Race to the MVP pt. III

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Re: Race to the MVP pt. III 

Post#101 » by Krodis » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:56 am

Harden's averaging 29.4/5/4 on .650~ TS% over his last 16 games, not counting tonight (which will help a tiny bit).
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#102 » by fallacy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:11 am

The Thunder have actually gotten better (or atleast 100% maintained) so far after losing a possible top 5 MVP candidate? Durant is clearly the MVP then
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#103 » by ROballer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:29 am

PCProductions wrote:Lebron in the lead for me due to his competition falling from their hot starts (looking at Melo).

Talking about stats or team record?

Because the Heat are 3-4 in the last 7 games with 2 of their victories coming in OT against the struggling Mavs and Orlando(with losses to Chicago,Indiana,Milwaukee and Detroit)

They better snap out of the funk on the upcoming west road trip because the way they are playing,they can lose grip to the Clippers and OKC
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#104 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:02 am

ROballer wrote:
PCProductions wrote:Lebron in the lead for me due to his competition falling from their hot starts (looking at Melo).

Talking about stats or team record?

Because the Heat are 3-4 in the last 7 games with 2 of their victories coming in OT against the struggling Mavs and Orlando(with losses to Chicago,Indiana,Milwaukee and Detroit)

They better snap out of the funk on the upcoming west road trip because the way they are playing,they can lose grip to the Clippers and OKC

What's amusing is that LeBron is still putting up good numbers (save a 7 turnover performance against Indiana, but they're the best defensive team in the league).

It's the supporting cast that has to step up. Wade and Bosh are playing decently but Allen has gone AWOL and so has Battier.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
GaryCarterFan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#105 » by GaryCarterFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:07 pm

theokie wrote:Its really not a hard concept to grasp guys. Its just silly to argue how bad your teammates are when in fact thats not the case, and if it was then they wouldnt be a contender for the title. They are 2nd in the East. They have a chance.

Why does Dirk in 2010 matter? He didnt win the MVP either. That and Carmelo isn't even close to Dirks level. Clearly Dirk had talent around him too, look what happened last year without those guys.

Just show me a post from before the season where you talked about how good Melo's teammates were and I'll never question a thing you say again. Without looking, I'm going to say that doesn't exist.
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#106 » by Mobby » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:21 pm

Steph Curry should be getting more love. I mean the Warriors aren't quite a powerhouse, but with how they're doing in the stacked West... it's goin' good.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,719

Post#107 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:27 pm

Steph Curry is 6th on the MVP ladder.... Which frankly is way too high. I am not even sure he is the most valuable player on his team. What makes him more valuable than David Lee?

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
fallacy
RealGM

Post#108 » by fallacy » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:10 pm

Curry is pretty far down

1. Durant
2. Lebron
3. CP3
4. Melo
5. Duncan
6. Kobe

He'd be somewhere after that. Harden might even be ahead of Kobe even though the rockets record against the west is really bad.
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#109 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:24 pm

1. CP3
2. Durant
3. Lebron
4. Melo
5. Harden
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#110 » by theokie » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:45 pm

GaryCarterFan wrote:
theokie wrote:Its really not a hard concept to grasp guys. Its just silly to argue how bad your teammates are when in fact thats not the case, and if it was then they wouldnt be a contender for the title. They are 2nd in the East. They have a chance.

Why does Dirk in 2010 matter? He didnt win the MVP either. That and Carmelo isn't even close to Dirks level. Clearly Dirk had talent around him too, look what happened last year without those guys.

Just show me a post from before the season where you talked about how good Melo's teammates were and I'll never question a thing you say again. Without looking, I'm going to say that doesn't exist.

Don't get how that's relevant to my point. Are you trying to prove how bad the Knicks are by me saying or not saying how good his teammates are? I don't know what that will show. I've certainly praised Tyson Chandler and Jason Kidd quite often. Never been that high on Felton and I've always thought JR Smith made a great 6th man.

What exactly do you want from me? I'm just saying his teammates arent horrible. Don't know why that would bother any Knick fans. Then again that was my whole point to begin with.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#111 » by PCProductions » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:43 pm

I was talking about the Knicks' record, not Melo's individual performance, which has been spectacular.

But, as we all know, the MVP race is highly contingent on team record, for which Knicks have been slipping.
fallacy
RealGM

Post#112 » by fallacy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 am

Durant with a ho-hum night tonight. 26 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 steals, 3 assists, 10-17 fg, +21 +/- in 30+ minutes and OKC has the best record pending the LAC game tonight.
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#113 » by NaturalThunder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 am

fallacy wrote:Durant with a ho-hum night tonight. 26 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 steals, 3 assists, 10-17 fg, +21 +/- in 30+ minutes and OKC has the best record pending the LAC game tonight.

Sixth game this year he's had at least 2 steals and 2 blocks in the same game, and eighth game with 3+ blocks. I know steals and blocks don't always mean someone is a good defender, and Durant has had his moments this year where he's been a bad defender, but he's definitely much better this year than ever before. He's got 2.0 DWS which is tied for 9th in the league. Couple that with him leading the league in OWS and he's having a very good two-way season. I know win-shares can be a little misleading, but you can't ignore how effective and important he's been for OKC on both ends of the floor.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#114 » by theokie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 am

Clippers and Thunder are both 3.5 and 3 games ahead of the Heat respectively. Ive said all along that in order to win the MVP, OKC needs to have a comfortable lead over Miami record wise. I think the same standard goes for CP3.

Right now its a 3 man race in my opinion. If either the Clippers or Thunder win the West, and at the same time post a better record by 4 or 5 games over the Heat, I think that'd be enough for either Durant or Paul to take the MVP this year.

Although a lot still depends on the stats, but realistically there won't be that much of a fluctuation in their numbers from here on out. Durant winning a 4th consecutive scoring title would help his stock a lot. The head to head match ups could play a significant role in spinning the media hype as well.
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#115 » by illastrate » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 am

And CP3 with a ho hum 19pts/16asts/5rebs/2stls on 8/13 fg vs Mavs.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,702

Post#116 » by jc23 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Alot of times the guy that was runner up the previous year will win the MVP the next season. So i still say since its hard to win b2b anything in the NBA that Durant will get it unless the thunder take a tumble in the standings.

Right now the only guy who can steal it away from durant is cp3 imo.
Be curious, Not judgmental
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#117 » by mj234eva » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

fallacy wrote:6. Kobe

He'd be somewhere after that. Harden might even be ahead of Kobe even though the rockets record against the west is really bad.

Yea, the Lakers record vs the West is sooo much better...
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Al Swearengen
Starter
And1: 729

Post#118 » by Al Swearengen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I hope none of the people that are putting Paul above Lebron are the same people who complained about Rose winning over Lebron.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#119 » by PCProductions » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Al Swearengen wrote:I hope none of the people that are putting Paul above Lebron are the same people who complained about Rose winning over Lebron.

Good point.
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#120 » by NYK_89 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

PCProductions wrote:I was talking about the Knicks' record, not Melo's individual performance, which has been spectacular.

But, as we all know, the MVP race is highly contingent on team record, for which Knicks have been slipping.

Yeah but if they can recover the fact that a lot of these games were lost without melo will help him... unless he keeps missing stupid games like this

Return to The General Board