RGIII Has Torn ACL and LCL

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: RGIII Has Torn ACL and LCL 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:48 pm

Nivek wrote:Indu: Your information seems a bit...dated. Rehab starts on the same day as the ACL reconstruction surgery. Patients typically are on crutches for 7-10 days unless they also had mensicus repair or had another ligament reconstructed. In those cases, it might be 3-4 weeks on crutches.

Expectations nowadays are for people to return to sports approximately 6 months after reconstructive surgery. Maybe a little longer time if multiple ligaments need reconstruction.

Just before my 39th birthday, I tore my ACL, strained my MCL and partially tore my meniscus. I was able to stand on my leg in the Recovery Room after surgery. I shed my crutches in 2 days and could walk without a limp after 9. I played basketball again in 5 months (although my physical therapist wasn't happy with me). After about 9 months, I could play basketball with no noticeable difference from my pre-injury form. (I'm fortunate that I injured my right knee since I jump off my left.)

Currently, my only issue is that my hamstring is a bit weak (they did a hamstring graft rather than a cadaver since I had no need to maintain elite athleticism). On the hamstring curl machine at the gym, I can lift 55 pounds of plates with my reconstructed knee, and 65 with my good knee. The ACL itself feels fine. I can play ball with no brace and can run 10 miles with no knee soreness.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#22 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:05 am

Oh god. Please get better. This was the worst possible ending to the season... Poor guy is just a kid.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#23 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:08 am

Schefter report is that Griffin will have LCL surgery next week. Dr. Andrews will assess ACL damage then. Looking like 3-9 month window.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#24 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:10 am

For the non med students here, how does this affect his performance long term? Peterson made a full recovery, but just tore his ACL, correct?
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#25 » by Earth2Ted » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:19 am

Nivek wrote:Schefter report is that Griffin will have LCL surgery next week. Dr. Andrews will assess ACL damage then. Looking like 3-9 month window.

I'm not buying this "RG3 already had the ACL operated on, so you can't read the MRI" stuff. Didn't they just clear his ACL from his MRI a month ago after the 1st injury in the Ravens game?

This "Assessment" has to be not if, but how bad, the tear is.

Edited to add: unless the implication is, maybe they misread the MRI the 1st time and he actually MIGHT have been playing with ACL damage for the last month of the season? Now that would be a WHOOOOOLE other can of worms.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:58 am

Nivek wrote:Schefter report is that Griffin will have LCL surgery next week. Dr. Andrews will assess ACL damage then. Looking like 3-9 month window.

The Redskins' whole season is no longer a feel good story as far as i am concerned.

Griffin probably won't be ready for training camp and it is questionable how well he returns. Just when the future looked the brightest for the Skins some dark clouds are forming over his future.
Bye bye Beal.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#27 » by crackhed » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:10 am

shanahan's decision making there was baffling. poor decision to send him back out after watching him limp back up after the sideline play imho.
also, caught a very brief clip of an earlier rg3 post-practice interview where the subject of throwing the ball away came up - forget the exact context - and rg3's response (paraphrasing) was that he'd rather contemplate retirement b4 he became the type of qb that looked to throw the ball away. hope he reconsiders.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#28 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:28 am

AFM wrote:For the non med students here, how does this affect his performance long term? Peterson made a full recovery, but just tore his ACL, correct?

Peterson tore his ACL and MCL, but AP is a freak of nature. I'm not sure that kind of recovery can be expected, depending on how severe the injury is.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#29 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:29 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

The Redskins' whole season is no longer a feel good story as far as i am concerned.

Griffin probably won't be ready for training camp and it is questionable how well he returns. Just when the future looked the brightest for the Skins some dark clouds are forming over his future.

I agree completely. And it was so easy to avoid. Hell, we could even still be in the playoffs right now.

It was such a no brainer. Cpt Kirk already proved what he could do and just 3 games ago. You could see RG3 was clearly more hurt then he had been since the day he injured it.

So your choices where, Cpt Kirk with a 14 pt lead vs RG3 on one leg and you choose the one legged man ? Should have put Kirk out there and told the doctor that give him a serious look over while Kirk ran the next series. If he keep things rolling, no problems you could stay with him another series and see how RG felt at halftime. You could have even tried RG again after that for a series to give him his fare shake. Then call that running play to the outside. When you saw he couldn't do it, but Cousins back in and tell him, we need you ready for the next game. This is a team. We have this one covered.

Personally, I think Kirk could have managed the game fine with hand offs and role out like they did his last game. Not like the kid is crap. And you spotted him a lead.

Made no sense to me.
jym85
Bench Warmer
And1: 372

Post#30 » by jym85 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:08 am

Damn it
I thought that looked bad when he went down but was hoping nothing was torn

Not even a Redskins fan and I was yelling for them to take him out. You don't do that to the future of the league.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#31 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:42 am

OK...Dr. Andrews will be performing surgery on Robert this morning (7-8AM EST).

Robert will have his ACL and LCL reconstructed.

Apparently, the graft that was used when he tore his ACL previously (2009) has come undone (for lack of a better word).

According to Dr. Andrews the damage isn't as bad as Adrian Petersen's. was when he had his surgery.

Part of the rehab will focus on strengthening the muscles around the knee etc

If all goes well recovery time is 6-8 months.

Barring a setback, he should be ready for the opener.....at least according to the doctors.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#32 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:09 am

RealGM

Post#33 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:44 pm

It's just sports but I did say a prayer for Robert Griffin III.

I prayed that he would have a full recovery and a continued, exciting, professional football career.

His play was something that brought a lot of joy not just to Washington Redskin fans but to fans everywhere. The young man really tries hard to conduct himself the right way and he's been a breath of fresh air into what has been a really stale, stagnant franchise. I don't want the ride to end for him, the players and coaches, management, the owner, or for fans especially in DC.

I hope this goes down as a learning experience for him and the coaches. Cut the machismo and just do your job using some wisdom. Everybody knows he's got heart and he can play. I just hope and pray RG3 comes back strong.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:50 pm

He needs to just be put on the 2013 PUP list right now by default. Light work in training camp, no action in preseason, and inactive for the first 6 games. I don't care what RG3 says about being "ready", he's already proven that he'll say whatever he needs to say to play even if he's injured. The team needs to same him (and the rest of us) from himself.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#35 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:01 pm

I don't mind trusting Cousins for the first half of the season. We're not set to make a huge run until the following season when the cap penalty disappears anyway.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#36 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:13 pm

Having an ACL repair come "undone" is quite uncommon. This is not just another ACL tear. Adrian Peterson js not a valid comparison here. This is a rerupture. Sadly, the kid will likely tear it again quickly if rushed back.

http://sportsmedresearch.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1

The above is for rerupture risk. That has now happened even with low probability. After a second reconstruction, the odds don't look good for Griffin to last very long.

Wish the best for him.
RealGM

Post#37 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:13 pm

LyricalRico wrote:He needs to just be put on the 2013 PUP list right now by default. Light work in training camp, no action in preseason, and inactive for the first 6 games. I don't care what RG3 says about being "ready", he's already proven that he'll say whatever he needs to say to play even if he's injured. The team needs to same him (and the rest of us) from himself.

If this takes 15 months and he returns an explosive athlete but misses next season, so be it. However, I fear the worst.

People are not considering this was Adrian Peterson's first surgery. RG III very likely won't be the same as he was because this was he second procedure. Further, the LCL is new structural damage on top of that.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#38 » by Higga » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:29 pm

Update 10:57: While conducting surgery to repair the torn lateral collateral ligament in Robert Griffin III’s right knee, Dr. James Andrews found that the quarterback’s anterior cruciate ligament is in relatively good condition. But a person with knowledge of the situation said the ligament “needs to be stronger.”

The person said that Griffin’s knee surgery was going well. But it wasn’t immediately clear if the ACL could be repaired, or if it would be completely replaced.

Griffin’s surgery began at 7 a.m., but there was no word on how long the procedure would take to complete.

The Redskins haven’t responded to requests for information on the surgery or the condition of Griffin’s knee, which was determined when he was examined by Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Tuesday.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#39 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:42 pm

He'll be fine. He's still only 22 and will be faster and quicker than most QBs. He just needs to be smarter and more mature about his body.

It'd be wise to hold him out the first quarter of the season.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#40 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 pm

It's not the best case scenario or the worst case scenario. It's somewhere in between. Looks like 6-8 months and a possibility but not a certainty that he starts the season on time.

Return to Washington Wizards