ImageImage

Kohl/Arena Discussion Page 71 - Study Released

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Re: Kohl/Arena Discussion-(Big update pg 51 - Heisley rumor) 

Post#801 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:17 pm

The Seattle thing is huge. Because then we come back to Virginia Beach, Kansas City, Louisville and Vegas as possibilities for the Bucks. Am I forgetting any markets?

I realize all of those places are threats. But they just aren't on the level of Seattle. With Seattle you've got major market dollars and multiple corporate HQ's and bigwigs who can pressure Stern and the league. The other places aren't in the same league there.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#802 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:18 pm

Not sure if people know this about Heisley, but he is a Chicago guy that has made several attempts to get a second NBA team in Chicago. He also has a history with relocated teams. I don't think he is a sure thing to keep the Bucks in Milwaukee.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#803 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:20 pm

That explains why Cousins hasn't been traded. I'm excited for Seattle to have NBA basketball again.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
stevescheffler06
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#804 » by stevescheffler06 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:59 pm

Kings have come out to officially denounce the rumor. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time though now that VA Beach is out of the running.
Sneaky Pete wrote:In Disgiuse.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,792

Post#805 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:43 pm

DocHoliday wrote: I'm excited for Seattle to have NBA basketball again.

Same here. Those fans deserve it. But on the other hand, I'd feel horrible for SAC fans.
stevescheffler06
Analyst
And1: 223

Post#806 » by stevescheffler06 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:20 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
DocHoliday wrote: I'm excited for Seattle to have NBA basketball again.

Same here. Those fans deserve it. But on the other hand, I'd feel horrible for SAC fans.

Completely agree. They've been in Sacto for almost 30 years. That's a long time and a couple generations of fans growing up and sharing that experience with their kids. F Clay Bennett for life.
Sneaky Pete wrote:In Disgiuse.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#807 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:40 pm

Woj just tweeted this...

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#808 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:51 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The Seattle thing is huge. Because then we come back to Virginia Beach, Kansas City, Louisville and Vegas as possibilities for the Bucks. Am I forgetting any markets?

And fortunately all of those cities have question marks. Virginia Beach isn't a "huge" market and is a tourist based economy. Vegas has the obvious link to gambling which I would think the NBA would want to stay far away from, plus the same medium/small market with tourist based economy & not alot of residents with local ties to support the team. I would say Louisville or Kansas City would be the biggest threats, but both have such a strong college basketball fan base, especially Kentucky. Both of their "new" arenas by the time the Bucks would move would have to be pushing 10 years without looking, maybe a little less.

I don't really know any other places interested in a team. Another city in Ohio maybe, or New Jersey now that they bolted to Brooklyn.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#809 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:55 pm

Sounds like they are hoping to make the move by next season. They'd play in the old Key Arena until the new stadium was ready to go.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#810 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:59 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Sounds like they are hoping to make the move by next season. They'd play in the old Key Arena until the new stadium was ready to go.

Wow. Glad Seattle is getting a team back. Hope they can get the Sonics name back, but I believe OKC owns the rights to all of that. But I think the Ravens did too with the Browns, but somehow the Browns got their name back.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#811 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:05 pm

Kind of cool the NBA will once again have the Seattle SuperSonics and the Charlotte Hornets.
kebzach
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#812 » by kebzach » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:05 pm

N8Frog wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:The Seattle thing is huge. Because then we come back to Virginia Beach, Kansas City, Louisville and Vegas as possibilities for the Bucks. Am I forgetting any markets?

And fortunately all of those cities have question marks. Virginia Beach isn't a "huge" market and is a tourist based economy. Vegas has the obvious link to gambling which I would think the NBA would want to stay far away from, plus the same medium/small market with tourist based economy & not alot of residents with local ties to support the team. I would say Louisville or Kansas City would be the biggest threats, but both have such a strong college basketball fan base, especially Kentucky. Both of their "new" arenas by the time the Bucks would move would have to be pushing 10 years without looking, maybe a little less.

I don't really know any other places interested in a team. Another city in Ohio maybe, or New Jersey now that they bolted to Brooklyn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Center

Info on Kansas City's areana which is just over 5 years old. Keep in mind that if and when KC gets a team, NHL or NBA, they will probably sink $ 50-100M to "upgrade" the areana to even more current modern day standards. That $ 50-100M to be put into an existing arena would still be a heck of a lot easier to do than to get a brand new arena built in Milwaukee.

I'd say if the Seattle Kings holds up, then KC is the new #1 threat.
DickCunningham
Rookie
And1: 238

Post#813 » by DickCunningham » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:13 pm

stevescheffler06 wrote:Kings have come out to officially denounce the rumor. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time though now that VA Beach is out of the running.

The Maloof family has repeatedly said in the past they do not intend to sell the team

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/09/510268 ... mored.html

Franchises never let the truth get in the way of public relations efforts.
"Our goal is to become a championship team," Kidd said.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#814 » by xTitan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:28 pm

NBA needs contraction real bad.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#815 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:52 pm

xTitan wrote:NBA needs contraction real bad.

I think they are/should expand.

Europe and the D-League primarily and eventually an Asian division.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,792

Post#816 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:14 pm

kebzach wrote:
N8Frog wrote:

Info on Kansas City's areana which is just over 5 years old. Keep in mind that if and when KC gets a team, NHL or NBA, they will probably sink $ 50-100M to "upgrade" the areana to even more current modern day standards. That $ 50-100M to be put into an existing arena would still be a heck of a lot easier to do than to get a brand new arena built in Milwaukee.

That is one funky-looking arena.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#817 » by xTitan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:57 pm

Nebula1 wrote:

The product for the majority of NBA teams is simply awful, don't see that changing anytime soon.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#818 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:15 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
kebzach wrote:
N8Frog wrote:

That is one funky-looking arena.

I've been down there several times. The Power and Light district, while it attracts some douches, is a pretty sweet entertainment area right next to the stadium.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#819 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 am

So, I would rather have Kohl own the team than sell it to Heisley. Another way of putting that is: I would rather have a frustrating basketball team in Milwaukee than no team at all.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#820 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:14 pm

xTitan wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:

The product for the majority of NBA teams is simply awful, don't see that changing anytime soon.

Well I hope you realize that after Stern steps down, his focus will strictly become strengthening the European league and bringing the NBA there. It will happen. I won't be surprised to see a 4 or 5 team European division before 2025.

The NBA is in good shape and will likely be the one of the top 2 sports in the world next to soccer in 50 years.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks