The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. II 

Post#1021 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:39 pm

I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

But aren't we forgetting someone?

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1022 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 pm

Beals 3pt shooting isn't sustainable, but neither are the drek wide open mid range and regular FG shooting numbers that he had for the first few months of the season.

The timidness is going away. His FGA are going up each month, as is scoring. And it's going to help him a lot to have Wall back and suck in defenses, because right now spacing is terrible.
fishnc
Assistant Coach
And1: 449

Post#1023 » by fishnc » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:58 pm

boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

John Henson. This kid has been getting inconsistent minutes, but in the times he got to play a bit more extended minutes he's been straight up dominating the box-score and rebounding the living crap out of the ball.

He's in a messed up situation in terms of minutes in Milwaukee, but whenever this kid plays he leaves his mark on the game it seems.

Sometimes I forget the Bucks are even in the league to be honest. They get absolutely zero coverage outside of Milwaukee.
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#1024 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:07 pm

Granted I haven't really seen him that much hence why I said words like box-score and 'it seems' as I don't feel eligible to pass proper judgement and analyze how he played - so I'd love to get a thought by some Bucks fan.

In the times I did see him he dominated offensive rebounds and finished nicely, but took to many outside shots and did some rookie mistakes trying to do too much - nonetheless though his presence was immediately felt. He's just so long.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#1025 » by kurtis48239 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:48 pm

boogie-reke wrote:I know we're Drummond this Drummond that, Anthony Davis this Anthony Davis that.

Yea i like him,if we didnt get dre then him and zeller were my 2nd options
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#1026 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:53 pm

He's only playing 12 minutes a night right now and half the overall minutes the other 2 did - but look at these per 36 numbers :

16.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 blocks - 49% from the field

15.8 points, 12.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.9 blocks - 48% from the field

Player 1 is Anthony Davis, player 2 is John Henson.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1027 » by Halcyon » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:00 pm

Using per36 is kind of silly for a player who only plays 12 mpg. Davis gets those numbers against mostly starters, while Henson probably doesn't. Davis is also 3 years younger, with a higher TS%.
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#1028 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:04 pm

I haven't said he's better and mentioned the minutes part in my post aswell, just saying that he's making an impact whenever he plays in the few times I seen him and it's backed up by numbers who even with the minutes in mind are very impressive - so it's interesting no one is talking about him (including his own fans)
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1029 » by Halcyon » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:10 pm

I just think he's gotten as much attention as he deserves, which shouldn't be that much. Play more than 12 mpg at that kind of rate and I think he will get any respect and attention that he is due. Guys like Lillard, Davis and Drummond deserve the praise they get for performing very well over a longer course of the game.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#1030 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:58 pm

Halcyon wrote:I just think he's gotten as much attention as he deserves, which shouldn't be that much. Play more than 12 mpg at that kind of rate and I think he will get any respect and attention that he is due. Guys like Lillard, Davis and Drummond deserve the praise they get for performing very well over a longer course of the game.

Although he's obviously going to be a good player (and I think eventually the best C of this draft), I don't think you can say that about Drummond. At 19.8 mpg he simply isn't in the same "sustainable" min played catagory of Lillard (38.1), Beal (31.3), Waiters (30.9) and Davis (30.7)
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1031 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:45 pm

no we aren't forgetting about him. Milwaukee is forgetting about him. i think the kid will become a decent role player but don't see him dominating any front court. He has the potential to be a Rasheed type player though
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#1032 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 am

It should be a rule that a player has to play atleast 20-23 minutes a night before someone makes Per 36 comparisons.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 613

Post#1033 » by bballcool34 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 am

Henson has played well when given minutes, he will be a good player in this league.
Damn
j_angel
Analyst
And1: 366

Post#1034 » by j_angel » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 am

Sullinger is, so far, the third best big of the draft, after only Davis & Drummond.
He is outperforming TRob, Leonard, Zeller etc.

Should have gone at around 10-14 in the draft.
IMO there are only 8 rookies better than him currently, and some of them are arguable.
King Of The 4th
Head Coach
And1: 7,256

Post#1035 » by King Of The 4th » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 am

Sullinger with 12 points and a career high 16 boards tonight against the Suns. He has been giving opposing frontcourts fits off the bench and continues to be our best rebounding big as a rookie.
MetalFingaz wrote:Clearly he was trying to go off the backboard to the ghost of Rik Smits, but he forget Rik was still alive and that ghosts can't dunk.

KDBG wrote:I want to kill Jamal Crawford. Murder his 80 year old a$$. But he is probably a cool guy in real life.
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 613

Post#1036 » by bballcool34 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 am

Sullinger, provided he stays healthy, is going to be a very good player in this league for a long time, is just so solid and smart out there.
Damn
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#1037 » by Shem » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 am

LeBron James on Lillard:

"I think he's Rookie of the Year. He's exceeded all expectations and more. He will become great -- he's one of the good point guards we have in our league today. They continue to come, our league is full of really good point guards and he's one of them."

"How under control he is. It's like he's been here before. He's never out of his comfort zone. He's never fast, he's never too slow, he plays in his lane. His ability to shoot the ball, drive the ball, makes him a threat."

Eric Spoelstra on Lillard:

Asked for his MVP vote, Lillard went first to his teammate. "I'd probably vote for L.A. If it's other players [outside Portland], if not L.A., I'd probably say LeBron [James] because of everything he brings to the table. I think he's the most dominant player in the league."

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/1/9/385 ... an-lillard?
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#1038 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 am

Sully impressed me tonight, I think he will have a great career as a 6th man. The kid has a knack for the boards. Celtics hit a home run with that pick.

Whats going on with Austin Rivers? He has a total of 9 points combined in the last 6 games and is shooting below 17% from the field, ouch.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#1039 » by Optms » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 am

Rivers has looked even worse than even the most pessimistic nay sayers thought he would. In short, he sucks balls.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,829

Post#1040 » by Mk0 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 am

The quote about Lillard should have been for Rivers. If his pops wasn't Doc he would have been lucky to be drafted in the 2nd round.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel

Return to The General Board