ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: KG insults Melo's wife - Melo goes to C's locker room

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

tracey_nice
Analyst
And1: 274

Re: OT: KG insults Melo's wife - Melo goes to C's locker roo 

Post#181 » by tracey_nice » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:31 pm

kg is stupid anyways. you want to really help your team?

A GUY YOU'D LOVE TO HAVE ON YOUR TEAM BUT H8 TO PLAY AGAINST.

TRU COMPETITOR.

* SEE ME IN THE PARKING LOT**
tracey_nice
Analyst
And1: 274

Post#182 » by tracey_nice » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:33 pm

and if the difference is btwn 'physical'/'emotional' re: what kg does vs what bowen does, u guys need to realize it is that attitude that has stigmatized mental health in this country. #anxietytrooper
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#183 » by ash_k » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:33 pm

There you go, it is settled now..both "crossed the line" (cough)
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#184 » by Danchan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:35 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
Sohogrand wrote:
SDM wrote:There are no lines in trash talk, there is no definitive "this is too much" moment. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

amen. it seems that a lot of grown men want to fight on the sensitivity battleground.. pro sports is not the place for thin skin, or mentally weak ppl

Why not? It happens in hockey. Football to a degree. KG is free to say whatever he wants. Melo can punch him in the face and deal with the repercussions. What's cool or no big deal to some people is the opposite to others. When people say punk ass comments a punch in the face is a distinct possibility. On the courts or on the streets.

yea but he didn't. Fake tough guy. either ignore it or retaliate on the spot, or wait till he's alone. Dont do that "hold me back guys I am going to their team bus BS" then cry to the media about how the other guy crossed the line.
Drama queen.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Post#185 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:35 pm

tracey_nice wrote:and if the difference is btwn 'physical'/'emotional' re: what kg does vs what bowen does, u guys need to realize it is that attitude that has stigmatized mental health in this country. #anxietytrooper

On the words: what?

On the concept: what?

I don't think stigmatized is the word you were looking for.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Re: OT: Melo Went to C's Locker room to fight KG 

Post#186 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:49 pm

J Dilla wrote:You might hate KG for doing what he does, but getting into players heads works really well.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,891

Post#187 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:58 pm

Abba Zabba wrote:Hard Foul.

In every sport there's the rules and there's the "way the game is played": an understanding of what is allowable and not amongst the players. The same applies in every culture and society, there's law and there is honour/ethos. So to SDM telling me that nothing is off limits I don't know how he can expect me to believe he knows the code that exists amongst NBA players that it consists of no code at all. That would be a major break from all human behaviour everywhere on the planet for the last 5 thousand years. A genuinely extraordinary circumstance.

Garnett reminds me of Sean Avery in that he is a pest who steps over the line of acceptable behaviour amongst players but an effective one. The difference is the NHL has changed rules to protect the ethos of the game from Avery when he has gone to far while the NBA has coddled Garnett while extolling his "passion".

I've never understood why you don't see more settling the score type hard fouls in the NBA. The other day Sefalosha threw Jose to the ground and later we let him go straight to the basket instead of using the opportunity to drive the point home.

I believe the NBA, more than any other professional sport keeps a tight lid on this stuff as it fears the bad image of aggressive black youths being streamed into middle america's living room. Not quite racist but a behaviour based on the expected racism of your market. So the policing yourself aspect gets taken out of the game while it is understood as inherent to baseball, hockey, and to a lesser degree football. What do you get? The eye sore that is Garnett's behaviour which the NBA tacitly condones like the over indulgent parents of a spoiled child while coming down hard on any attempt by players to enforce a standard of behaviour amongst themselves.

Yeah and Avery was suspended and sent to some sort of counselling (he was in a league all on his own - remember the waving stick in front of goalie's face routine? dummy took it to another level by mocking and bullying teammates); eventually his game couldn't compensate for the mental meltdowns and no one wanted to sign him.

To your bolded point, I think the NBA tried hard to revamp its image because that was the misperception of players back in the tape delay days. In a sport in which athletes are more visible compared to say hockey or football the challenges of overcoming those racist perceptions were more difficult. I do agree that the NBA seems like it has looser boundaries for its money making darlings (Griffin with flopping, breathing on MJ or LeBron) and Garnett's behaviour (not just with Melo, but throughout his career) who have been given a pass.

It's true what HP says about words < actions, but in the heat of the moment, it's very hard not to lose it like Melo did. KG banks on it, knowing that if he takes it just a bit further, he'll get the reaction he wants. It's petulant, and it's unfortunate that he has to increasingly resort to it in the twilight of his career as his physical skills diminish. It may be effective here and there, but it kinds of looks pathetic. It will be all the more so if players tune him out.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#188 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:59 pm

I would be more disappointed in Melo if he did nothing.

Besides, KG's needed a good slap on the cheek for a while now.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran
And1: 383

Post#189 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:00 am

So KG smashed Lala back in the day? I don't blame Melo for getting pissed. KG is one of the best at getting under people's skin. Does anyone remember him calling Charlie V a cancer patient?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#190 » by LLJ » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:01 am

Mmmm...honey nut cheerios...
bballsparkin
General Manager
And1: 7,421

Post#191 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:05 am

Danchan wrote:
yea but he didn't. Fake tough guy. either ignore it or retaliate on the spot, or wait till he's alone. Dont do that "hold me back guys I am going to their team bus BS" then cry to the media about how the other guy crossed the line.
Drama queen.

That's true. It would have been nice to have seen a hard foul delivered by Melo.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#192 » by deck » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:06 am

I can't take KG seriously after the whole "Anything is Possible!!!" thing

The guy is a caricature of himself.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#193 » by kmatrixg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:07 am

Wouldn't that be a complement? Calling his wife a carmel/honey treat? And saying Happy Mother's Day to TD, isn't that paying respect?

Point is, you can construe everything KG says (outside the supposed 'cancer patient' remark), that's the beauty of his trash talk - it walks the line between being a smart ass and being cruel.
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran

Post#194 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:11 am

deck wrote:I can't take KG seriously after the whole "Anything is Possible!!!" thing

This sounds unfamiliar, care to explain?
LLJ
RealGM

Post#195 » by LLJ » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:13 am

Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:
deck wrote:I can't take KG seriously after the whole "Anything is Possible!!!" thing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk[/youtube]
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran

Post#196 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:15 am

kmatrixg wrote:Wouldn't that be a complement? Calling his wife a carmel/honey treat? And saying Happy Mother's Day to TD, isn't that paying respect?

Point is, you can construe everything KG says (outside the supposed 'cancer patient' remark), that's the beauty of his trash talk - it walks the line between being a smart ass and being cruel.

I think the Happy Mother's Day comment was more so calling TD a woman/mother than dissing TD's mom who died of breast cancer a day before his 14th BDay.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#197 » by kmatrixg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:17 am

Said Anthony: "Nothing happened for me to be suspended," adding, "I just wanted to know what was being said, where was all that coming from. Whatever was being said on the basketball court, where was it coming from?"

Translation:

"I just wanted to know - you ****in' my wife?!"
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran

Post#198 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:18 am

LLJ wrote:
Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk[/youtube]

LOL the guy just won the Championship. He was just overwhelmed, anything could have come out of that guy's mouth at that moment. People forget this is the same KG who couldn't win on his own in Minnesota in the playoffs except for that 1 season when Cassell and Sprewell helped him.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#199 » by LLJ » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:20 am

Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:
LOL the guy just won the Championship. He was just overwhelmed, anything could have come out of that guy's mouth at that moment. People forget this is the same KG who couldn't win on his own in Minnesota in the playoffs except for that 1 season when Cassell and Sprewell helped him.

Well, I agree. Nothing wrong with it.

If KG did call CV a "cancer patient", then he was out of line there. But he wouldn't have known TD's mother was dead, and this Honey Nut Cheerios thing is just too funny to be offended by it. :lol:
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#200 » by fredericklove » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:12 am

Calling Lala a honey nut cheerio? Wow...I wonder what Lamar would do if KG calls Khloe a white chocolate cookies and cream?

Return to Toronto Raptors