiles can put blame on himself for the roster that he helped build.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#333 » by SugarRay34 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:19 pm

I dont care how the rest of the season turns out. Best case scenario, this gives us a spark getting rid of the dictator Skiles and guys just play and we end up with the 6th seed playing Atlanta. Worst case we barely miss the playoffs and get the 15th pick in the 1st round.

All I am expecting from Boylan is a more consistent rotation that involves more Henson, more Tobias, no Daniels. Not too much to ask
europa
RealGM

Post#334 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:32 pm

Lowe sure seems quite enamored with the coaching wizardry of a guy whose offenses have generally stunk everywhere he's been.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,376

Post#335 » by randy84 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:37 pm

Have any of the insiders heard that it was Skiles that quit?

The rumor is that Skiles came to Hammond yesterday and said he wanted out and that it took all day for Kohl to OK it.

Anyone else hear this?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#336 » by Ayt » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:38 pm

europa wrote:
N8Frog wrote:
europa wrote:First Boylan change - Ilyasova will start at PF tonight.

Ersan doesn't seem mentally tough, so the coaching change may be good for him.

Agreed. Ilyasova's a bit of a delicate flower. I'm guessing he's not bummed to see Skiles gone.

Or he realizes that spacing is kind of important.
europa
RealGM

Post#337 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:40 pm

Ayt wrote:
europa wrote:Agreed. Ilyasova's a bit of a delicate flower. I'm guessing he's not bummed to see Skiles gone.

Or he realizes that spacing is kind of important.

By "he" are you referring to Ilyasova or Boylan?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#338 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:58 pm

I wonder how long Bogut was laughing when he heard about this news today.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#339 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:08 am

europa wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Did he want to be here?

Try to hold back your enthusiasm Scott.

New slogans: Where the absolute bare minimum happens.

Be the absolute bare minimum.

Your ticket to the absolute bare minimum.
Do it for Chuck
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#340 » by paul » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:14 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Sidenote - Where's paul been?

Retired about a month ago, got sick of being dismissed as a bitter GS fan every time someone disagreed with my opinion. Just called in when I heard the Skiles news.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks