WWE TV Thread: NINE finishers later... Cena kicks out!

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Re: WWE TV Thread: NINE finishers later... Cena kicks out! 

Post#21 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:56 am

I just have a hard time knowing what makes a great Royal Rumble/battle royal and what makes others not so great. I always thought the 1992 one is considered great primarily because the critics' golden boy won. If anyone but Flair had won, would it be looked at the same way?
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#22 » by Vandal Savage » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:15 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I just have a hard time knowing what makes a great Royal Rumble/battle royal and what makes others not so great. I always thought the 1992 one is considered great primarily because the critics' golden boy won. If anyone but Flair had won, would it be looked at the same way?

I can tell you how a not so great one looks. The one two years ago (I think) that was filled with stupid comedy. Cena and Hornswoggle crap in the ring together.
Throwback24 wrote:I want to see Andrea Bargnani naked
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#23 » by spykelee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:12 am

I liked Raw but certainly some talking points;

Rocky was lame I thought. Honestly I thought he'd bring it a lot bigger and better than he did. He was so cliche and predictable. Punk killed it as usual. Rocky needs to step up in the microphone battle and not just be a walking catchphrase.

The Ryback... I'm shocked that WWE allowed Punk to compete in a TLC match on Raw so recently removed from surgery. Those moves did look devastating and painful, and I'm shocked they would risk there meal ticket taking shots like that so soon after surgery and heading into the rumble. I think Ryback probably is as safe as a guy like him can be, but to me, that means he isn't entirely safe, as few big powerful guys, with that kind of moveset are. The two just do not go hand in hand. Anyways, that was a great match, I'm just shocked they had punk take the bumps that he did. That seemed completely pointless and risky.

Also shocked they had Cena kick out of so many of Dolph's finishers, and why is Dolph even with Big E? AJ I can understand, but he doesn't need Big E. IMO, he should distance himself from Big E and work on establishing himself as a legit main eventer, as we all know he is.

Kaitlyn is terrible. She is easily the ugliest diva, Tamina aside... and I don't get why they keep trying to push her.

All in all a pretty good Raw though. Much better than the last few weeks that's for sure.
Banco
Junior
And1: 36

Post#24 » by Banco » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:03 am

Wait what?

spoiler wrote:Alberto Del Rio is the new World Heavyweight Champion. He defeated The Big Show in a last man standing match on Smackdown
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#25 » by Vandal Savage » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:11 am

Him as a face doesnt work well. He might feud with a heel Orton now.
Throwback24 wrote:I want to see Andrea Bargnani naked
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#26 » by spykelee » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:34 am

I actually don't mind Del Rio as a face. But his turn had to be about the laziest writing we've seen in recent time.

Anyways, on that spolier;

I'm shocked that they'd take the title off Big Show like that. I like Del Rio and all, in fact, probably even more than most here... but I thought they'd done a good job building up big show and making him legit. And Show had done a great job as champion I thought. He's had a real good 6 or so months.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#27 » by whysoserious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:11 pm

spykelee wrote:I actually don't mind Del Rio as a face. But his turn had to be about the laziest writing we've seen in recent time.

Anyways, on that spolier;

I'm shocked that they'd take the title off Big Show like that. I like Del Rio and all, in fact, probably even more than most here... but I thought they'd done a good job building up big show and making him legit. And Show had done a great job as champion I thought. He's had a real good 6 or so months.

I like Del Rio a lot. In the ring he's solid, on the mic he's pretty good but as you said, they didn't even turn him properly. Fans in the arena are like do we boo this guy like before, do we cheer him now, what do we do?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#28 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:24 pm

I officially have no idea what's going on with the WHC for Mania. So many options now.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#29 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:30 pm

My thoughts on the spoiler

So many things wrong with this. Big Show is in the best stretch of his career, they've done a great job building him as a legit main eventer and he's done a great job all around. I'm a Del Rio fan, he's very good inside the ring, but outside the ring I only see heel characteristics. The thick accent, stupid winky face, his whole snake oil salesmen look, he screams heel and as a face who's going to be smiling and trying to connect with the fans... I don't know, I'm expecting a bunch of cringeworthy promo's from the new champ.

Just wrong. Del Rio was nowhere near properly built up he wasn't even properly turned. Big Show was having a very memorable title reign. I'll try to keep an open mind but I don't know how to spin this as a positive.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#30 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:04 pm

Looking forward to SD at least, you'd hope the main event was a pretty good match.
Banco
Junior
And1: 36

Post#31 » by Banco » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:06 pm

My thoughts:

My problems with the switch are how out of the blue it is and that they did it with a guy who has no momentum right now. If it was someone like Cesaro or Barrett or Ryback who won out of the blue, it would still be "shocking" but it would also make some kind of sense because all of those guys are winning every week or look dominant. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Del Rio, but damn, at least build up to this happening and let the guy win the WHC on the upcoming PPV.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:16 pm

Any news sites can quote me on my statement below:

CM Punk, I have lost all respect for you for nor saying no to the writers of the WWE for saying Bruno Sammartino only wrestled once a month in Madison Square Garden. You talk about one of the greatest icons ever in pro wrestling like he was a JOBBER??? You should be ashamed of yourself for not having the self-dignity to say NO to the writers on that line. That line you delivered indicates that I am a big loser like Bruno as well and insults me as I wrestled in the same era as Bruno. This only confirms more that I want my name out of the WWE Hall of Fame.

How many monthly sell outs have you yourself drawn at Madison Square Garden? Not a PPV or the Raw TV show. Quit talking trash about Bruno. It’s an insult to him and all the wrestlers of his era including myself!

Superstar Billy Graham”

Billy Graham still thinks wrestling is real.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Post#33 » by kdawg32086 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:27 pm

Del Rio becoming a face champion is kinda funny. First, they lazily turn him in a way where fans think it's a turn but the WWE provides no clarity on it. Two weeks ago on Christmas, most fans couldn't tell whether or not he was a heel or a face after he hit Santa Claus with his car. Now he's getting the title belt? I can only hope he's a transitional champion and loses the belt to Ziggler... It's too bad Carlito wasn't smart enough to stay out of trouble in the WWE. He and ADR would have been an awesome duo together.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#34 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:29 pm

Stanford wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:07 pm

It would be cool if Ricky Steamboat could have a mini feud with Barrett for the IC tite. He puts up a good fight, but can't top the youngster. Then we need a new challenger for the IC title. In comes Richie Steamboat!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:23 pm

By the way, did everyone here know what cookiepuss was? I only knew it from the Howard Stern Show. Otherwise, I would have no clue what he was talking about.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#37 » by Brandon-Clyde » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:53 pm

Considering the suddeness of Show losing the title and the very short match on Raw I wonder if there is some injury to show that he needed to drop the title and take some time off
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:00 pm

Lawl, made you highlight.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#39 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:21 pm

They shoulda done it on Raw or saved it for a live SD!
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#40 » by Sebastian » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:34 pm

Stanford wrote:
Any news sites can quote me on my statement below:

CM Punk, I have lost all respect for you for nor saying no to the writers of the WWE for saying Bruno Sammartino only wrestled once a month in Madison Square Garden. You talk about one of the greatest icons ever in pro wrestling like he was a JOBBER??? You should be ashamed of yourself for not having the self-dignity to say NO to the writers on that line. That line you delivered indicates that I am a big loser like Bruno as well and insults me as I wrestled in the same era as Bruno. This only confirms more that I want my name out of the WWE Hall of Fame.

How many monthly sell outs have you yourself drawn at Madison Square Garden? Not a PPV or the Raw TV show. Quit talking trash about Bruno. It’s an insult to him and all the wrestlers of his era including myself!

Superstar Billy Graham”

I was about to say that Punk blurred the line between shoot and worked shoot so well that Billy Graham couldn't tell the difference. I think it's because some of the stuff was delivered with so much conviction and was probably exactly how Punk truly felt (when he was putting over Kidd, Bryan, Clay, and Ryback). Ol Billy had no idea that when Punk starting spouting off about Bruno that he was back 100% in character and just doin' what a heel's gotta do. Ironically I think Punk is probably one of the few guys in the business today who acknowledges and realizes the impact that a guy like Sammartino had.

About Ryback, that Punk table spot really scared me for a moment. I don't necessarily blame Ryback; how many TLC matches can you remember that didn't have an accident/near accident like that or similar? Just a nature of the beast. I still think it was wrong to thrust Ryback into a feud for the WWE title so quickly, but I'll admit he's more than Mason Ryan with a better gimmick.Something needs to be done about his promos, though. Whether it was his idea or creatives to have him huff and puff and make silly metaphors about eating in an effort to be intense, it needs to evolve into something better quickly. The guy is gonna have to talk if he's going to be a main eventer with a possible WHC match at Mania.

Return to Pro Wrestling