ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: visiting California..

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Rockets05
Sophomore
And1: 2

OT: visiting California.. 

Post#1 » by Rockets05 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:53 am

Seeing that there isnt really that many OT topics in this forum, I'm a bit nervous to make this post. But I just want the opinion of you locals. I'm visiting California from NYC for the first time. I want to check out LA and take some pictures and stuff. Can you guys please recommend some cool picture taking worthy spots? Also the best bars? or spots I need to hit up? Not necessarily LA, I'll be staying in Costa Mesa. Sorry, a little touristy here, i don't mind it lol. I have a question! I see local celebrities posting pictures of them sitting on a cliff or something and the background showcase your skyline or just a really cool view in the back. Where can I go to take those kinds of pictures? Thanks in advanced guys!
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Re: OT: visiting California.. 

Post#2 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:35 am

Simplest would be travel to Hollywood... do the Walk of Fame and handprints. You should eat at Pinks hot dogs. You could easily do that in a afternoon. Universal City Walk is close to Hollywood.
Costa Mesa is about 15 mins from Disneyland. If you head to Huntington Beach or Newport Beach they have lots of bars with young people at night. Those are in Orange County.
Venice beach might be neat but a little bit of a drive. Also try to go to the Getty Museum, the have world famous art.
You could double or triple up most of these in a day. Hope that helps
cbrown32
Junior

Post#3 » by cbrown32 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:44 am

^That's like the most typical, boring stuff to do in LA.

I'd say go to Venice Beach, Santa Monica pier, Hollywood sign (not sure exactly where but google it - you can hike around there), LA Live would be cool on a game night...lots of good restaurants.

Newport and Huntington are good to go out and day drink on the weekends. I guess you have to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame but in all reality it sucks...dirty, grimy people everywhere, no good shopping...but it's a spectacle.

My fiance just did the Warner Bros studio tour and loved it. For those cliff pics try to do some more research on beaches around Laguna, there are some really nice places around there.

Use YELP!
LA_Sports
Junior

Post#4 » by LA_Sports » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:55 am

Rockets05 wrote:I see local celebrities posting pictures of them sitting on a cliff or something and the background showcase your skyline or just a really cool view in the back. Where can I go to take those kinds of pictures? Thanks in advanced guys!

If you want picture like that go to Laguna Beach. That would make great photos and lots of celebrities live there (even Kobe). Lol Best bet is buy a guide book though and plan it out.

You might like going to Westwood and visit UCLA. That is great for pictures. They also have all of the old really famous movie cinemas about a block away.
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#5 » by Imadogg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:20 am

cbrown32 wrote:^That's like the most typical, boring stuff to do in LA.

If it's his first time he should do the typical boring stuff first
TheMidnightSun
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#6 » by TheMidnightSun » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:47 pm

check out amoeba music in hollywood, they sell movies used and new cds, cassettes, and records, your hipster freinds in williamsburg would definitely appreciate those cool used records
dockingsched wrote:so glad cp3 took the timeout, couldn't take seeing the lakers scored on 4 on 5.
ManuteBol69
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#7 » by ManuteBol69 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:56 pm

check out The Grove, 3rd st promenade Beverly center. All three around the Santa Monica Area. Big negative thing about L.A is that you have to drive everywhere compared to New York where a lot of places are a Subway ride away
Desiderium
Veteran
And1: 644

Post#8 » by Desiderium » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:47 pm

I'd say go to Venice Beach, Santa Monica pier, Hollywood sign (not sure exactly where but google it - you can hike around there), LA Live would be cool on a game night...lots of good restaurants.

Newport and Huntington are good to go out and day drink on the weekends. I guess you have to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame but in all reality it sucks...dirty, grimy people everywhere, no good shopping...but it's a spectacle.

My fiance just did the Warner Bros studio tour and loved it. For those cliff pics try to do some more research on beaches around Laguna, there are some really nice places around there.

Use YELP!

you pretty much suggested everything he suggested? lol
cbrown32
Junior

Post#9 » by cbrown32 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:58 pm

Desiderium wrote:

Use YELP!

you pretty much suggested everything he suggested? lol

I meant stay away from Universal City and D-Land...and probably the Getty too. Being from NY I'm sure he can see much better museums out there.

Imadogg wrote:

If it's his first time he should do the typical boring stuff first

Disagree 100%...if you have locals telling you what you really don't need to see, you should skip the typical boring stuff altogether.
Imadogg
Banned User

Post#10 » by Imadogg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:12 pm

Well I mean it's boring for us but people not from here who enjoy seeing new things/taking pics (OP posted about being touristy and taking pics of skylines) should go see the walk of fame and everything. If he was asking for the best hangout spots only then he wouldn't need to see the handprints and all
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#11 » by Slava » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:33 pm

Even for a first timer to NYC, I'd strongly advise avoiding the trip to Statue of Liberty and Empire state building. Just takes up an entire day waiting in the lines. Instead you could have much more fun just hanging around Little Italy or something like that.

So touristy is ok but you also need to conserve time when visiting a large city like NY or LA.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am

Some more out of the way places.
Huntington Library/Botanical Gardens...
Then take a drive up Angeles Crest.
Grab a bite to eat on Olvera Street or across at Philippes then drive through downtown to Staples/Convention Center...

Definitely do the Santa Monica Pier too... That way you can mark off the beach even if it's not the nicest day, while sticking around LA...

If you want to travel, head up PCH to Malibu... Beautiful drive, but it takes a while.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LA_Sports
Junior

Post#13 » by LA_Sports » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am

Haha I love how even a simple thing of what a tourist should do in LA becomes a debate on this board. :) It all depends on how much time he is spending out here. I wouldn't got to certain places but that's because I have been a thousand times. However if I was from New York and I came out here I would want to do all of the stuff you constantly see in the movies, because that's what everyone at home will ask him if he saw. Let's face it most of that stuff can be done pretty quick anyways.

I didn't think he wanted to spend his whole trip bar hoping (it's not Vegas).

I just wonder if he realizes it is like a 40 min drive from Costa Mesa to LA.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#14 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 am

i got your day planned right here:

breakfast - roscoe's chicken and waffles

lunch - in n out

dinner - kogi bbq truck

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 am

Day two:

breakfast/lunch - Phillipe's

dinner - Village pizzeria

late night snack - LA dirty dog

"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Imadogg
Banned User

Post#16 » by Imadogg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:47 am

Can we merge some of these threads and sticky them?
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#17 » by iamworthy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 am

Listen to Doc.
Rockets05
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Rockets05 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 am

Lol sorry forgot to mention, i'm staying 4 days. Thanks a lot guys, im writing these down! I also need recommendations on bars! Of course i wont spend my entire days doing touristy stuff, hang out spots at night? bars? rooftop bars? Yes i am amare LA is 45 mins away from Costa Mesa. Oh im also going to the laker/thunder game!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by dockingsched » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 am

45 min?

more like an 1 hr - 1:15

oh, and like someone mentioned, yelp.com is your friend.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#20 » by EArl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:57 am

If you eat what Doc tells you you might just get a heart attack on the way back home.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to Los Angeles Lakers