Nikola Pekovic

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Nikola Pekovic 

Post#1 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Where do we sit with Nikola Pekovic?

He's a free agent after this season, correct? If so, why haven't we done anything in trying to lock him up? IMO, he's been the MVP so far this season. I realize he's probably going to command a pretty penny, but I'd like to think Minnesota would want to keep him. If you lose Pekovic, then seemingly Love, what are you left with down low? Derrick Williams and Greg Stiemsma? I love both of those guys, but really?

Pekovic, along with Shved and Rubio, are my favorite players in the NBA. I think Pekovic is an All-Star caliber player and will continue to get better (scary, right?). So why haven't we heard any discussion on an extension, or why hasn't it happened yet? I think he likes it in Minnesota. I have no way of knowing other than he seems to really get along with everyone on the team and he has become a fan favorite here.

And why do his names keep popping up in trade rumors? You'd have to be crazy to trade Pekovic for Gasol or Varejao.

So, what does the future hold for Nikola Pekovic in a Wolves uniform?
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,006

Re: Nikola Pekovic 

Post#2 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm

We haven't tried to lock him up, because we can't. We can't offer him an extension with the way the rules are.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#3 » by Dual » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 pm

if he keeps playing like his doing last couple of weeks, he is a max player, the thing is if Adelman/Khan think that is the best for the team having 2 max players with other (Rubio) that can be a max player too. Also if Shved keeps improving the way he has been doing all season long, you will have to pay a lot for him.
We will see, all i have to say is that i love this Pek, and that he has improve a lot defensively, which makes him a borderline star tbh (not a super star of course).
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#4 » by Narf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm

There is a difference between a minimax and a max player.
We can have 3 mini-max players and be fine
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by LordBaldric » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Rubio isn't even close to a max player.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#6 » by Dual » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Rubio isn't even close to a max player.

right now he isnt of course, thats why i said "can be" because of his potential, nobody knows how good or bad Rubio can be in 2 years.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm

If we can keep Pekovic, Rubio and Shved, I'll be happy. I'd obviously like to keep Love, too, and I'm not one of those "We're better without Love" people, but I just don't see him staying here over the long haul.

I think with Pekovic, Rubio and Shved, you can build a playoff team around those three. Now, obviously, you're not going to be a great team with just those three guys, but if you can retain all three and add pieces around them, then you have something.

I just don't envision us being able to keep all three. And I really don't know who is more valuable than the other. They all three bring something different, unique, important and special to the table.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Assuming Shved and Rubio play the way we all think they can play, is there any way to pay Shved, Rubio and Pekovic? And then trade Love for a 2-3 high quality players to build around those 3?

I don't see us being able to keep all four of those guys. And out of the four, I'd prefer Love to go (sadly). Keep Williams, trade Love and add players along the lines of JJ Redick or Josh Smith or Ryan Anderson (not specifically those players, but players at that level, for example).
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#9 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

We have until 2015 to think about Rubio and Shved. Way too many things can happen between now and then to worry about signing all of them. Sign Pek this offseason and see where everyone is in a couple years.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm

C.lupus wrote:We have until 2015 to think about Rubio and Shved. Way too many things can happen between now and then to worry about signing all of them. Sign Pek this offseason and see where everyone is in a couple years.

Good point.

Do you think the Wolves will retain Pekovic, lupus?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I damn sure hope so. I feel less confident they will match a "max" offer, though.
wolfcat
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#12 » by wolfcat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 pm

C.lupus wrote:I damn sure hope so. I feel less confident they will match a "max" offer, though.

And with Love out for so long and Pek trying to pick up the slack, he could have a monstrous season that wakes up everyone and there you have it. Someone will do it.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#13 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Contract-wise this is the worst case scenario -- so many injuries except to Pekovic. Now he's going to put up big numbers that'll catch the eyes of some spending teams this offseason.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#14 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm

I hope Pek doesn't even talk to other teams and doesn't listen to his agent. I hope he's different. After all he doesn't have tweeters and Montenegro universities are only for education so he must be a serious man with his life priorities right.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#15 » by Jukeness » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm

I think the really strange thing is that Pek actually likes it here in Minnesota.
LedeniZZZ
Senior
And1: 172

Post#16 » by LedeniZZZ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Jukeness wrote:I think the really strange thing is that Pek actually likes it here in Minnesota.

He is from Northern Montenegro witch is part of region called Sandzak or Raska and it is one of the most cold places in Ex-Yugoslavia. Mineapolis is also (only my opinion) safe place, without many hype or media (I think he loves when people just leave him alone), laid back city. Also I think he loves nature and stuff like that. So I really understand what he likes there.

I hope Wolves resign him, and match max offer if he get's one.

But if he walks... what team it will be for guys ? :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKfZA-kMjo
call for unattainable beauty
Veselyfan
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#17 » by Veselyfan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I can assure you that money is not the top priority for Pek. During the lock out last season, he refused 2-3 top teams from Europe and their millions of euros to sign for the team with the lowest budget in Euroleague( Partizan Belgrade) and earn a lot less money because Partizan is the team where all started for him in 2005. So what I mean is, that if the Timberwolves really want to keep Pek, he will stay here.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#18 » by MrTwister » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm

IIRC he played for some symbolic salary in Partizan, he was never money-driven and for his 2 week salary there in Minnesota, he can live in Montenegro for a year, and by "live" i mean really enjoy for a year not just surviving day by day :D

As somebody already mentioned, Minnesota have very similar climate and whole environment remind him on his home.In one interview to Montenegrin media he mentioned that people there are warm and welcoming and making him feel like home.

I am not quite sure how that RFA thing works i.e if some other team offer him more money than Minny, can he decide to stay in Minnesota for less money or he will be forced to move ito team which brought more on the table?
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#19 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 pm

So even if he signs for the leagues minimum he's still going to leave like a king in Montenegro? I think we have this one in the bag.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#20 » by southern wolf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 am

LedeniZZZ wrote:
Jukeness wrote:I think the really strange thing is that Pek actually likes it here in Minnesota.

He is from Northern Montenegro witch is part of region called Sandzak or Raska and it is one of the most cold places in Ex-Yugoslavia. Mineapolis is also (only my opinion) safe place, without many hype or media (I think he loves when people just leave him alone), laid back city. Also I think he loves nature and stuff like that. So I really understand what he likes there.

Exactly. He's also surrounded by other Europeans. I would actually be shocked if he signed anywhere else.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves