The "Built Around Him" Excuse

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Tien
Banned User
And1: 51

Re: The "Built Around Him" Excuse 

Post#21 » by Tien » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:30 pm

38 / 8 / 8

If you can't win a series averaging that, blame your crap team.
GeneralNbaFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#22 » by GeneralNbaFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:28 pm

KING CB4 wrote:I see this line brought up a lot when people try defending LeBron's Cavalier teammates. Certain people feel that because LeBron was surrounded by shooters in Cleveland, it cancelled out their severe lack of star talent aside form LeBron. Whats the point of having the "team built around you" when your opponent in every playoff series has the next 3-4 best players after LeBron? Doesn't the fact LeBron won a title and went to two Finals with Wade, put the "built around him" excuse to bed? I never really understood the arguement....

What exactly dont you understand? Do you think a team with 5 players who needs the ball in their hands to be effectiv is a good fit?
Of course not! But I am talking about players who have the same talent.
But its clear that you would rather have a guy who doesnt fit ( like Wade) than a guy who fits ( like JJ Redick) because the talent gap is too big!
Conclusion: At first you look at talent and then on fitting!
B2Bhoops
Senior
And1: 83

Post#23 » by B2Bhoops » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:54 pm

It's called the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. Happens all the time in sport and in life.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#24 » by No Offense » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:20 pm

B2Bhoops wrote:It's called the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. Happens all the time in sport and in life.

See: 2011 finals.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#25 » by Deus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:30 pm

The 07-08 Mavericks won 67 games (or something like that) and lost to the GS Warriors in the first round.

The regular season means nothing.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#26 » by Golabki » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:36 pm

Dutuctive Depp wrote:^ hedo and Lewis outplayed everyone on the cavs bar lebron quite handily jb. Wallace come back from a broken leg and even pietrus played better than mo. He out scored our entire bench practically every game. Rashard was amazing.

The series wasnt that long ago and you know this, you're just saying false things to cater to your agenda.

Edit - Boston wasn't legit contenders? They took LA to the final minute of game 7. Not sure what you think a contender is? I guess OKC wasn't a contender last season?

As you point out, Boston was obviously a contender, since they were literally minutes away from winning...

However, they were not a "great" team. I think the 09, 10, 11 were fairly weak years without a dominate team in either conference. The '08 Celtics were dominant, but KG was hurt in '09 and they were too old in '10. '12 Heat were dominant, but not ready in '11. I think the Lakers and Mavs both got a bit lucky (in terms of peaking while the rest of the league was a bit soft)....

So, I think that saying there was a window of opportunity missed for the Cavs in '09, '10 is pretty valid.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#27 » by Nowitness » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:41 pm

Deus wrote:The 07-08 Mavericks won 67 games (or something like that) and lost to the GS Warriors in the first round.

The regular season means nothing.

06-07, but yeah, in the end, the regular season is for getting guys game-set, and getting a good playoff spot. The playoffs always has revealed great team's biggest faults. GS had a better bench and faster pace than the Mavs in 07, and I think Nellie even knew some of if not most of the plays the Mavs would run.

I still don't know how those Cavs teams did so well, Lebron played amazingly, but on paper, some of the benches they had through 06-10 were just awful, especially in 07, when they ended up in the Finals.
Nowitnessing a legend
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#28 » by druggas » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:47 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:He definitely showed some quit in him during the playoffs, that roster wasn't adequate to win a ring but we all saw what happened.
RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#29 » by RatherUnique » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:54 pm

Supporting cast wasn't garbage. The issue was, as OP noted, you take away Lebron, the next best 2-3 players were on Orlando/Boston. THAT is an issue. With Wade & Bosh, that isn't an issue anymore.

In the '09 ECFs, after Lebron, the next best players in the series were Howard, Lewis, & Hedo. None of those guys played for the Cavs. Howard & Lewis went buckwild on that Cleveland frontline.

In the '10 Semis, Rondo & KG were dominant in that series. Nobody on the Cavs outside of Lebron matched their impact.

He needed a significant upgrade in his supporting cast, bottomline.
Ikcelaks
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#30 » by Ikcelaks » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:10 am

I still don't know how those Cavs teams did so well, Lebron played amazingly, but on paper, some of the benches they had through 06-10 were just awful, especially in 07, when they ended up in the Finals.

1) The East was bad.

2) LeBron had an absolutely amazing ability to turn players with very limited offensive skills into useful pieces. When the Cavs were riding LeBron hard (in another word: always), he assumed essentially all of the playmaking responsibilities.
KING CB4
Bench Warmer
And1: 34

Post#31 » by KING CB4 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:23 am

No Offense wrote:
B2Bhoops wrote:It's called the whole being more than the sum of it's parts. Happens all the time in sport and in life.

See: 2011 finals.

The 2011 Mavs have a great coach and role players that could hit shots in the clutch. Terry, Kidd, Barea, etc. How many times do you remember LeBron's teammates coming through in the clutch? Boobie Gibson in 07, Delonte West in the wizards series, and Jamario Moon hitting like 6 threes are the only ones that come to mind right now.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#32 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:27 am

Golabki wrote:
Dutuctive Depp wrote:^ hedo and Lewis outplayed everyone on the cavs bar lebron quite handily jb. Wallace come back from a broken leg and even pietrus played better than mo. He out scored our entire bench practically every game. Rashard was amazing.

The series wasnt that long ago and you know this, you're just saying false things to cater to your agenda.

Edit - Boston wasn't legit contenders? They took LA to the final minute of game 7. Not sure what you think a contender is? I guess OKC wasn't a contender last season?

As you point out, Boston was obviously a contender, since they were literally minutes away from winning...

However, they were not a "great" team. I think the 09, 10, 11 were fairly weak years without a dominate team in either conference. The '08 Celtics were dominant, but KG was hurt in '09 and they were too old in '10. '12 Heat were dominant, but not ready in '11. I think the Lakers and Mavs both got a bit lucky (in terms of peaking while the rest of the league was a bit soft)....

So, I think that saying there was a window of opportunity missed for the Cavs in '09, '10 is pretty valid.

I agree but that wasnt what he was saying.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#33 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:54 am

A team well built around it's star is the difference between the 05-06 Lakers and LBJ's cavs. Granted, LeBron is more unselfish and better at making guys around him better, but ultimately a team has to fit together. A bunch of talent that doesn't fit together won't get much done.

Fit was one of the reasons the 03-04 pistons beat the lakers in the finals that year.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#34 » by Golabki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:22 pm

MrBigShot wrote:A team well built around it's star is the difference between the 05-06 Lakers and LBJ's cavs. Granted, LeBron is more unselfish and better at making guys around him better, but ultimately a team has to fit together. A bunch of talent that doesn't fit together won't get much done.

Fit was one of the reasons the 03-04 pistons beat the lakers in the finals that year.
05-06 Lakers? I think they are similar to LBJ's cavs.

Both teams had a star, one very good complimentary player (Odom/Varajao) and a bunch of trash that would be fringe NBA players or done in 2 years.

Return to The General Board