BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,744

Re: BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways 

Post#361 » by Treebeard » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:13 pm

kebzach wrote:
DrugBust wrote:If you're looking for the definitive national media piece on this team, Zach Lowe at Grantland nails it.

Nails it and then some. The headline says it all. And props to Zach Lowe for calling Jennings as he really is.

No kidding. That is hands down the best assessment of the Bucks by a national media guy that I've seen in quite a long time.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#362 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:30 pm

Great piece you posted DB, that guy knows the Bucks. Everything was pretty much spot on.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#363 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am

DrugBust wrote:If you're looking for the definitive national media piece on this team, Zach Lowe at Grantland nails it.

I just read that on Grantland and came here to see if it was posted. Good piece.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#364 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 am

I didn't get to talk to him much unfortunately since I had another resident to deal with when he stopped in, but the impression i got sounds like Henson is happy Skiles is gone.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#365 » by europa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:I didn't get to talk to him much unfortunately since I had another resident to deal with when he stopped in, but the impression i got sounds like Henson is happy Skiles is gone.

Other than Jennings it doesn't sound like anyone was disappointed to see Skiles go. I thought Moute's comments were very interesting. Talked about respecting Skiles but made it clear the two had plenty of issues. And it's not like Moute's a problem guy by any stretch. He's also someone you would think fits right into Skiles' wheelhouse as a player so if he struggled to get along with Skiles I think it says a lot about Skiles as a head coach.
Nothing will not break me.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#366 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm

I see Boylan was on the Bill Michaels Show today. Was Skiles ever on a local radio show? I honestly don't know, lol. It may be good for the team to get a more media friendly voice to get more coverage.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#367 » by emunney » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:56 pm

europa wrote:
Kohl Is A Mome wrote:I didn't get to talk to him much unfortunately since I had another resident to deal with when he stopped in, but the impression i got sounds like Henson is happy Skiles is gone.

Other than Jennings it doesn't sound like anyone was disappointed to see Skiles go. I thought Moute's comments were very interesting. Talked about respecting Skiles but made it clear the two had plenty of issues. And it's not like Moute's a problem guy by any stretch. He's also someone you would think fits right into Skiles' wheelhouse as a player so if he struggled to get along with Skiles I think it says a lot about Skiles as a head coach.

Definitely raised my eyebrows to see Moute's reaction. Skiles leaned on him from day 1. You'd think that if anybody would have supported him other than Jennings, it'd be him. Of course, Moute is also friends with Bogut.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,844

Post#368 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm

What comments from LRMAM?
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,943

Post#369 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Comments:

Larry Sanders on his reaction: "It's a change. Everyone tells me in my career, expect to have multiple coaches in situations like this. So I was kind of prepared for it. I wasn't sure how long he was going to be here this year -- I knew he was on the last leg of his contract. So everything was kind of up in the air. We'll see how the team responds tonight, if it gives us a boost or if there's other things we need to adjust. I think it's good, though. Change is good sometimes."

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute on reports Skiles wasn't getting along with some players: "He gave me an opportunity. We didn't have the greatest relationship, but we had a good relationship. I have respect for him and I'm sure he has respect for me. I've been here since he's been here, so we have mutual respect for each other. There was friction, but even in families you have friction. You still have to live with your brothers or whatever. I've seen it, but every team has that. Now you're talking about the Lakers, who are going through that stuff. Every time a team isn't playing well, stuff like that is going to come up."

Henson: "It's interesting. Being with Coach Williams (at North Carolina), you don't think he's going to leave. And if he does, it's going to be on his own terms. So it's interesting, but I guess that's the NBA. I was a little surprised, but that's change. He gave me a chance early on to play, and that's really all you can ask for as a young guy, so I wish nothing but the best for him and I'm sure at some point in my career we'll meet somewhere down the road again."
Fed
Junior
And1: 424

Post#370 » by Fed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am

Boylan isn't even doing that atrociously, but that usually happens when an interim coach comes in anyways. Skiles wasn't an AWFUL coach, but was certainly lackluster and I'm glad he's gone. Wish him the best though.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,895

Post#371 » by theFireBlanket » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 am

emunney wrote:
europa wrote:

Definitely raised my eyebrows to see Moute's reaction. Skiles leaned on him from day 1. You'd think that if anybody would have supported him other than Jennings, it'd be him. Of course, Moute is also friends with Bogut.

I've always thought there was seemed to be some differenc in opinion between those two based on Luc's body language, expression, reactions during games. The Bogut connection makes sense too.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#372 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Gery is all in now. Feels even more confident the Bucks will make the ECF with Skiles gone.

Loves the backcourt. When they get it going, they are as good as any backcourt in the league.

http://podcast.sportsradio1250.com/wssp2/3813432.mp3
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#373 » by KidA24 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote: When they get it going, they are as good as any backcourt in the league.

Really? Isn't that true about any backcourt in the league? Sigh. I like Gery, he's one of the few guys who will say ANYTHING bad about the Bucks direction, but his personal vendetta against Skiles is just hilarious.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#374 » by emunney » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Gery is all in now. Feels even more confident the Bucks will make the ECF with Skiles gone.

Loves the backcourt. When they get it going, they are as good as any backcourt in the league.

That's pretty funny. I assume he thinks Ersan turns into Havlicek now, too.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#375 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 pm

LOL at Woelfel.

The chances of Jennings/Ellis being on fire in 8 of 14 games (or better) are so slim. What would be the odds on that? 5%? And that's the only way they make the ECF.

This team isn't built for the playoffs. Very poor offensive team in the halfcourt.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#376 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Great read:

http://www.brewhoop.com/2013/1/10/38575 ... iles-bucks

The Milwaukee Bucks organization and head coach Jim Boylan undoubtedly share the dream of contending for an NBA championship, but if that scenario ever comes to pass they won't share the experience. Let's call it what it is: Boylan is an interim coach. Sure, general manager John Hammond confidently declared that Skiles' lead assistant is not an interim coach and that he will coach the team for the balance of the 2012-13 NBA season, but isn't that the basic definition of an interim coach?

An assistant promoted in the wake of a messy breakup is almost always a temporary solution; a fleeting remnant of the previous regime that sticks with the organization to provide some baseline level of continuity while the front office prepares to clean up the situation at a later date. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- I think Boylan deserves his chance as long as the Bucks aren't ready to sign anyone to a long-term deal -- but the way things ended with Skiles it's pretty clear that the Bucks were looking for (a) the coach who already understood the limitations of the roster and (b) someone not named Scott Skiles.

I can confidently say that Jim Boylan is not named Scott Skiles, which satisfies one requirement, but after almost eight seasons as the lead assistant for Skiles it remains to be seen how different he will be in the actual practice of coaching the team.

I don't expect much to change for the players, but in a way this will be a test for the surly fans who consistently offered up criticisms of Skiles. Here's your chance to prove you meant what you said. To me, the hyper-criticisms of Skiles mostly express misdirected anger of discontented fans.

A better mix of top-end talent and more consistent performers would have solved many of the rotational issues noted by Bucks faithful, but it's hard to root for better players and easier to root against a coach. If Skiles has stubbornly stunted the development of a budding contender, I've never heard that stated directly. Most people generally accept that .500 talent gets you a .500 team, and nobody has been bold enough to argue (at least using a consistent logical approach) that Skiles had cost the Bucks games in the aggregrate. In any case, now is the time for every Skiles detractor to prove that they meant what they said.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,943

Post#377 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Most people generally accept that .500 talent gets you a .500 team, and nobody has been bold enough to argue (at least using a consistent logical approach) that Skiles had cost the Bucks games in the aggregrate.

Then what the **** is the point of your article?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#378 » by crkone » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

It wasn't that Skiles was a bad coach. He just wasn't giving a fair shot to everyone on the roster. He would let certain players play through terrible decisions and sit others after one mistake. Instead of coaching them up during the time out or foul shots, he would yank them for the rest of the half/game. One example was he let Daniels get lit up by Melo because he looked better at it then Tobes did. A terrible shot on offense is okay but a lazy rotation on defense is a criminal offense. I don't know, maybe I was being too hard on Skiles. His way of teaching is you get one chance if you're young and if you f up you are out. From my experience in teaching people in life, that is a terrible way to teach but I'm not a basketball coach.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#379 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:38 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Great read:

http://www.brewhoop.com/2013/1/10/38575 ... iles-bucks

but the way things ended with Skiles it's pretty clear that the Bucks were looking for (a) the coach who already understood the limitations of the roster and (b) someone not named Scott Skiles.

Yup. Thats about right.

I don't expect much to change for the players, but in a way this will be a test for the surly fans who consistently offered up criticisms of Skiles. Here's your chance to prove you meant what you said. To me, the hyper-criticisms of Skiles mostly express misdirected anger of discontented fans.

:lol: Is this guy serious? "Prove you meant what you said?" What does that even mean?

If Skiles has stubbornly stunted the development of a budding contender, I've never heard that stated directly.

I don't think I've seen anyone state that either. Not pro-Skiles Bucks fans. Not anti-Skiles Bucks fans. So whats this guy's point?

In any case, now is the time for every Skiles detractor to prove that they meant what they said.

:lol: Really?

Ok, I'll start.

1) I've criticized Skiles for not playing his best players the most minutes. Not just this year. But almost every year he was the Bucks' coach. Guess who played his best players the most minutes in his first two games as head coach? Jim Boylan

2) I've criticized Skiles for his 12 man rotations. Guess who had nice, tight, 9 man rotations in his first two games as head coach? Jim Boylan

3) I've criticized Skiles for being a bad communicator. Guess who's done a nice job communicating with his team during the first two games as a head coach? Jim Boylan

Whether any of this is reflected in the W/L record remains to be seen. 2-0 is a nice start. But at least Boylan is handling the 'Coaching 101' criticisms I had of Skiles the right way.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#380 » by averageposter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't think fans are being surly voicing displeasure that a coach can't seem to find a rotation 2 months after the start of the season. It could be argued that if the talent difference is minimal then what exactly is the point in continually shifting players in and out anyway. I don't think you can be looking for chemistry swapping players like that. Don't think how the players actually fit was a consideration when Daniels, Moute and Sanders gets trotted out. It looked like Skiles had just had enough, and he probably had. I think we will all know soon enough whether the team can come together a little and overachieve a little, but I do know it wasn't going to shifting the lineup every couple of games.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks