ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Re: MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 

Post#621 » by Truthrising » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:08 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Beardman wrote:Yes hoarding prospects/assets and collecting picks is the right way to go about rebuilding but the problem is that there is no immediate gratification with that and the casual fan doesn't see the redeeming factor to having a pick(s) until it turns into something(someone) noteworthy.

MLSE will only do whats profitable and what they can sell to the casual fan, we can wish for something different but we're 17 years in the hole now. What Double Helix stated is what we should come to expect. Who knows maybe a Sam Presti like GM will come along one day and change the culture ...until then sign me up for Rudy Gay.

So, the problem is the causal fans.

And our response is to...make the same decisions they would make.

Maybe it's not just them. MAybe enough serious fans keep doing this cycle of rationale to keep that boat floating.
you need to consider what's MLSE's bottom line, they need to answer to the shareholders to make sure that the company shows profit.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#622 » by Beardman » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:08 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Beardman wrote:Yes hoarding prospects/assets and collecting picks is the right way to go about rebuilding but the problem is that there is no immediate gratification with that and the casual fan doesn't see the redeeming factor to having a pick(s) until it turns into something(someone) noteworthy.

MLSE will only do whats profitable and what they can sell to the casual fan, we can wish for something different but we're 17 years in the hole now. What Double Helix stated is what we should come to expect. Who knows maybe a Sam Presti like GM will come along one day and change the culture ...until then sign me up for Rudy Gay.

So, the problem is the causal fans.

And our response is to...make the same decisions they would make.

Maybe it's not just them. MAybe enough serious fans keep doing this cycle of rationale to keep that boat floating.
*Takes off logical/hardcore fan goggles*

From a pure basketball fan perspective, sitting around watching this club attempt rebuilds is dreadful. I would rather a short term fix that lands us in the playoff hunt. So I can actually have something to root for. Then worry about the fall off later.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#623 » by MikeM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:09 pm

We have 5 lottery picks on the team right now. They all suck except JV who won't exactly be a superstar.

I'd rather be entertained for the next 2 years and then when it inevitably fails we can blow it up and be reduced to absolutely nothing instead of this mishmash of players we have right now who try so god damn hard all the time.

It's hard to get worse than we are right now because no one will take these mediocre as **** players we have because of their talent/salary relationship.

It's easier to trade these mediocre as **** players for Gay or some other good player who makes too much dough. Fail but be entertained. And then trade Gay for 2 firsts and be reduced to absolute zero. IMO of course.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#624 » by God Squad » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:10 pm

Wham! wrote:Here's how I see it:

I'd be down for Jose+DD for Gay.

Based on what we're hearing MEM wants, I'm guessing they'd prefer Jose+Ross. Not quite so hot on that one, but it could be interesting with DD and Gay.

For those who want a rebuild..well I'm not gonna argue with you either. I wouldn't worry though, even though BC probably tries to get this done to save his hide, he'll end up failing on plan A like he always does, probably get fired for missing the playoffs/doing nothing/doing something really stupid, and we'll end up with a rebuild anyway under a new GM.

Yeah I'm not disillusioned lol.

Sign me up. Please and thank you
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#625 » by dballislife » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:10 pm

should a rebuilding team be taking on a contract like gay? and hes only playing a little better than demar right now
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#626 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:13 pm

Beardman wrote:*Takes off logical/hardcore fan goggles*

From a pure basketball fan perspective, sitting around watching this club attempt rebuilds is dreadful.

But that's not what we've been doing.

I would rather a short term fix that lands us in the playoff hunt. So I can actually have something to root for. Then worry about the fall off later.

That's what we have been doing.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#627 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:15 pm

It's possible to build a good team without tanking. Houston might be a contender in the next few years and they didn't tank at all

The problem is we have one of the 3-5 worst GMs in the league and when that's true it just doesn't matter what direction a team takes. In a 30 team league, the 3-5 who make decisions the worst are probably going to lose indefinitely. If you're a class of 30 graded based on a bell curve, finishing in the bottom 3-5 means you're screwed.

Forget ownership, just blame BC. BC's problem isn't that he's following an "Indiana/Houston" model, it's that he's terrible at following that model. He's behind the curve instead of ahead of it in regards to recognizing which players are good or not, wastes assets, has terrible timing making trades, etc.
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#628 » by JunkYardSubs » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:18 pm

What if we help GS get Rudy, and take on some bad contracts to get Barnes?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9wc2ojh
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#629 » by Beardman » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:18 pm

@HP
Whatever we were doing during the Ford-Bosh era is what I would prefer over whatever we're doing now. The reason why it's not working now is because we don't have talent close to Bosh's level. Acquiring Gay would be a start because then we would have Lowry + Gay to work with.

Anyways i'm pretty sure that PHX has a way better chance of landing Gay than we do, so worry not. This whole argument discussion w/e is all in vein.
Valanciunuts
Sixth Man
And1: 929

Post#630 » by Valanciunuts » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:28 pm

F*ck the Suns. F*ck this organization. F*ck BC. F*CK.
YoungG
Head Coach
And1: 4,505

Post#631 » by YoungG » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:34 pm

Raptors NEED to get in on this. Having Gay as a serviceable wing is going to help this player. This system fits him.

Landry fields, Jose and Aaron Gray for Rudy and Tony Wroten!
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#632 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:36 pm

If you're willing to accept being the joke of the league for just a couple years you can make a OKC type turn around happen quite fast. This isn't really a problem as we're already one of the few running jokes.

Trade everything away for lotto picks. Would be important to keep one guy you can sell to the average fan as a future type player.

This will also ensure your own pick is a top pick for the next few years.

Dabble with scrubs getting major minutes on cheap contracts. Find someone who could surprise your very own Jeremy Lin if you will and ship there asses out for you guessed it more high end picks.

Year 1 and two if there isn't that franchise player in the draft available you guessed it trade the now picks for picks in later years if a move is available.

Year two or 3 you're a team with a lot of assets in the draft one draft out of those 4 years must have yielded a franchise type player maybe two, a ton of cap space, and some surprise glue type players that were given a chance they'd never have gotten anywhere else.

Championship
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#633 » by JunkYardSubs » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:36 pm

BigVGroupie wrote:F*ck the Suns. F*ck this organization. F*ck BC. F*CK.

What the hell? This is the last thing Id be upset about with this squad
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,951

Post#634 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:43 pm

Sounds like the Grizz are looking to break it down. I saw a rumour where they're shopping Randolph, too. I think Rudy for two more years isn't such a bad idea, even if he's making a mint. I doubt he gets close to the max again, and he'll be young enough that he could be locked into a palatable enough deal. For Phoenix I think it's a no brainer, provided they aren't giving up this year's lotto pick.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#635 » by TheGoodDoctor » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:48 pm

I fully expect a team like the Suns to get Rudy Gay and then this board whines after the fact how we missed out but didn't want to give our great "assets" from our 12-21 roster just like Harden.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#636 » by TheGoodDoctor » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:51 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Sounds like the Grizz are looking to break it down. I saw a rumour where they're shopping Randolph, too. I think Rudy for two more years isn't such a bad idea, even if he's making a mint. I doubt he gets close to the max again, and he'll be young enough that he could be locked into a palatable enough deal. For Phoenix I think it's a no brainer, provided they aren't giving up this year's lotto pick.

Jose + Bargnani for Randolph and DeMar + Fields for Rudy Gay

Lowry
Ross
Gay
Randolph
Valanciunas

Dinosaur championship time!!!
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#637 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:51 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:I fully expect a team like the Suns to get Rudy Gay and then this board whines after the fact how we missed out but didn't want to give our great "assets" from our 12-21 roster just like Harden.

Not only this but how come we didn't do it without trading our untouchables which include everyone with any value at all on the entire roster.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#638 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:53 pm

i hope we get Rudy Gay, it would be a huge opportunity missed. Hes having a down year, but last year and even in the off-season many wanted to deal #8 for Gay.

Ross
Calderon
Kleiza
Anderson

any combination in any 3 way trade or straight up with Memphis is fine with me. I want a team consisting of

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Davis/Bargnani
Val
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#639 » by Double Helix » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:06 am

The NBA is designed to reward different levels of "success" both in the way of individual player and coaching awards and through the playoff setup. The league would have contracted at least 10 teams if the playoffs had been closer to MLB's much more exclusive playoff setup. Instead, the league allows more than half of the watered down 30 team league into its playoffs. Every realist knows that in any given NBA season there are approximately 5 contenders capable of actually winning 4 rounds of best out of 7 basketball but everyone goes along with it anyway. The teams that miss out get the draft. The teams that make it in make millions more in revenues that year, increase their chances of signing a star who may be up for free agency, and expand their reach through increased media exposure. That's the incentive to try and why teams do. When the season ends there's awards handed out to further keep fans interested and excited about the future regardless of where their city is on the ladder.

The goal for the hard core fan is the title at all costs no matter how much tanking is necessary. For everyone else it's fun in the moment game-by-game with annual improvements and the hope of the playoffs. When I was young I always felt the team had a chance. It wasn't until I became older and looked at the numbers and realized the dynasties and the scarcity of talent capable of leading a team to a title that I realized what the league is REALLY about.

And yet my awareness of these truths -- that we are all but assured of never winning a Championship unless we have an MVP candidate on our team, an unbelievable Robin, and a solid third banana -- doesn't change the fact that I feel it is time to to really try to make the playoffs again this year or the next. The reasons for this are surprisingly simple but I'd like to share them anyway because this board is so loaded with people who are of the "win it all or tank till you do" mentality. So here goes my top reasons to hope the Raptors land Rudy Gay and compete for the playoffs. Life is not infinite. Do you want to die during a depressing tank year? Bad basketball is awful to watch. Are you going to skip them all until they're ready to win the whole thing? Variety is the spice of life. 5 years of draft boards and lotto odds talk is enough in a row. Are we fans of the sport or simply the concept of winning a title? And last but not least... it's possible for me to enjoy basketball being played in front of me on a game by game basis for what it is and enjoy the battles while ignoring the war. So, give me my small victory of a playoff birth again and let me naively hope for the best like I used to as a child. Tomorrow is not guaranteed and the world is a depressing enough place when distractions and entertainment are pulled away as it is. So, entertain me again, Raptors. Let me turn off the cynic and return to the hope and naivete I used to feel as a kid watching this team. Let me hear a playoff halftime show on TNT with the Raptors involved again. Let me suspend disbelief again for a moment or two and enjoy victories again for what they are rather than the lotto odds they're ruining. I want to see the home team achieve the next level of success. The system they created to hook me as a young kid still works on me years later. The cynic hasn't entirely won out. So, give me playoff basketball again and then I'll return gladly to tank nation as I have in years past.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#640 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:15 am

DH:

Hypothetical.

The Raptors play exactly the same way they are playing now.

Only the league changes the rules so that instead of almost 60% of teams making the playoffs, almost 90% do.

Is your experience watching the exact same games played by the exact same players different? Is the bad basketball better?

If it is, isn't the solution to be found within our own perspectives? Just decide that today we want 100 points/pizza. Tomorrow we want a lot of 3s. W/e. it's not about having a chance to win it all, so let's set our own goals. As you say, the league sets their lines based on marketing...why do we buy in if the reality isn't different? We're seeing the top w/e % of basketball players in the world playing the game...if we abandon the need to build a real winner, why not find contentment wherever we look?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to Toronto Raptors