Gay to DET w/ POR and w/o the LAL

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Gay to DET w/ POR and w/o the LAL 

Post#1 » by vege » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:46 am

Detroit Out: Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince
Detroit In: Rudy Gay and Nolan Smith

Monroe / Drummond / Kravtsov
Maxiell / CV / Jerebko
Gay / Daye / Middleton / Maggette
Singler / English
Knight / Bynum / Smith

They add Rudy Gay without add much long term money and without get into LT issues this season. They build core of Knight/Gay/Monroe/Drummond and they could have ~30 million in cap space if they wish next season to add 2-3 pieces and build a scary team for the foresee future.

Memphis Out: Rudy Gay
Memphis In: Tayshaun Prince, Luke Babbitt, Eliot Williams and Sasha Pavlovic

Gasol / Arthur / Haddadi
ZBo / Speights
Prince / Pondexter / Babbitt
Allen / Ellington / Elliot / Sasha
Conley / Bayless / Wotten / Selby

They save a lot of money this season and even more in the future while adding a high BBIQ veteran who would fit their team much better than Gay right now. They need to cut one player.

Portland Out: Luke Babbitt, Eliot Williams, Nolan Smith and Sasha Pavlovic
Portland In: Rodney Stuckey

Hickson / Leonard
LMA / Freeland / Jeffries
Batum / Claver
Matthews / Stuckey / Barton
Lillard / Price

During contract renovations with Detroit, Stuckey himself via twitter said he would love to play for Portland. I think Portland have a formidable first unity but their second unity is the worst in the entire league. Their second unit is absolutely non existent. They get Stuckey without give up anything but cap flexibility and Stuckey would fit like a glove for them as their sixth man.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Re: Gay to DET w/ POR and LAL 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:57 am

Can't say I'd complain about this as a Blazer fan. Stuckey's contract is unguaranteed next year, so it wouldn't hurt them too much from a cap standpoint if they don't want it too. He'd certainly make their bench a whole lot better than it currently is.

Blazers say yes.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
vege
RealGM

Post#3 » by vege » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:00 am

Stuckey contract is not unguaranteed next season, it's partially guaranteed.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#4 » by cucad8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:22 am

I don't care about his deal, I'd say yes for Portland, personally. Stuckey is the type of guard I'd like to target in the offseason.

Also am not sure if Claver was a throw in just for salary, but if so, I'd prefer swapping in Pavlovic for him. If that's an issue though, doesn't matter all that much.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#5 » by magic wand time » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:40 am

Lakers would pass on this. They already have a SF project in Ebanks and that 2nd is top 55 protected, so even if conyed it's 56-60. Jamison is more needed than either of those.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
vege
RealGM

Post#6 » by vege » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:16 am

Lakers are unimportant for this deal. They'd be silly to pass on this tho.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#7 » by BigLurch92 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:32 am

I think all say yes except LA. I would rather Pavlovic or Freeland were included instead of Claver but I would still do it anyways.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 am

Yeah, if Freeland or Sasha could replace Claver, that would be really nice for Portland, but it's not a deal breaker.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:55 am

Freeland should replace Claver, who is not a throw in from Portlands POV. This would give Memphis a 3rd string PF instead of a 4th string SF.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:02 am

Memphis ends up with 16 players..... Just sayin.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:38 am

I'm not sure I'm in agreement with other Blazer fans. My guess is that at the minimum the Blazer FO would likely insist on keeping Claver and substituting Freeland in the deal

That 4 million dollars that Stuckey is guaranteed next season is a cap-space killer for Portland. And his full 8.5 million salary is a significant overpay. I seriously doubt that Portland would want to absorb that for a perimeter player who is such a poor perimeter shooter

I also don't think Stuckey would be a very good guard in the offense Terry Stotts runs...such as it is

the more I think about it the less I like it.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#12 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:06 am

It really only helps if we are really set on a playoff push. Stuckey would be the back-up PG/SG scorer that we might need for that. Of course, I hate what it does to our summer plans, so it would be a shortsighted move, maybe necessitating that we only sign 1 year contracts next summer and kick any long term free agent moves to 2014.
vege
RealGM

Post#13 » by vege » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:35 am

DusterBuster wrote:Memphis ends up with 16 players..... Just sayin.

And I clearly specified that on my explanation... Just sayin.

I believe Sasha's contract is 100% unguaranteed right? If that's the case the deal would probably work with him instead of Claver, trying to sneak in Freeland when Portland is already getting a high robbery return in a trade is just pathetic imo.

I'll edit it removing the Lakers (their loss) and replacing Sasha for Claver.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#14 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:47 am

The reason Portland would insist on Freeland rather than Pavlovic (to even consider the trade) is to mitigate the effect this trade has on our summer flexibility. Stuckey is not a good enough player to warrant that, especially with his terrible efficiency this year.

There will be better ways to spend 8.5 million this summer. I would make a strong move for Jarrett Jack, who is a better fit for our team.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Re: Gay to DET w/ POR and w/o the LAL 

Post#15 » by rmfc » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:52 pm

Looks like a fair deal to all the teams involved.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#16 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd be pretty happy with a deal for Gay built around Prince+incentives. This deal does not contain any such incentives. Maybe Gay's market value is low enough that this is the best that can be had, but I doubt that's true.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#17 » by RoyalWun » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:17 pm

The only reason I'd take Stuckey is if he can be used as an expiring trade bait. Unless he turns into the Rodney Stuckey that's actually worth $8m.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#18 » by expatbayern » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:06 pm

RoyalWun wrote:The only reason I'd take Stuckey is if he can be used as an expiring trade bait. Unless he turns into the Rodney Stuckey that's actually worth $8m.

He was awful in November, but for December he put up 15, 6, and 3 on .421/.350/.857. Small sample and all that, but it's right in line with career highs for scoring and well above them for assists and 3p%. Rodney Stuckey looks like the player he's always been to me. He'll never be a good shooter, but he still draws fouls better than anyone on the current Blazers roster.

He'd be a great fit (can play next to Lillard or Matthews) and a major upgrade (taking all the minutes currently wasted on Price, Smith, and Pavlovic). And for a team with no bench players even managing to achieve replacement level, three D-league call-ups should in theory represent upgrades as well. The starters have played well enough for Portland to be thinking about the playoffs but they absolutely need to upgrade the bench and the #1 need is a sixth man scoring combo guard.

Stuckey seems like the best one of those we could hope to acquire, and at absolutely zero cost other than his partial guarantee for next year. Since getting a guy like Stuckey (plus re-signing Hickson) would be the best hope for cap space anyhow, I love this deal for the Blazers.

Return to Trades and Transactions