ImageImageImageImageImage

OKC Exposed Demar Derozan game + thoughts on Raps

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Re: OKC Exposed Demar Derozan game + thoughts on Raps 

Post#61 » by Death Knight » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:13 pm

I'll give you an example that will make it easier for you to understand. Lets say a 1pm game is an early game. Players are not used to it. 1pm = early game = fact = logic. We know that. And if you bring it up for whatever reason, it becomes an excuse. Hell, let me give another example I've heard. Incoming teams (road teams) coming in to play these early games usually party the night before, and thus it gives the home team an advantage. If the road team loses and they bring up partying, then it becomes an excuse. You don't bring things up if you don't intent on using it as an excuse, especially when it's something that we already know without you having to remind us of it.

Highest scoring year also = highest fg attempted year. Funny how that works. You take more shots, you have a good chance of scoring more. Wow! Amazing eh?

No DG88, OKC did not focus on Demar. This garbage team doesn't even have 1 single player worthy of that. There's very little separation between players on this roster. But if you want to believe that, then lets play this game. If DeMar was focused on, then he shouldn't have forced up 16 bad shots. If they focused on Demar, that must have meant teammates were open. Pass the damn ball. But that might be asking for too much, because Demar's passing vision is still below average.

Once again, I'm not a player fan. I'm a fan of the team. I don't care for hating or loving any 1 single player. I don't get too attached to any 1 player. Just tell it like it is.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#62 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:22 pm

DG88 wrote:I laugh at the people here who say that DeRozan was not the focus of OKC's defense. Hello guess who's our leading scorer on our team because it's not Lowry or Bargnani but DeRozan. It's something called scouting your opposition and using it to slow down you opponent. Yes DD has his limitation but he's played well enough for defenses to go after him. At this point in time is the adjustment period for DeMar and we know he's been watching tape on how defenses are denying him of his sweet spots. It's another learning experience for him and you know damn well he's gonna work his butt off to make counters for when defenses come at him in a certain way.

Laugh at me as much as you want, OKC did not lock him down. The Spurs game where Leonard was denying DeRozan getting his touches was game planned. OKC definitely played more physical, and hedge at the screen to reduce his catch and shoot opportunities, but if DeRozan wants the ball, OKC allows him to take it on the perimeter, unlike the Spurs game.
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#63 » by RaptorReloaded » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:26 pm

Death Knight wrote:I'll give you an example that will make it easier for you to understand. Lets say a 1pm game is an early game. Players are not used to it. 1pm = early game = fact = logic. We know that. And if you bring it up for whatever reason, it becomes an excuse. Hell, let me give another example I've heard. Incoming teams (road teams) coming in to play these early games usually party the night before, and thus it gives the home team an advantage. If the road team loses and they bring up partying, then it becomes an excuse. You don't bring things up if you don't intent on using it as an excuse, especially when it's something that we already know without you having to remind us of it.

Highest scoring year also = highest fg attempted year. Funny how that works. You take more shots, you have a good chance of scoring more. Wow! Amazing eh?

No DG88, OKC did not focus on Demar. This garbage team doesn't even have 1 single player worthy of that. There's very little separation between players on this roster. But if you want to believe that, then lets play this game. If DeMar was focused on, then he shouldn't have forced up 16 bad shots. If they focused on Demar, that must have meant teammates were open. Pass the damn ball. But that might be asking for too much, because Demar's passing vision is still below average.

Once again, I'm not a player fan. I'm a fan of the team. I don't care for hating or loving any 1 single player. I don't get too attached to any 1 player. Just tell it like it is.

I agree with what you're saying but OKC did focus on Demar. It was evident from the tip and Jack was pointing it out 2 minutes into the game. Having said that it's up to DD to adjust and not take 4 or 5 bad shots which he did. He's 23. He'll learn.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,516

Post#64 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:28 pm

Demar is just flat out medicore

Forget the PPG and ask yourself what this guy does well compared to the average SG

Shooting... below average most SGs have better range than him
Slashing... He's a decent athlete, but weak first step and lack of ballhandling prevents him from slicing teams up.
Creating his own jumpshot... not really
Moving off the ball... meh
Passing... no
Defense... no

Why should we believe he's an above average SG when he doesn't do anything better than them? His role is to be a slasher but his lack of elite speed or ballhandling does not make him dynamic in the area. His main weapon is a midrange shot, a skill pretty much every single perimeter player in the league has and which most smart teams are realizing is a shot you want to avoid efficiency wise
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 543

Post#65 » by fatal9 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:48 pm

I think at this point fans kind of cling on to an image of "more athletic Rip Hamilton"...which just disrespects Rip's ability to play basketball. Rip was a very good/smart passer, way better at moving off the ball (Ray Allen like...but inside the 3 pt line), more efficient/consistent shooter from midrange, had more range if he wanted to utilize that part of his game, but just on a different level bball IQ wise on offense. By his second season, he already put together a more productive season than DeMar is having in his fourth year and was averaging the same amount of ppg in 6 less minutes. Rip didn't start making DeMar type of money until his 9th season after being on a championship squad and making a couple of all-star teams. That should help put in perspective how bad and unwarranted DD's contract really is.

If you look at DeMar's ppg/apg/3PM numbers in context of the type of minutes he is playing, he gets exposed as being a historically limited player. That's without even needing to break down his game/skills for how hollow and useless they really are. When you have the type of work ethic that he reportedly has and you are still so mediocre after so many minutes/games played, it's time to accept that he simply doesn't have the talent instead of making excuses.

Return to Toronto Raptors