ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe's D is a detriment to the Lakers (check this article)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TARIQ
Veteran
And1: 225

Re: Kobe's D is a detriment to the Lakers (check this articl 

Post#41 » by TARIQ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 am

Gasol_ can't defend a chair
Jamison- See Gasol
Bryant- Cheating and playing lazy offball defense
Nash- not a good defender, opposing pg's blow passed him

Points in the paint: 56.0 a whooping 56.0

Our interior defense sucks we only have dwight that can defend in the post. Our wing defenders are slow as hell

we need a brewer, bradley type of player at the wing. Lets just sign west and martin for the minimum i'm sure that'll help us out
Wonderllama wrote:George/Hibbert = the next Kobe/Shaq?

PG seems like he could be even better than Kobe... IMO.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#42 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:09 am

hmmm I wonder if u guys realize that the guy is tired. The guy is carrying us every night for +40mpg. Kobe defense is not the main reason we're losing. This team is losing because the coaching hire doesnt fit the roster, injuries and as a TEAM overall the defense sux. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER INCLUDING DWIGHT has sucked on that end of the court. At this stage of his career Kobe cant dominate +40mpg on both ends of the court. Cut his minutes down to around 33-34mpg and I bet you his defensive intensity will pick back up. The type of fast pace offense were running is affecting us on the other end of the court. Guys are exhausted for heavens sake look at the game last night Earl Clark is in his early 20's and he looked like he needed an oxygen mask. We need to slow up the pace of the game and pound the paint instead of chucking 3's and allowing break outs. Makes no sense for an older league team that should be out skilling opponents instead of trying to out pace them smh
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#43 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 am

I agree that Kobe's defense has not been good. But to pin the team woes on Kobe's D would ignore so many other factors.
Individual player defense rarely affects the outcome of games. It's the team defensive schemes that are important.
This team is completely clueless on defense. They don't rotate timely and don't cover for each other.
They have an obvious weakness in guarding the other teams point guards, yet they rarely put in schemes to get the ball out of the PG's hands.
They take too many 3 pointers on offense, which leads to lots of fast break points for the other team.
Thier half-court defense is actually not horrible. It's their transition defense that stinks up the joint every game.

I agree that Kobe has lost a step on defense. The team though is losing because of poor TEAM defense.
Formerly lakerRD
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 am

lakerRD wrote:I agree that Kobe's defense has not been good. But to pin the team woes on Kobe's D would ignore so many other factors.
Individual player defense rarely affects the outcome of games. It's the team defensive schemes that are important.
This team is completely clueless on defense. They don't rotate timely and don't cover for each other.
They have an obvious weakness in guarding the other teams point guards, yet they rarely put in schemes to get the ball out of the PG's hands.
They take too many 3 pointers on offense, which leads to lots of fast break points for the other team.
Thier half-court defense is actually not horrible. It's their transition defense that stinks up the joint every game.

I agree that Kobe has lost a step on defense. The team though is losing because of poor TEAM defense.

MY FRIEND HAPPY YOU ACTUALLY "GET IT".
GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#45 » by GeneralNash » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 am

It is just not defense. For what is supose to be a potent offensive minded team...lakers are not. Lakers should be winning half of their games by having a superior offense...but they just lack offensive superiority against most teams.

Sent via tapatalk 2
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:20 am

GeneralNash wrote:It is just not defense. For what is supose to be a potent offensive minded team...lakers are not. Lakers should be winning half of their games by having a superior offense...but they just lack offensive superiority against most teams.

Sent via tapatalk 2

To me its because this roster isnt fit for this offensive scheme. Also he is only playing 8 people a game smh. At this point players have tired legs.

Tired legs = Clanked jumpers
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#47 » by richboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:22 am

PandGneverfold wrote:One player is not responsible for this teams defense, our sucky defense takes a total team effort,including the coaching staff.

Usually would agree. But when your name is Kobe Bryant. You say I'm all about winning. I'm the leader of this team. You set the tone. You take the credit for the wins but everyone else was at fault for the losses. Don't work that way.

Let be perfectly honest as I'm already hearing well other players defense sucks too. It is a big difference to your defense sucks to your not even trying. What player on this roster isn't even trying on defense.

You need to bring it on defense even more than you do on offense. If that means you only average 25 a game then that is fine. But you have to bring it on the defensive end first. I said it days ago. With some criticizing me for being hard on Kobe. The obvious you criticize Kobe you must be a hater. At least 6 games this year that have been somewhat close. That I'm watching the game and wondering what in the world Kobe is doing on defense. Actually every game has been like that but at least 6 games that to me if Kobe gave even a small amount effort on defense they win easy. I'm watching Denver play by play guys laugh at how Kobe was just ignoring Corey Brewer. JVG last night. Wish he was the coach. This article. Finally some people willing to call Kobe out. I doubt Mike D will say anything though.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: Kobe is the problem 

Post#48 » by GeneralNash » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 am

I thought this too but have now decided that the coach is the real problem. These guys are giving it everything they have these past two to three games...but still a loss. It is not a lack of effort, energy, talent, or youth...it is just the wrong people to do what dantoni wants to do. Unless Dantoni starts developing a new system...or drastically modify the current system to maximize the personnel he has....it is going to continue to be bad regardless of the leadership on the court.

Sent via tapatalk 2
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#49 » by semi-sentient » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:24 am

Good article. Hopefully we see more articles criticizing his defense so that they eventually get back to him. Perhaps he'll get ticked off and take more pride in playing defense.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 am

PandGneverfold wrote:
ball teacher wrote:Kobe is a future hall of famer, a 5 time NBA champion, a league MVP, a scoring champ, a defensive player of the year, but he is also a man with a huge ego and little leadership skills. Kobe will get a pass because he's the face of the franchise and he has all the accolades I already mentioned, but when you look at what's happening with this team, the blame falls on the team leader and the coaches, and in this case I'm putting more blame on Kobe because this is a league where superstars get coaches canned all the time, the superstars take over games, their words hold heavy weight in huddles and on the floor, and Kobe has rarely shown traits of great leadership in his whole career.
He has had beef with Shaq, Bynum says Kobe stunted his development, and now Howard is making his displeasure known. If you will explain away each of these issues Kobe has had and attempt to justify them in anyway on behalf of Kobe, then you are letting your homerism cloud your judgement. Kobe is a great player/scorer, but that's all he is, he needs a stacked team to win because he doesn't have the leadership ability to make his teamates better, instead he gets under hs teamates skin and they dislike him. There is no reason this team should have the record it does, Kobe should've sacrificed his scoring the past two seasons for the betterment of his team, instead he wanted to try to win the league scoring title at his older age to prove to players like Lebron and Durant that he still has what it takes to be considered the best in the league, all the while these other guys are team oriented guys who want to win rings and have no problems sacrificing individual accomplishments for titles.
Don't blame D'antoni, don't blame Howard, don't blame old age, blame the supposed "leader" of this team who has failed to positively rally the troops to play good TEAM ball and be successfull in the process.

I never knew a person could type that many words without saying anything.

A whole bunch of nothing at that
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#51 » by PandGneverfold » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:36 am

richboy wrote:
PandGneverfold wrote:One player is not responsible for this teams defense, our sucky defense takes a total team effort,including the coaching staff.

Usually would agree. But when your name is Kobe Bryant. You say I'm all about winning. I'm the leader of this team. You set the tone. You take the credit for the wins but everyone else was at fault for the losses. Don't work that way.

Let be perfectly honest as I'm already hearing well other players defense sucks too. It is a big difference to your defense sucks to your not even trying. What player on this roster isn't even trying on defense.

You need to bring it on defense even more than you do on offense. If that means you only average 25 a game then that is fine. But you have to bring it on the defensive end first. I said it days ago. With some criticizing me for being hard on Kobe. The obvious you criticize Kobe you must be a hater. At least 6 games this year that have been somewhat close. That I'm watching the game and wondering what in the world Kobe is doing on defense. Actually every game has been like that but at least 6 games that to me if Kobe gave even a small amount effort on defense they win easy. I'm watching Denver play by play guys laugh at how Kobe was just ignoring Corey Brewer. JVG last night. Wish he was the coach. This article. Finally some people willing to call Kobe out. I doubt Mike D will say anything though.

No one is trying on defense and save the Kobe gets all the credit for winning excuse. As soon as the lakers were winning in 09 and 10 most people on realgm was screaming it was all pAu and that laker frontline and that you could replace Kobe with any shooting guard and get the same results. You even had idiots saying Bynum was dominant during that time. I know Kobe is the leader and deserves some flack but besides Jordan hill there is absolutely no one on this team trying on defense,and that's not surprising once you see the coach. Like I said blaming one guy is the easy way out. I just find it funny that when other guys put up nice stats with nice averages they get praise and the well they just need more help,but the guy putting up 30,5,5 on our team is the problem. Yea sure
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#52 » by PandGneverfold » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 am

ball teacher wrote:Kobe is a future hall of famer, a 5 time NBA champion, a league MVP, a scoring champ, a defensive player of the year, but he is also a man with a huge ego and little leadership skills. Kobe will get a pass because he's the face of the franchise and he has all the accolades I already mentioned, but when you look at what's happening with this team, the blame falls on the team leader and the coaches, and in this case I'm putting more blame on Kobe because this is a league where superstars get coaches canned all the time, the superstars take over games, their words hold heavy weight in huddles and on the floor, and Kobe has rarely shown traits of great leadership in his whole career.
He has had beef with Shaq, Bynum says Kobe stunted his development, and now Howard is making his displeasure known. If you will explain away each of these issues Kobe has had and attempt to justify them in anyway on behalf of Kobe, then you are letting your homerism cloud your judgement. Kobe is a great player/scorer, but that's all he is, he needs a stacked team to win because he doesn't have the leadership ability to make his teamates better, instead he gets under hs teamates skin and they dislike him. There is no reason this team should have the record it does, Kobe should've sacrificed his scoring the past two seasons for the betterment of his team, instead he wanted to try to win the league scoring title at his older age to prove to players like Lebron and Durant that he still has what it takes to be considered the best in the league, all the while these other guys are team oriented guys who want to win rings and have no problems sacrificing individual accomplishments for titles.
Don't blame D'antoni, don't blame Howard, don't blame old age, blame the supposed "leader" of this team who has failed to positively rally the troops to play good TEAM ball and be successfull in the process.

Oh and for the record lebron has never sacrificed his stats for the better of his team,it's always other guys doing that. Yet people still say he's all about winning. Kobe changed his game and incorporated pAu beautifully when he got here. Kobe is one of the few guys in the league that can get his and let other guys get theirs too. When Nash was Howard had just as many chances as he did when he was in Orlando,when pAu got here he got the same chances he did in Memphis. Nash is doing the same thing this year that he was in Phoenix last year,so save the bull and next time just post "I hate Kobe and I'm glad he's losing". Saves time and space
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#53 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 am

Kobe is responsible for Pau being softer than a big fluffy pair of panties? Lol mmmmkay!

And ya obv Dwight is only 70% at best. As mentioned above clearly Kobe's fault also. Jordan Hills season ender? On Kobe obv! All those missed Meeks and MWP jumpers? Blame Kobe! Bad economy? Blame Kobe! Father Time? Definitely on Kobe also! Damn Kobe!

Lock this garbage up please!!!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by leeprettyp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 am

AcecardZ wrote:Kobe is responsible for Pau being softer than a big fluffy pair of panties? Lol mmmmkay!

And ya obv Dwight is only 70% at best. As mentioned above clearly Kobe's fault also. Jordan Hills season ender? On Kobe obv! All those missed Meeks and MWP jumpers? Blame Kobe! Bad economy? Blame Kobe! Father Time? Definitely on Kobe also! Damn Kobe!

Trust I feel the frustration with this old boring topic
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#55 » by AcecardZ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 am

The single biggest reason the Lakers are struggling is Pau's awful play caused by his inexplicable wussification...
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#56 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:08 am

Outside of saying he should lead by example and play some D, I find this idea that he lacks leadership absurd considering he's always been this way and has won 5 titles. Also the Bynum and Howard things are taken way out of context.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#57 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 am

AcecardZ wrote:The single biggest reason the Lakers are struggling is Pau's awful play caused by his inexplicable wussification...

The Lakers have a worse record when he's not on the floor, so no he's not the biggest reason.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#58 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 am

I don't know why people keep thinking that the article is saying that Kobe's D is the main reason why we're losing when the article itself states that it's not. Having said that, Kobe might very well be the worst off ball perimeter defender in the game right now. He doesn't try at all anymore and I do agree with one point in that article. What kind of tone does it set for the rest of the team if its leader doesn't even try on D?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,414

Post#59 » by Slava » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 am

Thank you BasedDogg!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#60 » by Father Time » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:16 am

okay, criticizing kobe does not make you a hater. what makes a hater is being blatantly biased in how you criticize kobe. i haven't ever seen richboy say one good thing about kobe, not one. all he ever posts about is how kobe is destroying the team, how his defense is terrible, his shot selection is terrible, his leadership is terrible, his efficiency is terrible, i think you get the idea. i'm sorry but if you can't provide a balanced critique of kobe then yes you might be a hater. see how the article criticizes kobe? they give him credit for a historic offensive season, while at the same time pointing out how his defense needs to get better. that is a fair and balanced approach.

jvg criticizes him but also explains it's not all on kobe and he's one of the best ever. again, balanced.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers