CBS report: Grizzlies also considering moving Z-Bo

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Re: CBS report: Grizzlies also considering moving Z-Bo 

Post#41 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:25 am

DarkAzcura wrote:Hollinger!!! haha, this can't be all him, but it'd be funny if it was

It certainly looks like it is. I would have liked to sit in on his powerpoint presentations explaining to the owner why he has to trade all these guys.

"So, Z-Bo, has a negative extended percentage rate when holding the ball in the left side of the paint. The league average is way above that, we can get a similar player for much cheaper!"

Think he watched Moneyball one too many times.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
ClayDavis
Head Coach
And1: 104

Post#42 » by ClayDavis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:50 am

no way in hell a front office with hollinger wielded considerable power ever ever ever ever trades for somebody like jeff green.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#43 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:16 am

Oh, I see. Because Hollinger is the most famous name on Memphis' staff, he's the one responsible for all of their moves from now on. Same with Jordan in Charlotte. I get it now.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#44 » by ricochet » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:17 am

SacKingsPejaFan wrote:That's just stupid crazy management. Other teams with 10 losses: Miami, San Antonio. I guess they should blow it up too? Especially San Antonio because they're not a guaranteed top 3 team in the league? Teams with 11 losses: New York and Golden State? Yeah, they should really blow it up too. Let the team compete. They never had Gay and Randolph healthy for a playoff run. Let them build chemistry and give it a try. They beat San Antonio without Gay--anything can happen in a 7 game series. Detroit won without superstars. Unless Memphis is planning to assemble a super-team somehow, they shouldn't be messing with Conley/ZBo/Gasol/Gay. From the teams they're talking to, it sounds like they're looking to blow it up and rebuild, which is just foolish. It's not like they're Atlanta where they're a perennial middle-seeder...this team can go places.

San Antonio is looking to pull off an upset by playing smart. Honestly speaking however, they won't be able to advance beyond the 2nd round. They are looking to make the best out of it and rebuild completely once Pop and Duncan retire.. i.e 2 years.

Memphis is the same. However, they don't want to go into full rebuilding mode. They don't have what it takes to go all the way. No superstar. No super coach. Extremely difficult to do it without those two come playoffs. They've already come down to earth after a hot start.

Golden State is not going to win the championship, but going deep into the playoffs is more than great for their franchise. 3-4 years of that will be more than enough for the owners and most fans after years of being a constant downer.

NY is NY. Huge market. Ih they, get the ship[.. Good.. Great for the NBA.. if they don't.. no significant market loss.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#45 » by Left Side Drive » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:19 am

SacKingsPejaFan wrote:That's just stupid crazy management. Other teams with 10 losses: Miami, San Antonio. I guess they should blow it up too? Especially San Antonio because they're not a guaranteed top 3 team in the league? Teams with 11 losses: New York and Golden State? Yeah, they should really blow it up too. Let the team compete. They never had Gay and Randolph healthy for a playoff run. Let them build chemistry and give it a try. They beat San Antonio without Gay--anything can happen in a 7 game series. Detroit won without superstars. Unless Memphis is planning to assemble a super-team somehow, they shouldn't be messing with Conley/ZBo/Gasol/Gay. From the teams they're talking to, it sounds like they're looking to blow it up and rebuild, which is just foolish. It's not like they're Atlanta where they're a perennial middle-seeder...this team can go places.

You are misinformed. Grizzlies front office are only trying to trade Gay or Randolph to avoid the luxury tax. I don't think they are trying to rebuild and are probably trying to find a way to keep their current pace in the West.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
carayip
Rookie
And1: 17

Post#46 » by carayip » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:35 am

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:They're not championship contenders and likely never will be, with Randolph aging, and him and Gay making the money they make. If they can cut costs and remain in the playoff race, it's worth it for sure. They're like the late-2000s-Hawks of the West as it stands.

With your logic, every team besides Miami and OKC should go into this firesale and rebuild mode?

You know Memphis are currently 22-10 and none of their core players are even 30 years old yet, right?
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#47 » by frozt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:35 am

Incoming some how trade with lakers getting both Gay and Randolph.

Nash
Kobe
Gay
Randolph
Dwight
Resident band wagon vigilante.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#48 » by The J Rocka » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:38 am

frozt wrote:Incoming some how trade with lakers getting both Gay and Randolph.

Nash
Kobe
Gay
Randolph
Dwight

Good thing they have that jaw dropping package of WP + Pau + Blake + Ebanks
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#49 » by TruSkool » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:41 am

zbo>>cousins

and character has a big part to it
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#50 » by Slava » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:48 am

Damn it, I was just about to hop on the Memphis bandwagon.

Now what? Rockets?!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#51 » by frozt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:52 am

The J Rocka wrote:

Nash
Kobe
Gay
Randolph
Dwight

Good thing they had that jaw dropping Package of Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton

Good thing they had that jaw dropping package of a mid level TPE and a draft pick.
Resident band wagon vigilante.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#52 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:58 am

New ownership looking like a bunch of dickheads right about now.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#53 » by mid-post » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:59 am

frozt wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

Nash
Kobe
Gay
Randolph
Dwight

Good thing they had that jaw dropping Package of Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton

Good thing they had that jaw dropping package of a mid level TPE and a draft pick.

you're an idiot! :lol:
Dajadeed
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,643

Post#54 » by Dajadeed » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:06 am

DarkAzcura wrote:Hollinger!!! haha, this can't be all him, but it'd be funny if it was

Maybe the owner already had his eyes set on cutting costs, so he hired a numbers guy to help him stay competitive while doing so.

More plausible, and I hate Hollinger.
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#55 » by RolloTommasi » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:12 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:Oh, I see. Because Hollinger is the most famous name on Memphis' staff, he's the one responsible for all of their moves from now on. Same with Jordan in Charlotte. I get it now.

Well, Jordan is the owner
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#56 » by thamadkant » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:14 am

Dajadeed wrote:

Maybe the owner already had his eyes set on cutting costs, so he hired a numbers guy to help him stay competitive while doing so.

More plausible, and I hate Hollinger.

Yeah.

It looks like Grizzlies owner finally read "Moneyball", saw the film too... And have spoken to some baseball GMs...

Good, hopefully the league smarten up with ridiculous 15+ million dollar contract to undeserving players simply because they have potential.
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#57 » by SacTownKings4Life » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:15 am

TruSkool wrote:zbo>>cousins

and character has a big part to it

Do you realize you're talking about a guy who used to play for the Jailblazers?

At 22-10, whoever signs off on a trade like this needs to be fired. We're talking about a top 4 team here.
Granted, I wouldn't MIND Randolph at all, if we could steal him without giving up Cousins (young, skilled big man for aging big man approaching the end of his career doesn't make a lot of sense for this team already in rebuild mode). But it still doesn't take away from the fact that the Grizz would be incredibly stupid to break it up right now. Look what happened to US after we traded Webber...
Just
Image Image
B Cuz
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#58 » by JoseRizal » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:30 am

Nash
Kobe
Gay
Randolph
Dwight

Turn on "Trade Override" first...
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,452

Post#59 » by whocurrz » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:49 am

Left Side Drive wrote:You are misinformed. Grizzlies front office are only trying to trade Gay or Randolph to avoid the luxury tax. I don't think they are trying to rebuild and are probably trying to find a way to keep their current pace in the West.

Just like OKC had to do this summer to avoid future tax penalities. They were able to make cost cutting move, that gave them future flexibility and are still contending despite giving up a player much better than either Gay or Randolph.

Memphis is probably looking to make a similar type of deal.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
SacTownKings4Life
Starter
And1: 118

Post#60 » by SacTownKings4Life » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:57 am

whocurrz wrote:
Left Side Drive wrote:You are misinformed. Grizzlies front office are only trying to trade Gay or Randolph to avoid the luxury tax. I don't think they are trying to rebuild and are probably trying to find a way to keep their current pace in the West.

Just like OKC had to do this summer to avoid future tax penalities. They were able to make cost cutting move, that gave them future flexibility and are still contending despite giving up a player much better than either Gay or Randolph.

Memphis is probably looking to make a similar type of deal.

Well considering how they went deeper into the playoffs WITH Randolph and WITHOUT Gay than they did WITH Gay and WITHOUT a healthy Randolph...
But I'd still rather keep it together if I were them. If I was a Grizz season ticket holder, and this kinda trade went down for no other reason than a "salary dump", I would be pissed as hell.
Just
Image Image
B Cuz

Return to The General Board