LAL/DAL - Scanners head explosion trade

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

LAL/DAL - Scanners head explosion trade 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:15 am

LA Lakers trade:
Dwight Howard

Dallas Mavericks trade:
Dirk Nowitzki (if he waives his NTC)

Why for the Lakers? They should start getting worried about Dwight's UFA now. If so, Dirk really fits a lot of what they're trying to do. It goes into uber win now mode during Kobe's last few elite years. Puts Pau back in the low post and at center, which with the spacing Dirk provides may get his production back on track. Gives D'Antoni an uber pick and roll combination in Nash and Dirk. They'd still be old and slow defensively but when you have Nash, Kobe, Dirk and Pau (!!!), it might not matter

Why for the Mavericks? They try to set themselves up for the future by grabbing Dwight to woo him into signing long term, with a great owner who's built a title team around a star already during the Dirk era. Cuban has been more preoccupied with Dwight than Dirk the last few years, so why not
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,375

Re: LAL/DAL - Scanners head explosion trade 

Post#2 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:55 am

Why would Dwight re-sign with the Mavericks if Dirk isn't going to be there?
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#3 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:09 am

This is simple.. The Lakers would let him walk before they trade him in deal like this. If Dwight walks they have money to get better, rather then being anchored with another old player with a big contract.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,375

Post#4 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:30 am

Wait, really? Dirk is now an "old player with a big contract"?
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#5 » by -Kees- » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:45 am

Anytime you say "uber" twice in the same paragraph somethings bound to be wrong...
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#6 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:46 am

Come on now, there is no way this honestly benefits the Lakers. Even in the original post he writes about the Mavs wanting to build for the future, why not the Lakers? Lakers want to win now, but not at the expense of their own future. Plus Dirk puts them absolutely no where closer to winning when their main concern is defense.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#7 » by magic wand time » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:36 am

Head Explosion...
3 Way trade (and Cuban's summer '13)
Min out - B Roy
In - VC, Earl Clark
Wolves get a SG/SF for their playoff push and a backup Fwd to help while Love is out
They help facilitate the head explosion by clearing '13-14 cap for Dallas

LA out - Dwight, Clark, Duhon, Ebanks
In - Dirk, Marion, Cunningham
Lakers re-org while remaining contenders and keeping their '14 plan alive
They help facilitate the head explosion by clearing 3 more '13-14 salaries for Dallas

Dal out - Dirk, Marion, VC, Cunningham
In - Dwight, Roy*, Duhon*(1.5), Ebanks*
It's all about Cuban getting Dwight into a Mavs uni so he can make the sales pitch, more long money, no state tax, 50 mill in cap space, and a do what it takes owner.

Head explosion: Mayo, Crowder, 1.5 Duho b/o, plus holds, and Cuban resigns Dwight and signs Chris Paul for 19m each, same as Heat stars will get, and with the 13m left Dwight snaps up best bud Josh Smith to play Fwd.
Cuban's coup is complete and Mavs roll with Paul, Mayo, Josh and Dwight, even surprising Crowder, as a young athletic and worthy team of Miami or Okla calibre for contention and longevity.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,227

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:08 pm

Nope, after seeing this for about the 5th time in 2 days it still makes no sense for either team or Dirk who has a no-trade clause. Dirk doesnt solve LAL issues and no way Dallas gives up Dirk to rent Dwight.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,820

Post#9 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:20 pm

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Why would Dwight re-sign with the Mavericks if Dirk isn't going to be there?

Because Cuban can say, "With all my cap space, who do you want to invite on our team? Chris Paul? Josh Smith? Iguodala?

Unfortunately, I think Dwight is too flighty for anyone to trade for right now. He may be completely on board with the idea of building a multi-superstar team in Dallas today, and tomorrow decide he loves New York or LA. Cuban is wild and rich enough to gamble, maybe?

magic wand time wrote:Head Explosion...
3 Way trade (and Cuban's summer '13)
Min out - B Roy
In - VC, Earl Clark
Wolves get a SG/SF for their playoff push and a backup Fwd to help while Love is out
They help facilitate the head explosion by clearing '13-14 cap for Dallas.

In a heartbeat for MIN.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,469

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:25 pm

LA_Sports wrote:This is simple.. The Lakers would let him walk before they trade him in deal like this. If Dwight walks they have money to get better, rather then being anchored with another old player with a big contract.

Lakers would have a 3.183m cap space exception. Please tell me who is available next summer for 3m that would make more of a difference then Dirk.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#11 » by deNIEd » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:08 pm

LA_Sports wrote:This is simple.. The Lakers would let him walk before they trade him in deal like this. If Dwight walks they have money to get better, rather then being anchored with another old player with a big contract.

Not really, you're kind of wrong, and by kind of I mean completely.

Even if Dwight walks for nothing, the Lakers would still be nearly $30 million dollars over the salary cap, meaning all you have left are various exceptions. In the summer of 2014, Kobe, Gasol, Artest, and other's come off the books, which is when the Lakers potentially have cap space (assuming they renounce the rights to all of their players), that is the same summer Dirk's contract expires.

If Dwight walks for nothing, the Laker's team next season will be the exact same as this season's team, with the exception of Dwight not being there.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#12 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:14 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Lakers would have a 3.183m cap space exception. Please tell me who is available next summer for 3m that would make more of a difference then Dirk.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought on reading this post. Letting Dwight walk doesn't mean cap space, so you definitely want to get what you can for him. And, if Dirk were a free agent, and if LA had cap space I think it would be pretty happy to sign him for what he is currently earning.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 69

Post#13 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:58 pm

I think this trade makes sense for both teams. Dirk can help the Lakers compete for a title more than Dwight can while Kobe is still productive. Dwight is a gamble for Cuban, but didn't the Mavs owner prove that he was willing to gamble when he broke up a championship team?
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#14 » by Leto » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:27 pm

Did you watch last night's Houston/Laker game? The Rockets scored 60 points in the paint. This trade makes that an every night occurance. The only thing the Lakers would win with this trade is the lottery.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,469

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:06 pm

Leto wrote:Did you watch last night's Houston/Laker game? The Rockets scored 60 points in the paint. This trade makes that an every night occurance. The only thing the Lakers would win with this trade is the lottery.

Nonsense.

First thing that would happen would be Marc Cuban would have a doors closed meeting with Howard. Next thing that would happen would be Howard would announce he is out for the foreseeable future.

LAL might have horrific defense without Howard, but Dallas would keep him out until the ping pong balls settled and also wouldn't have Dirk on offense. (Also, Phx gets the Lakers pick if its in the lottery :o )
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#16 » by Leto » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:21 pm

^ Hahaha....LAL starting line up would be like the PGA Senior's Tour.

Gasol--32
Dirk--34
Metta--33
Kobe---34
Nash---38

Holy crap. Lakers will have to change their name to the Medicares. If they get over half court once during the game, its considered a success....lol

Return to Trades and Transactions