ImageImageImageImage

So Rudy Gay is available... We interested? Trade scenarios?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: So Rudy Gay is available... We interested? Trade scenar 

Post#41 » by Skin » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:24 pm

Forget Rudy Gay. Not good enough.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#42 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:35 pm

Bensational wrote:
Rudy's performance this year is down on his averages for the past 5 years. his career numbers are significantly higher. i don't think he's suddenly on the downside of his career at 26.

Rudy isn't taking as many attempts inside because ZBo is back, which clutters the interior. Last season, Rudy was a leading scorer in the paint amongst SFs, ranking 4th in FGAs in the paint, hitting over 60% of those, and being assisted on less than 50%. Those are the kinds of numbers you see from LeBron, Durant and Carmello - guys who can legitimately create their own offense well enough to carry a team.

Ultimately, the biggest reason I don't think we target Gay is because he has the player option for 2014/15, and right now, the 2014 summer seems to be what we're gearing ourselves towards, given that all contracts seem to be ending then. If Hennigan has something planned, I doubt he would want to jeopardize that on whether or not Gay picks up his $20M option.

Ben is thinking like a GM here. Well done. Especially, the bolded part.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#43 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 am

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to reiterate it here, in the relevant thread:

I've been getting frustrated with the amount of people who have been looking at Gay's stats this year and going "he's inefficient"... "only shoots 40%.." etc, etc. His career numbers have been significantly higher, and what's more, he performed well in the 37 games he played as the go to player for Memphis last year when ZBo was out.

W - L = 23 - 14 (60%)

20 PPG
17 FGAs
45% FG%
2.38 3FGAs
36% 3FG%
4 FTAs per game
77% FT%
52% TS%
48% eFG%

6.68 RPG
2.5 APG
1.7 SPG
0.8 BPG
2.62 TOV

25.4% USG%

Those aren't superstar numbers, but they aren't that bad. Compare them to Harden's numbers this year:

26.6 PPG
17.4 FGAs
45% FG%
5.2 3FGAs
35% 3FG%
10.2 FTAs
86% FT%
61% TS%
51% eFG%

4.2 RPG
5.4 APG
1.9 SPG
0.5 BPG
3.5 TOV

29% USG%

Now, Harden is a far better player, I'm not trying to argue that they are on the same page. But, the biggest difference there is the amount of times Harden gets to the line (which I think Gay could learn to bring to his game). If Gay got 6 more FTAs per game, at the same FT%, then that's an extra 4.5ppg right there, and suddenly the margin between the two doesn't look so astronomical on paper.

Gay is good at creating his own offense, and last season he was a top 5 SF in terms of scoring in the paint on unassisted baskets. Give him a couple more seasons of that and he'll learn to start drawing fouls, and he'll really take his game to the next level, IMO. Gay has also been a top performer in clutch baskets in recent seasons. The kid has so much potential, I think it's worth paying the $17M to try and get it out of him.

But, as I've said before, he would severely hamper our ability to add key FAs in 2014 if he were to opt into his mammoth $20M deal. Not sure how you'd work around that.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#44 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 am

Ben makes him sound a bit exciting. Not sure $20 mil exciting, but exciting. If they take Harrington and JJ plus Ayon, it may not sound so bad for the future.

Works on Trade Checker. Maybe even through in a late pick.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#45 » by Skin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 am

tiderulz wrote:
MostValuableGM wrote:JJ is almost as good as gone guys - lets be real - he's going to b a FA and the Magic aren't going to be the HIGHEST bidders - so lets send him to a playoff team - do him right - and lets take advantage of our best bargain piece

why do you believe so, when JJ has come out and said he wants to stay? Henny has already given a higher than normal contract to reward the loyalty of 1 player.

Not saying JJ shouldnt be traded, but it isnt a guarantee that he is gone.

If the Magic overbid on Redick then forget about this team getting better. It'll just be more of the same.

Meer's contract wasn't very loyal. Overpaid, yes. But not loyal. We're getting this year out of him but he may very well be traded this offseason. Next season he's an expiring contract and teams could be attracted by that. If his contract was in the $3-4M that's not as attractive as a big expiring contract like an $8.6M contract is. That is significant savings.

Hennigan wasn't very loyal to Ryan Anderson was he? lol JJ shares the same fate. Henny got his man in AA.

As for Rudy Gay, forget it. We don't have the assets to give them, especially without giving up our 1st rounders (which are going nowhere). ...and I don't think he's worth it either.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#46 » by Javanar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:37 am

Do not get a long term overpaid contract. Simple as that.
I am not a native English speaker...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#47 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Javanar wrote:Do not get a long term overpaid contract. Simple as that.

See Shard and Arenas as good examples. They both signed their contracts about Gay's age.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#48 » by Furinkazan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 pm

seen WT ?;p

lol if this is true

they wanted love +/or pekovic
ahahahahh
gl with that :D
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#49 » by MoMM » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:seen WT ?;p

lol if this is true

they wanted love +/or pekovic
ahahahahh
gl with that :D

They are nuts...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#50 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Well, Magic can forget about Afflalo and Hedo for Gay.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Dgbarnes
Junior
And1: 196

Post#51 » by Dgbarnes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

We shouldn't even be considering Gay. He'd be the last ingredient for a treadmill team, do not want.

Return to Orlando Magic