ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe's D is a detriment to the Lakers (check this article)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Kobe's D is a detriment to the Lakers (check this article) 

Post#1 » by Imadogg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:42 am

Kobe is not (solely) responsible for the Lakers' struggles. In fact, I'd list the inability of Howard to erase the roster's defensive weaknesses, the crazy injury situation, and Gasol's deterioration, in that order, as the primary reasons for failure on the court. But Kobe is the only person who can ruin Kobe Bryant's historic season, because he is the only one who can invalidate its merits. And Kobe Bryant's defense is completely invalidating his unprecedented offensive success.

To call Kobe Bryant's defense this season bad is to call the Pacific Ocean big, or the sun hot. He hasn't just been bad and he's not just a liability. His presence on the defensive end of the court has actually become a detriment, in the truest sense of the word. And the worst part? He's not failing to play defense. He has willingly decided that he no longer needs to try.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013 ... ric-season

Hit the link, gives pictures and spells out the plays and shows frame by frame what's going on and how Kobe refuses to move on many defensive possessions, which destroys our team.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Re: Kobe's D is a detriment to the Lakers (check this articl 

Post#2 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am

Even Steve Nash has been playing better D... smh
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
The Boot Room
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by The Boot Room » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:22 am

I don't know if anyone of the coaching stuff has tried to show him a video of some of his defensive lacks of effort. Any player would be ashamed. You can't say you want to win more than anything else and then just let the other team score easy baskets again and again basically because you aren't doing anything to avoid it. I thought that at his 17th season he would know that this game is played in both ends.
TARIQ
Veteran
And1: 225

Post#4 » by TARIQ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Off Ball he's been sucking so bad, however, he's been doing a good job 1 on 1
Wonderllama wrote:George/Hibbert = the next Kobe/Shaq?

PG seems like he could be even better than Kobe... IMO.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#5 » by ROballer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 pm

TARIQ wrote:Off Ball he's been sucking so bad, however, he's been doing a good job 1 on 1

Agreed

D'Antoni should assign him to guard the PG's every game.....he can't sag off of them and let them blow by him everytime,out of sheer competitiveness or even embarassment,I think he'll at least show some effort and try to stay in front of his man

Nash can guard the opposing SG's....there are A LOT of better quality PG's than SG's,so we won't have many matchup problems throughout the season
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#6 » by PandGneverfold » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:31 pm

One player is not responsible for this teams defense, our sucky defense takes a total team effort,including the coaching staff.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#7 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

How he continues to make All-Defense teams is beyond me. He hasn't been deserving for a couple of years now.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:59 pm

PandGneverfold wrote:One player is not responsible for this teams defense, our sucky defense takes a total team effort,including the coaching staff.

I basically agree with this, especially after last nights game.

Individually, our guys, including Kobe, were playing decent and active man D... Where it broke down was lack of communication on switches etc. We play abysmal team D... All of them.
There's no help, or it's too late, or the wrong guy helps... It's like the Washington Generals out there on Defense.

Personally, I think the stars are all playing the blame game... Kobe's blaming Dwight for not stepping up... Dwight's pouting at Kobe and not putting in the same effort... Nash doesn't want to be involved in the bickering... Pau's waiting for someone to beg him...
And it's also on the coaching staff and FO for not stepping in and implementing a methodology that brings them all together, whether that's more practice focus, trades, or whatever...

The only players I think are just incapable of playing Defense are Jamison and Duhon... I think even Pau can play a little better... It's just a matter of reaching them all...

It's like JVG was eluding to, the players need to stop worrying about who's touching the ball on Offense and start worrying about playing lock down Defense... But the coach needs to recognize that's the direction they need to go.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Mr 24 eight
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Mr 24 eight » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm

You can pick two bad plays a game for every player in the keague. Give me a break.
Gig 'em Lakers
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#10 » by GAME TIME » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 pm

RIDCULOUS

Kobe is not the reason for the poor defense.

Defensive coaching is.

Besides the easy layups and dunks, most of Durants points were coming off screens with easy looks. Peace or Clark played him man up and then got no help when they were screened.

The rotational defense on this team SUCKS.. Teams have been doing this all season, just screen and getting open looks.

Team defense is the reason why this defense sucks, and the one I blame this on, is the coaching .
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#11 » by Speedlot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Mr 24 eight wrote:You can pick two bad plays a game for every player in the keague. Give me a break.

How is this any different from.. Hey TMAC is the best player of all time. Shows 2 minute highlight reel.

Kobe's defense is crap, but I really don't think it's his fault moreso than his coaches defensive scheming.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#12 » by Doormatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 pm

wow kobe's defense isnt good? holy **** what ground breaking evidence youve brought to us, thank you.
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#13 » by Doormatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:44 pm

related note, that website sucks. every article ive read from there points out the obvious with almost no new perspective or statistics to back it up. i like reading analysis from people that can use more than just pictures and stating what is clear.
#doorgek
poind3xter
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#14 » by poind3xter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 pm

The Kobe apologists have come out I see...
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#15 » by Doormatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:10 pm

poind3xter wrote:The Kobe apologists have come out I see...

nobody is apologizing for his defense, its obviously bad. its obvious to anyone who watches the lakers.

the thing is theres much bigger problems than kobe's defense.
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#16 » by Doormatt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:30 pm

my overall point is this:

last year the lakers had the 13th ranked defense with kobe playing EXACTLY the same defense hes playing this year

the year before the lakers had the 6th ranked defense with, again, kobe playing nearly exactly the same defense.

nothing has really changd with kobe's individual defense the last 3 years, yet the team defense has gotten consistently worse. is this kobe's fault? obviously not. and let me be clear, im not trying to excuse kobe, there is no excusing poor play. but how much does this really effect the overall team and their defense? not really that much.
#doorgek
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#17 » by leeprettyp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm

of course its Kobe's singular fault the team is this bad this year. I just wish some of you player fans and bandwagon Laker fans would find a new team now.
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#18 » by LA_Sports » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm

ROballer wrote:
TARIQ wrote:Off Ball he's been sucking so bad, however, he's been doing a good job 1 on 1

Agreed

D'Antoni should assign him to guard the PG's every game.....he can't sag off of them and let them blow by him everytime,out of sheer competitiveness or even embarassment,I think he'll at least show some effort and try to stay in front of his man

Nash can guard the opposing SG's....there are A LOT of better quality PG's than SG's,so we won't have many matchup problems throughout the season

Kobe has less of a chance stopping point guards. They are too quick and would require him to put forth constant effort to keep with them. With Kobe not choosing to play much defense now, how do you think that's going to work out when he has to do more? The points would carve up the Lakers easily.

Plus Kobe is old and is already getting burned out. Imagine him trying to stay fresh in games when he has to be the primary offensive threat and now play defense on the quickest player. The goal is to save his legs.

Kobe would do best on a spot up shooter from the out side. Let Kobe shadow them and not cheat off to play the passing lanes.
ball teacher
Starter
And1: 259

Kobe is the problem 

Post#19 » by ball teacher » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Kobe is a future hall of famer, a 5 time NBA champion, a league MVP, a scoring champ, a defensive player of the year, but he is also a man with a huge ego and little leadership skills. Kobe will get a pass because he's the face of the franchise and he has all the accolades I already mentioned, but when you look at what's happening with this team, the blame falls on the team leader and the coaches, and in this case I'm putting more blame on Kobe because this is a league where superstars get coaches canned all the time, the superstars take over games, their words hold heavy weight in huddles and on the floor, and Kobe has rarely shown traits of great leadership in his whole career.
He has had beef with Shaq, Bynum says Kobe stunted his development, and now Howard is making his displeasure known. If you will explain away each of these issues Kobe has had and attempt to justify them in anyway on behalf of Kobe, then you are letting your homerism cloud your judgement. Kobe is a great player/scorer, but that's all he is, he needs a stacked team to win because he doesn't have the leadership ability to make his teamates better, instead he gets under hs teamates skin and they dislike him. There is no reason this team should have the record it does, Kobe should've sacrificed his scoring the past two seasons for the betterment of his team, instead he wanted to try to win the league scoring title at his older age to prove to players like Lebron and Durant that he still has what it takes to be considered the best in the league, all the while these other guys are team oriented guys who want to win rings and have no problems sacrificing individual accomplishments for titles.
Don't blame D'antoni, don't blame Howard, don't blame old age, blame the supposed "leader" of this team who has failed to positively rally the troops to play good TEAM ball and be successfull in the process.
"Thou shalt not test basketball Mcjesus at the rim or ye shall receive the forearm of righteousness" Flip Murray
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#20 » by dockingsched » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm

thanks for posting ima. wanted someone to take the time to breakdown kobe's breakdown's, glad someone took the time. just eye opening how bad his defense is.

i know its these guy's are pros, but when your team leader doesn't even try on defense but has no problem taking so many shots, its hard to give it your all yourself.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers