ImageImage

Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Re: Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension 

Post#161 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:56 am

-Good free agents don't want to play for Milwaukee. Even for average ones you have to overpay.
-He did find some cheap free agents who helped (Stackhouse, Dunleavy etc).
-You can't trade garbage for gold. You have to take risk and try problematic players (Maggette, Jackson etc) in attempt to get your version of Rasheed/Randolph.
-His trades for role players were sucesfull though (Ridnour, Delfino, Beno, Udoh etc)
-He wanted to tank but owner didn't allow.
-He has done great job drafting.
-He re-signed his own free againts for cheap (Bogut, Ersan, Moute) or rightly let them go (CV, Sessions). The only exception being Salmons but there was no choise in that case.
-The end result was greatly efected by extreme amount of injuries of best players (Bogut, Redd).

What is not to like? Hammonds for president!!!!
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#162 » by Jollay » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:02 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:This is about the most depressing news since we dropped to 6th in the Oden/Durant draft.

I think that night was worse for me personally.

If we fired Hammond, Kohl would still be running things. Had we finished second in that lotto, we'd have Durant and be a 50-win team right now.

That lotto was our one chance to escape Kohl's mediocrity.

The only regret I have from that draft is we didn't trade #6 for all the Sixers firsts that year like they offered, or something else.

The reason being if we picked first, this board wanted Oden 80-20% about...I remember it well.

And yes, we still had Bogut at the time. Talk about a debacle that would have been.

As I said, to me Hammond has been fine so far because his drafting has been good. The trading has really been mostly inconsequential long term. But what he does in the next 3-18 months will determine if he's good enough to be a success here.

Very torn about a hole at SG BTW. It's an easy position to find an above average player without a high pick in the draft, but It's almost impossible to find a very good to all-star calibur player there without it. Gotta hope for Michael Redd II there or more likely trade/cap room.

We'll see. Still reserving judgement on a guy in a situation where very few people would have had markedly more success in so far (with Kohl).
MilTownBucks
Junior
And1: 49

Post#163 » by MilTownBucks » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:53 pm

Nothing new here, but just got done watching Hammond interview on the morning news (1st time Ive seen the Bucks on Madison news in quite some time which is so pathetic).

We shouldnt get our hopes up about tanking. He said "We still expect to contend, we still expect to win, we still expect to make the playoffs, no matter who the coach is"

I just want to contend for the future...we arent going to win anything in the next 3 years.

No big contracts yet please...
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#164 » by unklchuk » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:20 pm

don't really see how you can say he's been good.

My take: if Kohl and Hammond have the exact same understanding they've had for years, the extension is bad news. More status quo, more stubborn inaction, more bad decisions.

But if the Skiles release and the extension talk came after K & H came to a new understanding of The Plan, then I see some hope in the extension.

- - - - - - -

I wonder if Sigra's wife torments him the way that he tries to torment members here?
AFAIK, IDKM
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#165 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:27 pm

unklchuk wrote:
My take: if Kohl and Hammond have the exact same understanding they've had for years, the extension is bad news. More status quo, more stubborn inaction, more bad decisions.

This is what Sparky was trying to get at on his various shows yesterday. Hammond has the same W-L record as Skiles. So if you are going to say Skiles didn't do the job, then neither has Hammond.

And as he noted, Skiles told Kohl and Hammond last summer he wanted out. Those two guys were put on notice that they had a volatile coach who was acting up. Bringing Skiles back was a horrible decision given the circumstances. But they elected to keep him in place for this season, so the events of yesterday are on them.

But more importantly, as Sparky said, if Kohl is going to insist on win now yet have standards no higher than the 6, 7th or 8th seed as corporate goals, nothing has changed. We won't play the young guys for development purposes and we will keep treading water, unable to do what is necessary to acquire an all star player (i.e. tank).

Sparky even went so far as to say that maybe the change to Boylan loosens these guys up and the team wins 45 games this year. And then Boylan gets a big three year extension. But because we have no all stars the whole thing is unsustainable, so people will be back complaining on the postgame show next year about Boylan. Rinse, lather, repeat. And in the meantime we've wasted another couple years where we could have been doing a proper rebuild.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#166 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:30 pm

To me the whole thing hinges on the organization's philosophy. I don't expect them to tank, but I do expect that they will play the young guys, not spend any big money on veterans in FA, and let the chips fall where they may. I don't expect them to outright blatantly tank (fake injuries, etc.). But if we're still operating under a mandate of spending up to the tax, ignoring young guys PT, etc., then I am 100% against a Hammond extension.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#167 » by unklchuk » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:45 pm

Not sure if I'm differing with Luke or not. But I'm fine with over-spending for this season. If they can add a starter-quality wing to balance the roster, I don't care what he costs. If that guy has two years left, and they don't plan to retain Ellis (or Jennings), then AFAIK that's OK too. It's just that I don't want a Win Now move to shackle the future. And I don't want a player who has a lottery ticket chance of still having game.

ETA: Making the playoffs and generating some excitement in the first round WILL HELP this team. It's a bit like ER care that keeps the patient alive and functioning so that slower-acting treatments have a chance to work. Without the ER, those slower treatments may be useless.
AFAIK, IDKM
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#168 » by Nowak008 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:46 pm

So we have a couple solid young players and we all want to give Hammond a shot a full rebuild? Ugh. I know we are desperate for the tank, and will take any situation where that is the end result, but we gotta get Hammond outta here. Did anyone read AussieBuck's thread? The guy is terrible. No creative moves for impact players, no all stars added in 5 years, and failed miserably the last 2 years to make the playoffs in the crappy eastern conference.

What am I missing?
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#169 » by craig » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:12 pm

I expect that Hammonds/Kohl want to win now, but play youth that is reasonably ready at the same time. Sanders and Henson, they can help win now and future. Can Harris? I don't know.

Disappointing rumor, Hammonds hasn't impressed at all. But, the most important thing that a GM does is draft. If you both give Hammonds a pass on Alexander, and still believe that Harris is decent, then Hammond's draft record looks good. Hopefully if he does get extended, he'll draft well and good things will follow.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Post#170 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:12 pm

Nowak008 wrote:What am I missing?

Location of the Bucks.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#171 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Thought this deserved it's own thread. If I read the tweet wrong, feel free to delete.

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP
John Hammond RT @jpcadorin: "The senator and I are in the process of working out an extension for me"

So 2 weeks later and no extension for Hammond. We're also within a month of the trade deadline. If they are/were indeed working on it, I can't understand what the delay is in getting it done. I mean I know there are details to hash out, but overall I'd think it would move along.

I'd like to get Hammond's fate taken care of soon. I'm guessing he's back for sure at this point.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#172 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm

N8Frog wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Thought this deserved it's own thread. If I read the tweet wrong, feel free to delete.

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP
John Hammond RT @jpcadorin: "The senator and I are in the process of working out an extension for me"

So 2 weeks later and no extension for Hammond. We're also within a month of the trade deadline. If they are/were indeed working on it, I can't understand what the delay is in getting it done. I mean I know there are details to hash out, but overall I'd think it would move along.

I'd like to get Hammond's fate taken care of soon. I'm guessing he's back for sure at this point.

Thanks for jinxing it :(

They probably forgot about it until you bumped this thread!

jk

Maybe ;)
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#173 » by crkone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

N8Frog wrote:

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP

:lol:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#174 » by H2tObes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm

N8Frog wrote:

1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP

Kohl lurks realgm obviously.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#175 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Ha, thats crazy!

Your welcome Hammond fans.
I'm sorry Hammond detractors.

Yours Truly,
The Senator

:)
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#176 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Funny thing is, I think Sparky mentioned this on his post game show last night, how it had been a couple weeks since that report and nothing happened.

Weird timing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks