ImageImageImageImageImage

Mike Brown

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Mike Brown 

Post#1 » by Desiderium » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:12 am

I honestly feel like this team would have been better off keeping Mike Brown...yes we were awful on offense with the princeton stuff but I feel like it would have came together once Nash returned. it's so frustrating listening to Mike D'Antoni's interviews after the game, he has no idea what he's talking about and he's not even saying the right things!
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Mike Brown 

Post#2 » by TheRealLakersGM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:42 am

I think DAntoni is an upgrade over Brown overall. But they are both wrong coaches for this Lakers team.

If Phil is not coming back then hire Larry Brown. We need a guy who have proven something.

Offensively we are pretty good, defensively - oh my god... This team need defensive players, maybe a couple of small trades, plus a signing will get us better. But with D'Antoni it is over, no matter what. Second round is our best bet.

I truly believe Mike will be fired next week.
Desiderium
Veteran

Post#3 » by Desiderium » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:08 am

TheRealLakersGM wrote:I think DAntoni is an upgrade over Brown overall. But they are both wrong coaches for this Lakers team.

If Phil is not coming back then hire Larry Brown. We need a guy who have proven something.

Offensively we are pretty good, defensively - oh my god... This team need defensive players, maybe a couple of small trades, plus a signing will get us better. But with D'Antoni it is over, no matter what. Second round is our best bet.

I truly believe Mike will be fired next week.

it's just hard to think lakers will want to pay 3 coaches...paying mike brown, MD and larry might be a little too much. i would love to have shaw/rambis back
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#4 » by minifang » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:09 am

Didn't MDA say he would hire a defensive assistant? Where is he? At least with Phil, there was always Rambis and Cleamons coming up with our defensive schemes. It's not mentioned enough but the entirety of Phil's coaching staff had amazing chemistry and balance. Now we just have D'antoni and the leftover assistants of Mike Brown...

Everything is a mess. It's overkill to get ANOTHER new coach at this point in the season but it has to be done or we won't even sniff the playoffs.
The Purple and Gold
TheFix
Banned User
And1: 98

Post#5 » by TheFix » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:17 am

D'Antoni as HC and demoting Brown to defensive coordinator would have been best.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:23 am

seeing the lack of effort and the mental lapses that this team routinely has on defense under brown and now d'antoni, i'm willing to put this squarely on the players.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Desiderium
Veteran

Post#7 » by Desiderium » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:26 am

dockingsched wrote:seeing the lack of effort and the mental lapses that this team routinely has on defense under brown and now d'antoni, i'm willing to put this squarely on the players.

it's just so hard watching them play defense and giving up easy baskets...it's not even on dwight or pau, our perimeter defense is the problem. and transition
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#8 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:08 am

We should just hire the winningest coach in the Lakers' history:

MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#9 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:22 am

dockingsched wrote:seeing the lack of effort and the mental lapses that this team routinely has on defense under brown and now d'antoni, i'm willing to put this squarely on the players.

I think it is something more then that... It seems like the players don't believe in what they are doing and that is on the coaching staff.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#10 » by Optms » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:43 am

We sucked on defense with Brown.

Defense. That's all Mike Brown knew, right? And he failed miserably at it. There shouldn't be any purpose in keeping a coach if he isn't doing the job he's paid to do.

At the end of the day, I'm glad management acted swiftly. I've since been more disappointed in the team than I've of D'Antoni. What we've learned is that this team is flawed beyond coaching. Coaching isn't the main issue. But hey, at least management gave it a good ol try.
cbrown32
Junior
And1: 12

Post#11 » by cbrown32 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:48 am

Brown had them playing inspired, tough D at times last year. This team could have figured it out on offense, which they pretty much have. I wish we gave MB a little more time to have a healthy team, that was a panicked decision that has backfired badly so far.

The only reason I was for Brown being fired is I think he had lost the locker room, most importantly Kobe. Once you've done that it's tough to come back, but I would'v liked to see this team healthy under Brown as long as he let Nash/Kobe take control on offense. There's no denying he's a good Defensive coach...defensive principles take time to come to fruition.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#12 » by doozyj » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:57 am

Send Pringles down to the D-League for some development.
Frantik
Sixth Man
And1: 37

Post#13 » by Frantik » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:14 am

You guys are totally missing the point. Yes indeed MD sucks and hes totally wierd on interviews.... BUT... the problem is not so much the coach as it is the players. If you get phil jackson in here, we wont be any better off than the team that got blown away by Dallas in the playoffs.

Nash never could guard any starting point guard in the league and he certainly isnt going to start doing it at this age.

Kobe is just old. jumpers never go away... but chasing down the likes of westbrook, to avoid fast break layups etc... uhhh not gonna happen bruh... so what to do instead? easy! complain to the refs.

Dwight? I dont know what happened to this dude but he clearly isnt Dwight Howard. This Dwight fights for rebounds and makes you cringe whenever he initiates anything offensively. The old Dwight was flat out Megatron - 15+ rebounds at will...

Pau. Father Time came waaay to fast, he's done as an elite talent. Every once in a blue moon he can muster up enough to get a decent game but... he's clearly not elite anymore (injuries or no injuries, in the post or on perimeter). Hes always avoided contact and hes certainly not going to start being a bruiser now.

Meta... well metta isnt Ron Artest anymore. father time is catching up. Good games here and there but consistency declines with age. Still one of the best man2man defenders but the league is all about fast brakes now.

The bench?... well some are old, some are clueless, the rest are developing but too bad we are a win-now team.

You see.... offense and age don't have much beef but defense and age have their boundaries... we score enough points to win, defensively we suck. and no coach is going to funnel this conceptually flawed amalgam to a championship.

We need a younger energetic SF to start alongside Kobe, Nash, JHill, and Dwight.
Pau should come off the bench with metta
Dwight.... needs to get it together
Get rid of coach MD. a defenseless-minded coach isnt helping our woes and i doubt hes done much to nudge these guys towards actually being friends off the court.

Im done ranting now... if you skipped this post, good job, you did yourself a fukin favor. now back to programming at 2am... fml
Desiderium
Veteran

Post#14 » by Desiderium » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:01 pm

removing the head coach this late in the season won't do us much good unfortunately. best move has to be to move Pau, the starting 5 morale/confidence is down and the only way i think to stop the bleeding is to insert some new young blood in there.
kobeaki
Veteran
And1: 6

Post#15 » by kobeaki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:33 pm

Question, what does a coach do, amongst grown men and professional athletes?

Why have a head coach at all? Serious question...
ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

:lol:
kobeaki
Veteran

Post#16 » by kobeaki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:46 pm

LA_Sports wrote:

I think it is something more then that... It seems like the players don't believe in what they are doing and that is on the coaching staff.

Not just that, it's what they are being told to do, and where they are being told to be on the floor... I've yet to see any cohesion or game plan on the floor. The lakers look phrenetic, like a ragtag pickup crew...

No poetry, no math no roles no plan... Just get back and shoot...

Last nights game against Houston, was the most cohesive I've seen under mda, which would be ok, if that was our roster.,

It ain't though.

Serious question to the dcash et al ( no animus intended, oromise)...

But why did this team look so smooth and fluid under bickerstaff? Forget about win/loss records. Just why the stark difference ?

XuDa wrote:Magic, Bird and the other 80#s HOF'ers were holding the league back and stunting it's development big time.

kobeaki
Veteran

Post#17 » by kobeaki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:53 pm

Desiderium wrote:removing the head coach this late in the season won't do us much good unfortunately. best move has to be to move Pau, the starting 5 morale/confidence is down and the only way i think to stop the bleeding is to insert some new young blood in there.

What happens when Dwight walks away, and you traded pau for a shooting stretch 4? Is hill the starting center now? A guy that captain Pringles barely wanted to play a month ago?

Getting rid of pau, is every bit as much a panic move at this as firing mda.

Best we can do is suck it up for the season and trying to back door in to the playoffs...

Though , lakers org. Will have failed in the one area that was most critical, something that can't be bought and traded for, and that is another lost season for Kobe . Which was the whole point of making these big trades and sacking brown in the first place.

GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#18 » by GeneralNash » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:12 pm

We will never know. You have to admit we thought the lakers were coming around when md started and lakers got that 4 game winning streak. We need to play some bad teams. The schedule has been brutal.

Sent via tapatalk 2
kobeaki
Veteran

Post#19 » by kobeaki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:50 pm

GeneralNash wrote:We will never know. You have to admit we thought the lakers were coming around when md started and lakers got that 4 game winning streak. We need to play some bad teams. The schedule has been brutal.

Sent via tapatalk 2

I hear ya, and hope these are growing pains, but when I first knew that mda was indeed the coach I felt a pit in my stomach... I have never felt right about him coaching this team... No fast break team has won , and this lakers team was built to be a half court playoff team..,

And the best teams in the last 30 years did both, spurs ,showtime , heat, bulls... Or we're capable of playing and being competitive at both styles. Mda teams have never been great at either , great meaning meaning dominant , even those suns teams , while exciting were also beatable every night...

I'm a huge Phil guy, but I'm not suggesting he will be back, but this team and it's coaching staff represent , I think a split in management about what they really want accomplish.

Could the hiring of mda really be a signal that the lakers are done with Kobe?

Desiderium
Veteran

Post#20 » by Desiderium » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 am

kobeaki wrote:
Desiderium wrote:removing the head coach this late in the season won't do us much good unfortunately. best move has to be to move Pau, the starting 5 morale/confidence is down and the only way i think to stop the bleeding is to insert some new young blood in there.

What happens when Dwight walks away, and you traded pau for a shooting stretch 4? Is hill the starting center now? A guy that captain Pringles barely wanted to play a month ago?

Getting rid of pau, is every bit as much a panic move at this as firing mda.

Best we can do is suck it up for the season and trying to back door in to the playoffs...

Though , lakers org. Will have failed in the one area that was most critical, something that can't be bought and traded for, and that is another lost season for Kobe . Which was the whole point of making these big trades and sacking brown in the first place.

ultimately you take that chance. his contract is almost up, i dont see lakers keeping him after that anyways!
there will always be big men out there we can get for cheaper, and more productive.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers