ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Apr 6 games added)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 10 games added) 

Post#241 » by JN » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

A couple other players who deserve mention as we start conference season:

Junior Cadougan, while his numbers are modest. has established as the leader of Marquette this year as a senior. Marquette could be an 8-12 seed type team in the tourney.

Olivier Hanlan has been the second leading scorer for Boston College this year averaging over 13 a game. BC while still poor, has improved signiificantly over last year. They have moved up from #259 on the KenPom rank to #134.

Finally Melvin Ejim continues to be solid with Iowa St. He played really well at Kansas - 19 pts, 11 rebs, 5 asts. Nobody wins at Kansas, and Iowa St almost pulled off the major upset losing in OT. Although at this point, Kansas has overtaken Duke as having the most home cooking in the NCAA. Some bad calls in that game.
JN
RealGM

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 9 games added) 

Post#242 » by JN » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Mattd97 wrote:another guy who has come out of nowhere - at least thats what i call york university - is dejan kravic at texas tech. for however big a disappointment ty nurse has been, kravic has made up for it. averaging ~10 and 5, shooting just under 60% and just over a block and a half a game.

Texas Tech is in a major conference but they are a really bad team - might only win 1 or 2 games in the Big 12 this year. They are 8-5 this year but they have played the second worst schedule in the country.

May just be a case of someone having to get minutes on a bad team, but being efficient because they loaded up on the really inept at home.

We will see what he does in the Big 12 season.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#243 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Hassassin wrote:IMO, I think the biggest disappointment so far has to be Kyle Wiltjer. Team's are going at him defensively and he is been very inconsistent scoring/shooting wise.

Biggest mistake he made was going to Kentucky. We thought he was going to Gonzaga and then he committed to UK at the last minute without ever setting foot on their campus.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#244 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

JN wrote:A couple other players who deserve mention as we start conference season:

Junior Cadougan, while his numbers are modest. has established as the leader of Marquette this year as a senior. Marquette could be an 8-12 seed type team in the tourney.

Olivier Hanlan has been the second leading scorer for Boston College this year averaging over 13 a game. BC while still poor, has improved signiificantly over last year. They have moved up from #259 on the KenPom rank to #134.

Finally Melvin Ejim continues to be solid with Iowa St. He played really well at Kansas - 19 pts, 11 rebs, 5 asts. Nobody wins at Kansas, and Iowa St almost pulled off the major upset losing in OT. Although at this point, Kansas has overtaken Duke as having the most home cooking in the NCAA. Some bad calls in that game.

Cadougan never really lived up to the hype and he was Kabongo before Kabongo. I think with Junior he used to be fat and his jumper is a bit iffy. Melvin, I was hyping snce his freshman year, if he continues to work on his jumper he can play sf with Wiggins and Kris Joseph for the national team.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#245 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 pm

I knew this thread existed but missed seeing it earlier today. :oops:

Thanks for all the updates!
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#246 » by Hassassin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Leolovinliberal wrote:
JN wrote:A couple other players who deserve mention as we start conference season:

Cadougan never really lived up to the hype and he was Kabongo before Kabongo. I think with Junior he used to be fat and his jumper is a bit iffy. Melvin, I was hyping snce his freshman year, if he continues to work on his jumper he can play sf with Wiggins and Kris Joseph for the national team.

The thing with Melvin is, he almost made the Nigerian national team this past summer. I'm not sure if he wants to play for Canada, but I do know that Rowan Barrett likes him a lot.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#247 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Andy Katz says that Olynyk should have been nominated for player of the year:

But I must add two players who were missed, but who made my ballot: Indiana's Victor Oladipo and Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk.

Olynyk would be my choice from Gonzaga if you had to choose one.

I'm not sure another player has come back from a redshirt year and changed his body as much as Olynyk has, while becoming more skilled and productive.

He gives the Zags one of the toughest matchups in the country because he can make a face-up shot and put the ball on the court and drive, and he also has post-up skills.

Olynyk leads one of the most versatile teams in the country in scoring (17 points per game) and is a solid rebounder (6.6 per game).

He has handled the challenges in the WCC. Olynyk scored 33 points at Santa Clara and put up 17 points in the first half against rival Saint Mary's on Thursday night, finishing with 31.

He has scored consistently in wins over Oklahoma State (21 points), Baylor (21), Kansas State (20) and Washington State (22).

I'm not sure how anyone watching Gonzaga wouldn't see Olynyk as the team's most valuable player. He may end up being one of the top forwards in the country, positioned next to Plumlee and McDermott on a first-team All-American list.

He is that important and has been critical to the Zags' sensational start.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... /katz_andy
JN
RealGM

Post#248 » by JN » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 pm

What was your expected role for Olynyk at the beginning of this year? Given that Dower/Harris were coming back.

I am sure he has surpassed all expectations in becoming not only the go to guy, but really good at it as well.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#249 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

JN wrote:What was your expected role for Olynyk at the beginning of this year? Given that Dower/Harris were coming back.

I am sure he has surpassed all expectations in becoming not only the go to guy, but really good at it as well.

I was one of the few regulars on the Zags board that saw potential in him; that's only because I knew what he was capable of from his minutes with the Canadian National Team. That being said, he has far exceeded my expectations. He has changed his body more than anyone that I have ever seen. He's so assertive offensively and so gifted that he can't be stopped one on one. I expect several more 30/10 games from him by seasons end. This kid is a flat out stud.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#250 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 pm

JN wrote:What was your expected role for Olynyk at the beginning of this year? Given that Dower/Harris were coming back.

You're right. From what I read, Olynyk has basically forced the issue, starting the year coming off the bench. Apparently there's also been some friction between Coach Few and Kelly...
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#251 » by Leolovinliberal » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 am

SharoneWright wrote:

You're right. From what I read, Olynyk has basically forced the issue, starting the year coming off the bench. Apparently there's also been some friction between Coach Few and Kelly...

Where on earth did you hear that from? I'm a diehard Zags fan and there has never been any mention of that whatsoever. In fact Coach Few said that no player has ever worked harder or transformed their game more during a redshirt year than Kelly. Few said that Kelly was the best player last year in practice.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#252 » by SharoneWright » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 am

Leolovinliberal wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Where on earth did you hear that from? I'm a diehard Zags fan and there has never been any mention of that whatsoever. In fact Coach Few said that no player has ever worked harder or transformed their game more during a redshirt year than Kelly. Few said that Kelly was the best player last year in practice.

Well, LLL, Olynyk was frustrated enough last year with playing time to seriously consider transferring schools, he was suspended for "student-athlete conduct" or something like that for the first 3 games this year, and was being sat on the bench behind a true rookie cente to start this year. When asked what was up with that, the quote was something like, "You'll have to ask coach about that". So, for whatever it's worth, I think Olynyk has had to work a little harder to work his way into Coach Few's heart.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#253 » by Leolovinliberal » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 am

Few didn't suspend him, he was suspended by the school for breaking conduct rules.

Leolovinliberal wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Well, LLL, Olynyk was frustrated enough last year with playing time to seriously consider transferring schools, he was suspended for "student-athlete conduct" or something like that for the first 3 games this year, and was being sat on the bench behind a true rookie cente to start this year. When asked what was up with that, the quote was something like, "You'll have to ask coach about that". So, for whatever it's worth, I think Olynyk has had to work a little harder to work his way into Coach Few's heart.[/quote]
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by Hassassin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 am

Updated
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 11 games added) 

Post#255 » by Hassassin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:16 am

Updated
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 12 games added) 

Post#256 » by Leolovinliberal » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 am

Rumors starting to float around that Wiltjer may transfer from Kentucky. Hope he goes to my beloved Zags, where we thought he was headed in the first place. He is the prototypical Gonzaga player.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 12 games added) 

Post#257 » by Hassassin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 am

Updated
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 14 games added) 

Post#258 » by Hassassin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 am

Updated
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 15 games added) 

Post#259 » by Hassassin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 am

Updated
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Re: OT - 2012-13 CDNs in the NCAA (Jan 16 games added) 

Post#260 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 am

Kelly with another ho hum 21/8 in 19 minutes. He's now up to #17 in NBAdraft.net.

Return to Toronto Raptors