Does Brooklyn with Rudy Gay make them a contender?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Re: Does Brooklyn with Rudy Gay make them a contender? 

Post#21 » by nickforthreee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:22 am

Darain wrote:How about the other games where he shoots his team out of games by not passing it to Randolph?

im not a grizz fan and really dont watch them much but ive never seen rudy gay as a ballhog. he has a bad shot selection sometimes but to say that he is a terrible player and that roleplayers are better than him is laughable.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#22 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:24 am

nickforthreee wrote:can score at will, put the team on his back, come up big in clutch moments, completely take over a game. parsons is a role player. a good one yes, but a role player.

Besides that one Toronto game, what other "clutch moments" has Rudy ever had?

I saw him during a tight game with the Blazers last week and he completely disappeared when the game was close late. He also never "took the game over".

I don't know what player you're watching, but he's not the Rudy Gay I've ever seen.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
nickforthreee
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by nickforthreee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:34 am

DusterBuster wrote:
nickforthreee wrote:can score at will, put the team on his back, come up big in clutch moments, completely take over a game. parsons is a role player. a good one yes, but a role player.

I saw him during a tight game with the Blazers last week and he completely disappeared when the game was close late. He also never "took the game over".

I don't know what player you're watching, but he's not the Rudy Gay I've ever seen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKr-SZ3-AAE[/youtube]

:roll:
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,836

Post#24 » by LarsV8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:35 am

nickforthreee wrote:i can tell that you are one of the people who see certain stats go up when kobe is off the floor so you suggest the lakers are better off without kobe. stats arent everything my dude. if you have an argument with people in real life and try to say parsons is better than rudy you will get laughed at.

Nope, Kobe Bryant is an excellent player, top 10-15 all time.

You are trying pass off the "Rudy Gay is a good player" statement as if it is just understood and beyond any need for explanation. Your " completely take over games" and "come up big in clutch moments" is not evidence, its eye test, which is unreliable and comepletely biased.

For every game he has taken over, he completely chucked the Grizzlies out of others. There is no doubt if Rudy takes shots at the end game in every close game, he is going to make a few of them. Parsons has taken over games too. Although, Harden is usually our clutch guy, so no real measurements for Parsons.

I have watched Gay play, formed my opinions, which were subsequently confirmed by stats. I am very comfortable in arguing my position in person or over the internet, because frankly, its and accurate position.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,836

Post#25 » by LarsV8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:37 am

nickforthreee wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKr-SZ3-AAE[/youtube]

:roll:

Now post the boxscores for those games and lets see if his poor shooting is what made them close in the first place.
nickforthreee
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by nickforthreee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:38 am

and this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyS9OMAlaE[/youtube]
nickforthreee
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by nickforthreee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:40 am

LarsV8 wrote:
nickforthreee wrote:i can tell that you are one of the people who see certain stats go up when kobe is off the floor so you suggest the lakers are better off without kobe. stats arent everything my dude. if you have an argument with people in real life and try to say parsons is better than rudy you will get laughed at.

Nope, Kobe Bryant is an excellent player, top 10-15 all time.

You are trying pass off the "Rudy Gay is a good player" statement as if it is just understood and beyond any need for explanation. Your " completely take over games" and "come up big in clutch moments" is not evidence, its eye test, which is unreliable and comepletely biased.

For every game he has taken over, he completely chucked the Grizzlies out of others. There is no doubt if Rudy takes shots at the end game in every close game, he is going to make a few of them. Parsons has taken over games too. Although, Harden is usually our clutch guy, so no real measurements for Parsons.

I have watched Gay play, formed my opinions, which were subsequently confirmed by stats. I am very comfortable in arguing my position in person or over the internet, because frankly, its and accurate position.

we will just have to agree to disagree then because no matter what stats or boxscores you tell me about, you cannot convince me that chandler parsons is the same caliber of player as rudy gay.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 634

Post#28 » by jefe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:49 am

DusterBuster wrote:

He hit a game winner over Lebron at the buzzer last year. Just sayin'
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#29 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:03 am

can score at will, put the team on his back, come up big in clutch moments, completely take over a game. parsons is a role player. a good one yes, but a role player.

Let me fix this for you.

Can score a lot on extremely low efficiency, can take his teammates out of games, not particularly good at anything.

Overall a slightly above average player that thinks he is a superstar. Tremendously overpaid, I can go on. Nets already have a player just like that and his name is JJ.

Nice comparing a max player to someone paid less than 1m a year(Parsons). :lol:

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#30 » by TheToothFairy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:05 am

Wait. I already though Brooklyn were already contenders?
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,829

Post#31 » by Mk0 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:34 am

TheToothFairy wrote:Wait. I already though Brooklyn were already contenders?

:lol: :lol:

So.. uh.. Are the Nets are trying to absorb every awful contract in the league. Rudy will make 19mil in 2 years. Why would you do this to yourself?
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#32 » by Beardman » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:36 am

Might become worse.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#33 » by Krodis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:43 am

The thought of the Nets paying THAT starting lineup all that money is HILARIOUS.
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#34 » by Ronito » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:46 am

The Nets are better off with Wallace than Gay. I don't want Rudy Gay.
ClayDavis
Head Coach
And1: 104

Post#35 » by ClayDavis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:54 am

gerald wallace is one of the few guys in the league who could play the 4, but wouldnt they have to include him in the deal?
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,018

Post#36 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:18 am

DusterBuster wrote:

He took over the end of the DEN game a couple weeks back by scoring a couple of critical buckets when the game was close. The assertion that Parsons is better than Gay is ridiculous. Who cares how much he is getting paid? So many players are getting max contracts these days i can't see how anyone can make an underlying assumption that max contract = max performance.

Back on topic Gay is around 6-9 so he should be able to play the 4 and have a semi melo-like impact on the floor.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#37 » by Krodis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:23 am

Parsons is a similar rebounder, better passer, better defender, and better shooter than Gay. He's scoring 14 on decent efficiency to Gay's 18 on miserable efficiency.

Seriously, 18 points on sub- .500 TS%. That's just miserable. It's not even Iverson or Monta Ellis volume chucking. It's 17.8 points a game!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#38 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:38 am

nickforthreee wrote:im not sure if it would make them a contender but i think they would definitely be an elite team with him. they need a go to scorer and joe johnson just aint cuttin it.

PG: D-Will
SG: JJ
SF: Rudy
PF: Hump
C: Lopez

thats a lineup that can make some noise. hump should get traded for someone better tho but he can rebound and the other 4 are solid even tho dwill isnt great this year

Gay's overrated in basically the exact same way Johnson was. This would be making almost exactly the same mistake over again.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#39 » by PetroNet » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:02 pm

Mk0 wrote:
TheToothFairy wrote:Wait. I already though Brooklyn were already contenders?

:lol: :lol:

So.. uh.. Are the Nets are trying to absorb every awful contract in the league. Rudy will make 19mil in 2 years. Why would you do this to yourself?

what difference does it make how much rudy gay makes? he expires in 3 years. the nets are over the cap/tax for the next 4 years whether gay makes 19m or the league minimum
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#40 » by PetroNet » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:03 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
nickforthreee wrote:im not sure if it would make them a contender but i think they would definitely be an elite team with him. they need a go to scorer and joe johnson just aint cuttin it.

PG: D-Will
SG: JJ
SF: Rudy
PF: Hump
C: Lopez

thats a lineup that can make some noise. hump should get traded for someone better tho but he can rebound and the other 4 are solid even tho dwill isnt great this year

Gay's overrated in basically the exact same way Johnson was. This would be making almost exactly the same mistake over again.

im not sure joe johnson was a mistake. id rather have:

Joe Johnson, and be over the cap for the next 4 years.

then

Gaines, Morrow, Petro, late first rounder and be over the cap for the next 4 years.

Return to The General Board