Best Rudy Destination IMHO: Gay to DET

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Best Rudy Destination IMHO: Gay to DET 

Post#1 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:37 pm

Just thinking about team needs and such I think the best deal for the Grizzlies would be to trade Gay for Rodney Stuckey and Tayshaun Prince. It is clear that Detroit needs a younger team and having Rudy there with Drummond and Knight gives them a young core going forward. Also if they are trading non-expiring contracts in this deal, they retain cap flexibility as their "prospect" players will be combining for a reasonable salary. They can still add pieces and if they get a shooting guard in the draft, they are 1 move away from a dynasty.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Re: Best Rudy Destination IMHO: Gay to DET 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:44 pm

Not a bad trade from either side. Pretty decent in fact. Only problem I have is you called that a dynasty. You can't have a dynasty when one of your glorified role players makes $17-19M a season. No doubt Drummond/Monroe/Gay/Knight/rookie can probably make the 2014 playoffs, but I really have to question whether it can go much more than that. Just seems like a perfect replica of the last 5-6 year's Atlanta Hawks to me.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
flipwise
Junior
And1: 7

Post#3 » by flipwise » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes from me, this is much better than the Suns trade and is the most logical solution I've seen so far.

Detroit will shed a lot of contracts this offseason and they'd lose two more who are long-term by doing this. I don't see the issue with paying Gay. From their young players, only Monroe will have to get paid in Gay's last season. If they amnesty Villanueva, their committed salary for next season, even with Gay, would be around 36 million. That leaves 20 million for free agency, if you subtract the contract of the rookie they'll pick! They can get Mayo or Tyreke, for instance, and still have enough money to get a decent bench. You also have to realize Rudy would attract free agents more than Stuckey and Prince would.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#4 » by vege » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:11 pm

Makes no sense for Memphis, they don't get under the LT and I don't see why they would want to pay Stuckey 17 million when they have Bayless for a fraction of it.

This would make more sense.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bjvhlks
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:20 pm

Detroit and Cleveland make the most sense for me.

Cleveland can create a package of Gee, Zeller, Walton, picks
Detroit can create a package similar to the one Vege referenced via trade checker.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#6 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:48 pm

RE: CHA_77:
I call it a dynasty because if they draft top 5 or so you have a shot at Shabazz. Also, it is possible to trade the pick on draft day for a slightly more proven 2 guard. With the cap space it is possible to sign someone good about 14 million dollars once u factor is raises and such. JR Smith, OJ Mayo will both be 2 guards, and the pf position is also rich with talent in the FA class with Millsap and Jefferson plus Josh Smith.

The combination of Monroe, Villanueva, Jerebko with this seasons pick (can be traded on draft day if it's below the protection) can be moved to fill the 2 guard and the cap space can be used for a big man.

Worst case for next season:

Drummond
Monroe
Gay
Kevin Martin
Knight

If Monroe can be swapped for a better scorer, ie Cousins, even better.

As for Memphis and Vege's point:
Memphis does have Bayless. Stuckey though can play the 2 guard better than Bayless can. He fills the Mayo role more appropriately and also helps with the scoring.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:23 am

Rodney Stuckey + Tay prince i think makes the most sense. i think Memphis becomes a better team as Tay is more glue guy and floor general, while stuckey can provide scoring off the bench. Detroit obviously gets a go to scorer at the SF position which is what they dramatically need
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#8 » by parson » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:32 am

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Just seems like a perfect replica of the last 5-6 year's Atlanta Hawks to me.

Hawks haven't had that true Center, that would be a huge difference for DET. When the game slows down in the playoffs, an effective post player is vital. The Hawks with a Center like Drummond would reach the Finals, especially in a year or so.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#9 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:28 am

Theres alot of trades on here that I rarely agree with for my team or because they dont make since for other teams but I have to say I like this alot and good job on this proposal.

Return to Trades and Transactions