Top 5 PG prospects for 2013

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Top 5 PG prospects for 2013 

Post#1 » by Golabki » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:30 pm

I think they is a great year for PGs. Here's how I rank them now.

1. Burke - great looking pure point
2. Smart - highest defensive potential, with his developing offensive game
3. Young - combo-guard with upside
4. Carter-Williams - a couple years older than the top 3, but has a unique skill set
5. Jackson - quality PG, but probably a reserve in NBA
6. McCollom - interesting prospect, but I don't see him as top 5, a bit overrated IMO

I think the top 3 are all lotto level and CW is mid/late first.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Top 5 PG prospects for 2013 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:24 pm

IMO...

1. Marcus Smart
2. Trey Burke
3. Phil Pressey
4. Michael Carter-Williams
5. CJ McCollum
6. Isaiah Canaan
7. Leo Westermann
8. Myck Kabongo
9. Deonte Burton
10. Lorenzo Brown
Golabki
General Manager

Post#3 » by Golabki » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:55 pm

Cammo101 wrote:IMO...

1. Marcus Smart
2. Trey Burke
3. Phil Pressey
4. Michael Carter-Williams
5. CJ McCollum
6. Isaiah Canaan
7. Leo Westermann
8. Myck Kabongo
9. Deonte Burton
10. Lorenzo Brown
I wouldn't argue against Smart at #1. I think the top two are very good.

I like Pressey as a second rounder drafted to be a bench player, but I don't think he'll be an average NBA starting PG.

Where's BJ Young? I are you considering him a SG? If so, I think that's fair, he's probably most likely to end up at SG, although it will depend on who drafts him.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:59 pm

1. Marcus Smart - more of a combo
2. Michael Carter-Williams - good size, pure point.
3. CJ McCollum - more of a combo
4. Trey Burke - a little under-sized

Those four are in a tier above IMO but none are great prospects or favored to go in the top-10
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#5 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:38 am

I think BJ Young is a SG and not likely to end up in this draft.

I also think Pressey will be an NBA starter. He is a stud.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:06 am

I love Pressey - he may be my favorite college player to watch - but... I agree with Golabki that the best way to use him in the NBA is off the bench - where he could wear out the opposition for short stretches with his speed and relentless play - and his lack of size won't be the issue it'd be if he was playing 35 minutes a game. He's a rare player that even though I project him as a backup, I'd put him in the top 25 picks.

What do people think about the 2 UConn hybrids - Napier and Boatright. Napier kinda reminds me of Lou Williams - with his shot selection and ability to score. Boatright reminds me of a poor man's Iverson - with his cockiness and willingness to take it to the rack no matter how you defend him. Despite their lack of discipline, I think they've really benefited from Kevin Ollie coming in there to settle them down and play in a more team-oriented manner.

And what about the 2 little guards on Louisville - Peyton Siva and Russ Smith? I'd hate to play against them - they are as pesky a pair of guards as I've seen - but are they big enough and skilled enough to play in the NBA? My gut tells me Smith belongs in the NBA - as he's an electric ball defender, but Siva's really playing the point in their offense, and Smith's not a good shooter.

Brandon Young is another PG to consider - not flashy at all but very solid for DePaul.

Top 5 as of now?

1. Burke (easy choice)
2. Smart (easy choice)
3. CJ McCollum (harder choice)
4. Phil Pressey
5. Michael Carter Williams
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Golabki
General Manager

Post#7 » by Golabki » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:I love Pressey - he may be my favorite college player to watch - but... I agree with Golabki that the best way to use him in the NBA is off the bench - where he could wear out the opposition for short stretches with his speed and relentless play - and his lack of size won't be the issue it'd be if he was playing 35 minutes a game. He's a rare player that even though I project him as a backup, I'd put him in the top 25 picks.

What do people think about the 2 UConn hybrids - Napier and Boatright. Napier kinda reminds me of Lou Williams - with his shot selection and ability to score. Boatright reminds me of a poor man's Iverson - with his cockiness and willingness to take it to the rack no matter how you defend him. Despite their lack of discipline, I think they've really benefited from Kevin Ollie coming in there to settle them down and play in a more team-oriented manner.

And what about the 2 little guards on Louisville - Peyton Siva and Russ Smith? I'd hate to play against them - they are as pesky a pair of guards as I've seen - but are they big enough and skilled enough to play in the NBA? My gut tells me Smith belongs in the NBA - as he's an electric ball defender, but Siva's really playing the point in their offense, and Smith's not a good shooter.

Brandon Young is another PG to consider - not flashy at all but very solid for DePaul.

Top 5 as of now?

1. Burke (easy choice)
2. Smart (easy choice)
3. CJ McCollum (harder choice)
4. Phil Pressey
5. Michael Carter Williams
I like Napier a lot as a second rounder. I think he can be an elite defensive PG with adequate offensive game. I think he'll be a great back-up PG who can come in and be a disruptive 1-man press for 15 minutes a game.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#8 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:32 pm

Golabki wrote:I think they is a great year for PGs. Here's how I rank them now.

1. Burke - great looking pure point
2. Smart - highest defensive potential, with his developing offensive game
3. Young - combo-guard with upside
4. Carter-Williams - a couple years older than the top 3, but has a unique skill set
5. Jackson - quality PG, but probably a reserve in NBA
6. McCollom - interesting prospect, but I don't see him as top 5, a bit overrated IMO

I think the top 3 are all lotto level and CW is mid/late first.

MCW will be the first pg picked.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#9 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:17 pm

Golabki wrote:I think they is a great year for PGs.

I'm assuming you said "I think this is a great year for PGs" in which I couldn't disagree more. I don't think there has been a great PG draft since 2009. It's been John Wall-Kyrie Irving-Damian Lillard and a bunch of mediocre prospects the past couple drafts and this year we can take out the headliner and keep the mediocre prospects part.

Like I said earlier, none of these guys are bona fide top-10 picks right now and each has his significant weaknesses.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:48 pm

[RCG] wrote:
Golabki wrote:I think they is a great year for PGs.

I'm assuming you said "I think this is a great year for PGs" in which I couldn't disagree more. I don't think there has been a great PG draft since 2009. It's been John Wall-Kyrie Irving-Damian Lillard and a bunch of mediocre prospects the past couple drafts and this year we can take out the headliner and keep the mediocre prospects part.

Like I said earlier, none of these guys are bona fide top-10 picks right now and each has his significant weaknesses.

If Burke and Smart get picked out of the top 10, they will be outright steals, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#11 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:55 pm

They shouldn't be picked ahead of:

1. Zeller
2. Noel
3. Muhammad
4. McLemore
5. Bennett
6. Porter
7. Goodwin
8. Poythress
9. Len

I could see Austin, Gobert and Mitchell also going ahead of the first PG taken as well.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#12 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 am

As it stands as of a couple days ago:
Chance of taking a PG: HIGH MEDIUM LOW

1. Wizards: John Wall - obvious
2. Cavaliers: Kyrie Irving - obvious
3. Hornets: Greivis Vasquez - could upgrade but PG here would be a reach
4. Bobcats: Kemba Walker - Sessions too, other more pressing needs
5. Pistons: Brandon Knight - Serviceable, PG here would be a reach
6. Suns: Goran Dragic - Serviceable, other more pressing needs
7. Kings: Isaiah Thomas - Could upgrade, though SF is a more pressing need
8. Thunder: Russell Westbrook - obvious
9. Magic: Jameer Nelson - Youth movement, first PG could be taken by Magic
10. Mavericks: Darren Collison - could upgrade here, but might want a young big
11. Celtics: Rajon Rondo - obvious
12. Lakers: Steve Nash - could opt for a young big or someone for when Nash retires
13. Jazz: Mo Williams - could be 2nd PG taken here
14. Timberwolves: Ricky Rubio - obvious
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#13 » by princeofpalace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:45 am

I could see Detroit drafting a big PG like MCW or Marcus Smart, we could move Knight off the ball. I think Detroit goes with a PG or SG in the draft.

But to answer the question, my top 5 PG prospects in this weak PG draft are

1. Micheal Carter Williams
2. Marcus Smart
3. Trey Burke
4. Phil Pressey
5. CJ McCollum
crgreen
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#14 » by crgreen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 am

You know, the #1 scorer in Division 1 is a 6'3 PG from the ACC, aveeragine almost 25 pts a game, 5 rebs and 5 assissts, 1.6 steals, a 2:1 ATR, 49% from the field and 87% from the line....and has a decimated roster at 9-5 on the season.

Erick Green of Virginia Tech. I guess if he was doing this at Weber State he'd be the #1 PG prospect, but when you play in the lowly ACC, hard to get noticed :)
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#15 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 am

crgreen wrote:You know, the #1 scorer in Division 1 is a 6'3 PG from the ACC, aveeragine almost 25 pts a game, 5 rebs and 5 assissts, 1.6 steals, a 2:1 ATR, 49% from the field and 87% from the line....and has a decimated roster at 9-5 on the season.

Erick Green of Virginia Tech. I guess if he was doing this at Weber State he'd be the #1 PG prospect, but when you play in the lowly ACC, hard to get noticed :)

Are you related by chance?

I'm not sure he is a pure point and as a senior with lackluster production the previous three years he'll have to maintain this production throughout the year. He's putting up great numbers though, especially the amount of times he's getting to the line per game. If he can raise his assist totals a bit he could be in the discussion for one of the first PGs taken by the end of the year.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#16 » by Golabki » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 am

[RCG] wrote:As it stands as of a couple days ago:

12. Lakers: Steve Nash - could opt for a young big or someone for when Nash retires

My point isn't really that they'll go high, my point is that Smart/Burke/Young are top 10 talents (IMO) who could easily slip into the 20s. I think this is where the value picks are going to be in this draft.
Golabki
General Manager

Post#17 » by Golabki » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 am

crgreen wrote:You know, the #1 scorer in Division 1 is a 6'3 PG from the ACC, aveeragine almost 25 pts a game, 5 rebs and 5 assissts, 1.6 steals, a 2:1 ATR, 49% from the field and 87% from the line....and has a decimated roster at 9-5 on the season.

He's an undersized combo-guard who isn't a particularly good defender and who took 4 years to become a major scorer... But as RCG says, if he's scoring 25 a night in tourney time he'll get more attention.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,093

Post#18 » by Frank Lee » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:02 pm

[RCG] wrote:As it stands as of a couple days ago:

If the fLakers have pick #12... it goes to Phnx. I wouldnt be surprised if they picked Marcus Smart, just as the BPA. Good PGs retain their value to the league. Marshall was a whiff.
What ? Me Worry ?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:39 pm

[RCG] wrote:

Are you related by chance?

I'm not sure he is a pure point and as a senior with lackluster production the previous three years he'll have to maintain this production throughout the year. He's putting up great numbers though, especially the amount of times he's getting to the line per game. If he can raise his assist totals a bit he could be in the discussion for one of the first PGs taken by the end of the year.

This is one thing can agree with you on. I saw VA Tech play on Saturday, and I just can't picture Green fitting in the NBA. He's not anywhere near strong enough to play the 2, and he is simply not a point guard - and lacks the athleticism to play it. He put up good numbers in his junior year, but it's a red flag when there's dramatic improvement as a senior and the player was never considered a legit prospect before then. But it's great for VA Tech fans.

Return to NBA Draft