2012/13 Random Trade Thoughts

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: 2012/13 Random Trade Thoughts 

Post#221 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I don't see a reason to trade him either, but if he is dealt, that Raptors deal would be something I would be a fan of. There could be other pieces too like picks or prospects that tilts the deal more in our favor.

Ross has looked good and would fit in with the roster I think and would give us a scoring option off the bench.

Calderon gives us a true playmaking point, which would help us a lot on offense and we can hide his defense. Plus he's expiring, so we would have enough cap space to easily resign West and another impact player or two, while keeping some off our current bench (Hansbrough mostly).

And Ross has 3 more years for cheap.

So with the Raptors trade, we end up like this:

PG - Calderon/Augustin
SG - Hill/Stephenson/Ross
SF - George/Green
PF - West/Hansbrough
C - Hibbert/Mahinmi

If we really wanted to get a playmaking point, I say we go all out and get a Jrue Holiday or Tony Parker, I wouldn't even consider Calderon a true PG, I think he's a lot like George Hill. Maybe if the Raptors threw in a 1st rd pick, it'd make it worth our while.

My motto on sports trades is if it's not broke, don't fix it. And right now, the Pacers are definitely not broke.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#222 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm

The idea with this trade would be that it ain't broke since Granger is out and if we keep him he should be a starter. Maybe if we got a Hansbrough for Davis swap in too, I'd probably give our first next season in that deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#223 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I don't see a reason to trade him either, but if he is dealt, that Raptors deal would be something I would be a fan of. There could be other pieces too like picks or prospects that tilts the deal more in our favor.

Ross has looked good and would fit in with the roster I think and would give us a scoring option off the bench.

Calderon gives us a true playmaking point, which would help us a lot on offense and we can hide his defense. Plus he's expiring, so we would have enough cap space to easily resign West and another impact player or two, while keeping some off our current bench (Hansbrough mostly).

PG - Calderon/Augustin
SF - George/Green
PF - West/Hansbrough
C - Hibbert/Mahinmi

If we really wanted to get a playmaking point, I say we go all out and get a Jrue Holiday or Tony Parker, I wouldn't even consider Calderon a true PG, I think he's a lot like George Hill. Maybe if the Raptors threw in a 1st rd pick, it'd make it worth our while.

My motto on sports trades is if it's not broke, don't fix it. And right now, the Pacers are definitely not broke.

So you're willing to trade Paul George for Jrue or Parker? Because we can't really assemble packages for those guys otherwise.

Lastly, Calderon would back up Hill but play a lot as Hill would play a bit more 2 guard in a swing rotation where Green and Lance would play some backup 3. If you think Ross can be something solid now and in the future, it's not a bad idea. Clears cap next year while upgrading the backup pg spot immensely. If you could net any more value, it's a very cost effective idea that gives you more tradable or rebuilding pieces going forward.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#224 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:

PG - Calderon/Augustin
SF - George/Green
PF - West/Hansbrough
C - Hibbert/Mahinmi

So you're willing to trade Paul George for Jrue or Parker? Because we can't really assemble packages for those guys otherwise.

No, not at all the way George has been playing recently. I'm not a fan of trading anyone on our team, other than moving some pieces around on the bench such as Hansbrough or Green.
PacersPete
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#225 » by PacersPete » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:42 pm

If granger comes back and proves he is healthy and still the player he used to be, what about a granger for josh smith trade? For atlanta, it looks like they are planning to let him leave at the end of the season anyway. Granger has another year on his contract so he has more value to them. For us, we would be clearing granger's salary and we would have the option to try to resign josh and let david west leave. If smith doesn't resign we just pick up west. We can't afford to keep all three of george, west, and granger once george hits free agency anyway.

Hill
Stephenson
George
Smith
Hibbert

Fixes cap situation, defense gets even better, george can continue to be the main man on offense
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#226 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

I've never liked Smith's work ethic or attitude. He's kind of a locker room nuisance.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#227 » by chube » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 am

For all these Granger comments, I'd like to throw something out there. Danny has arguably been the face of a mainly rebuilding franchise post-Reggie/brawl. When he's healthy and on the floor, he's a HUGE asset with the offense he creates, something the team has been lacking consistently without him (we average more PPG than only the Wizards this year.)

He's an upper-echelon player who, by all reports, has loved playing in small-market Indiana and his agent I remember came out last year when his name was brought up in trade rumors that he doesn't want to be traded. If this is all true and assuming we're still an upper-echelon team when his contract expires after next year. This is a guy who could POTENTIALLY give us a home-town discount when that time comes. Guys who love the city and love the team have made sacrifices for the greater good in the past (namely Reggie, Smits, Foster, etc.) This is exactly why I don't want to trade him right now (and since he hasn't even played a minute yet.) Granger on a home-town discount could make this team potentially VERY scary.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#228 » by Pacersike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am

You have to realize that it will be very difficult to keep all 5 starters and not fill your bench with minimum salary type of players. That's the reality for a small market team.
Look at Memphis. Some of their players have a bigger salary, but they only have 4 guys getting/worthy of a big paycheck.

Danny and West have as much right as Hibbert to not take any discounts. That's up to them.
Maybe that might be the best for all parties: Danny finishing his contract with the Pacers and sign for a team in LA or New Orleans after next season. Danny happy and we thankful for all those years we had him on our team.
Train7492
Junior
And1: 4

Post#229 » by Train7492 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Would going after Pierce and KG bring us a ring? I know the window would only be this year and next. So if we could get them to do something along the lines of Granger, Hibbert, Pick, ? for Pierce, KG.

Hill, Augustin
Pierce, Stephenson
George, Johnson
West, Hasbrough
KG, Mahinmi

I think that line-up could beat the Heat. But the down side to all that is we would have to rebuild in 2 years then. So my question do you make a move to have a very good chance at a ring this year or next then rebuild?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#230 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Train7492 wrote:Would going after Pierce and KG bring us a ring? I know the window would only be this year and next. So if we could get them to do something along the lines of Granger, Hibbert, Pick, ? for Pierce, KG.

Hill, Augustin
Pierce, Stephenson
George, Johnson
West, Hasbrough
KG, Mahinmi

I think that line-up could beat the Heat. But the down side to all that is we would have to rebuild in 2 years then. So my question do you make a move to have a very good chance at a ring this year or next then rebuild?

So in a couple of years, when Pierce and KG retire, we'll have to rebuild again? Why would we do that? And Pierce is no SG. He would have to come off the bench. I still have yet to see a Granger trade for a worthwhile SG that could allow PG to stay as our starting SF.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#231 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:53 am

Train7492 wrote:Would going after Pierce and KG bring us a ring? I know the window would only be this year and next. So if we could get them to do something along the lines of Granger, Hibbert, Pick, ? for Pierce, KG.

Hill, Augustin
Pierce, Stephenson
George, Johnson
West, Hasbrough
KG, Mahinmi

I saw some guy suggesting this same trade in the Trade Board. It's not a terrible deal, but I hate giving up Hibbert, 7'2'' mobile centers who block 2.8 shots per game are not growing on trees. But here is the deal if we make this Garnett, Pierce and Lee for Granger, Hibbert and Green we are taking about $3 million in salary. Which saves the Celts from paying luxury tax, they are about $1.9 million over the tax threashold. So this saves them $5 million and gets them in on the payout from the tax. So I don't want to give a #1 pick in the deal, in fact I'd like to get a #2 or something.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#232 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 am

I've been hearing that the magic are looking at trade offers for JJ Redick. I was thinking we need a shooter like him that can just shoot the sights out. How about we do a two step trade. JJ, Mo Harkless, and Andrew Nicholson for Danny Granger. This drops $3.7 million of salary this yr gets us 2 young guys at the SF and PF, and a gunner in JJ. The we send Plumlee and Pendergraff and a #2 this yr to the Magic for Josh McRoberts. I always liked McBob. This gives us 2 youngsters who are under contract for 3 more seasons and cheap and 2 guys we can resign if we want. And opens up the money to sign West.

I don't know if they'd do any of that or not, depends on Danny Being healthy. :D :D
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#233 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm

JR Smith (assuming he doesn't pick up his player option) and OJ Mayo (assuming he doesn't pick up his player option) both become free agents this offseason. I would really like to see either of them get a spot on our team as a 6th man, especially Mayo.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#234 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am

Jake0890 wrote:JR Smith (assuming he doesn't pick up his player option) and OJ Mayo (assuming he doesn't pick up his player option) both become free agents this offseason. I would really like to see either of them get a spot on our team as a 6th man, especially Mayo.

I don't see either of them wanting to be a bench guy. Mayo should start for most teams and Smith is very talented.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,241

Post#235 » by Nuntius » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 am

Jake0890 wrote:I would really like to see either of them get a spot on our team as a 6th man, especially Mayo.

They don't want to be 6th men, though. If Mayo wanted to be a 6th man, he would have no reason to take a worse offer in order to become a starter in Dallas.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#236 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am

Nuntius wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:I would really like to see either of them get a spot on our team as a 6th man, especially Mayo.

They don't want to be 6th men, though. If Mayo wanted to be a 6th man, he would have no reason to take a worse offer in order to become a starter in Dallas.

I guess they wouldn't have to be, if we:
a) Trade granger (not a fan of that)
b) Have Granger back up George as a SF and bring in a starting SG
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,241

Post#237 » by Nuntius » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I guess they wouldn't have to be, if we:
a) Trade granger (not a fan of that)
b) Have Granger back up George as a SF and bring in a starting SG

I'm not a fan of JR Smith as a starter. Mayo I could see as a starter if only he didn't play late in games.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#238 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

The Indiana Pacers, according to head coach Frank Vogel, will add a player to the roster by Feb. 21.

“Every time we talk about the trade deadline, we just keep talking about the player we need to acquire is Danny Granger,” Vogel tells The Indianapolis Star. “Hopefully that will all go smoothly.”

Hmm.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,090

Post#239 » by tiderulz » Sun Feb 3, 2013 4:51 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I've been hearing that the magic are looking at trade offers for JJ Redick. I was thinking we need a shooter like him that can just shoot the sights out. How about we do a two step trade. JJ, Mo Harkless, and Andrew Nicholson for Danny Granger. This drops $3.7 million of salary this yr gets us 2 young guys at the SF and PF, and a gunner in JJ. The we send Plumlee and Pendergraff and a #2 this yr to the Magic for Josh McRoberts. I always liked McBob. This gives us 2 youngsters who are under contract for 3 more seasons and cheap and 2 guys we can resign if we want. And opens up the money to sign West.

I don't know if they'd do any of that or not, depends on Danny Being healthy. :D :D

let me help you, the Magic dont do any of that. we arent trading our youth for a highly paid 29 yr old. We are rebuilding, not 1 player away from contending.
Train7492
Junior
And1: 4

Post#240 » by Train7492 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 5:13 pm

When it comes to Granger would we be better off trading him when he comes back if there is a deal where we get a young prospect back? I say if he doesn't make a major upgrade to the team and a deal comes up pull the trigger. My hopes is that he makes a upgrade to the team, if that is the case we could go deep in the playoffs. If not sending him to a good team wouldn't bother me, give him a chance at a ring.
The deal that I have seen that catches my eye would be the one with the Raptors, and Lakers. If we have a chance to get a player like Terrance Ross I would think that we couldn't pass it up, I think he has major upside. Like every deal out there I would make a few changes to it.

Pacers in: Ross, Hill, Klieza, Jamison .......... Out: Granger, Hansbrough, Hasbrough
Lakers in: Granger, Bargs, T. Hansbrough ....Out: Gasol, Jamison, Hill
Raptors in: Gasol, B. Hansbrough .............. Out: Klieza, Ross, Bargs

For the Pacers they could still make a run this year and they would be set up for the future too. Jamison fills in for Hansbrough for this year, and if we loose West ( hope not) next year Hill can fill that spot when he gets back. We also save some money.

Lakers could still make a push to the playoffs and to me would be a team that you would not want to play against in a series. Nash, Bryant, Granger, MWP, Howard could make the playoffs.

The Raptors loose 2 bad contracts in Bargs, Klieza at the cost of Ross and get the guy they want in Gasol.

A few changes might have to be made to fill out rosters or open up spots.

Return to Indiana Pacers