ImageImageImageImage

Questions About Redick

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Questions About Redick 

Post#1 » by J the Drafter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 am

How was J.J. able to improve his body so significantly from when he was drafted? I'd have assumed that making the NBA required so much physical ability (regardless of skill) that draftees would already have maxed their athletic potential.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Re: Questions About Redick 

Post#2 » by blue and white » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 am

Phoenix has a great medical staff Orlando has a great weight training staff
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#3 » by damo[23] » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 am

College and NBA have very different levels firstly.

But more importantly, people (especially trained full time professional athletes) don't hit their peak until late 20's. Leaving college you've been in a "mature" body for maybe 4 or so years and still 4 or 5 years off hit that peak.

Once you come into any professional sport from the "amateur" side, there is going to be a significant difference between what you did and what you have available to you. NBA teams will put significant more time and money into their training schemes and staff. While the college level will have high budgets, the top end trainers will be going for pro teams (not just NBA, but talking NFL, MLB, NHL or probably more likely football since its the world largest sport with the most amount of money involved).

So at its most basic, its simply because players leaving college are not yet at their physical prime, and the NBA teams have much higher caliber of support to help them get there.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#4 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 am

With JJ he just went crazy in the gym working on his body and his game because he knew that's what it would take for him to stay in the league, get off the bench and be a contributor. He made huge strides on defense and with ball handling in particular which allowed Stan to actually start putting him in the game. His teammates and coaches say he is one of the most professional and dedicated players they have been around, so his improvement is no accident.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ReadyOrlando
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#5 » by ReadyOrlando » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:With JJ he just went crazy in the gym working on his body and his game because he knew that's what it would take for him to stay in the league, get off the bench and be a contributor. He made huge strides on defense and with ball handling in particular which allowed Stan to actually start putting him in the game. His teammates and coaches say he is one of the most professional and dedicated players they have been around, so his improvement is no accident.

Exactly why I would not trade him. JJ represents the epitome of the culture we're trying to build here.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#6 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:39 pm

J the Drafter wrote:How was J.J. able to improve his body so significantly from when he was drafted? I'd have assumed that making the NBA required so much physical ability (regardless of skill) that draftees would already have maxed their athletic potential.

Work, work, and more work.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#7 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:25 pm

craig01 wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:How was J.J. able to improve his body so significantly from when he was drafted? I'd have assumed that making the NBA required so much physical ability (regardless of skill) that draftees would already have maxed their athletic potential.

Work, work, and more work.

https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#8 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 am

How did he manage to get more handsome? I assumed he'd peaked in college, but like George Clooney, he just gets better with age....
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#9 » by arsenal6106 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 am

Bensational wrote:How did he manage to get more handsome? I assumed he'd peaked in college, but like George Clooney, he just gets better with age....

Let them know how you feel here for the NBA-All Handsome Team. :lol:

It's a travesty that it took 3 pages for someone to mention JJ Redick.

NBA-All Handsome Team
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1225742&p=34292940
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#10 » by drsd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 am

arsenal6106 wrote:It's a travesty that it took 3 pages for someone to mention JJ Redick.

magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#11 » by magicmamma » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 pm

I don't think JJ is more handsome than he was a few years ago, perhaps a little less. I do think we have the best-looking sg rotation in the league with JJ and Aaron.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#12 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 pm

magicmamma wrote:I don't think JJ is more handsome than he was a few years ago, perhaps a little less. I do think we have the best-looking sg rotation in the league with JJ and Aaron.

It's difficult for me to comment, but every time I see Afflalo, part of me harkens back to Megamind.

https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Hon-essim
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Hon-essim » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 am

The forum won't like this but it's not JJ or the staff, it's SVG.

Compare Hedo to his younger years and Hedo is less fit even during his clutch Magic years. SVG taught Hedo how to sacrifice his body and play more physical though. You can't easily teach that physicality even if it's just a subtle bump on players who have already formed a particular style.

There are two common player patterns between the Heat SVG and Orlando SVG.

1) Haslem under SVG played like Dwight but with more Bass jumpshots and the Haslem's build requires him to play more like Gortat but unlike Marcin, both Haslem and Dwight had a jump in physical reputation, hard nosed D and rebounds.

2) Redick played like Wade (development years) but where Stan hid Redick and developed Lee earlier in his career with that run to the basket, Redick was kept entirely as a long term project until around the must win Orlando years where VC did not pan out. Redick had less instinct for the style but better range while Wade had poor shooting but both dramatically shot up in reputation as leaders when the reckless drive and dish instincts were their main weapons to control the tempo for their team until that part of the game molded to their projected skill improvements as later seasons went. (Redick in the playoffs against Boston had no semblance of playing like a shooter or playing like Ryan Anderson despite turning the ball over and over again and sometimes suprising the Boston d. That's the same consistency he showed against Indiana only now the Anderson spots came in.)

You still need the staff but without SVG, they are different physical players without SVG. It's not the first time that it has happened for the cream of the crop coaches.

Physicality alone,

Stan holds that signature one of a kind resume for 5 players: championship Wade (wasn't being coached but the year the Heat won despite the phantom fouls, Wade played like how he played during the previous playoffs), Hedo, Redick, Dwight and Ryan. Lee was on his way before getting traded.

PJ holds the resume for Pippen, Gasol, Odom and Fisher.

Rick Carlisle made his mark on Tyson Chandler and Barea

Pops has Jefferson, Ginobili and (maybe) Duncan.

I'm not talking about just random improvements in players. I'm talking about consistency meeting hard workers who radically change their game for a while, added parts of the game to their skills and became more physically imposing players as a result above and beyond their project.

Ryan's break out year, Orlando was rumored to be testing a form of boxing out the shoulders in a ring before going to a court and shooting while the arms were tired.

Carlisle made Chandler defend on D like Rik Smits and added to Chandler's first ever consistent seasons as a lock down big.

Before Bass, Haslem was given the same jump spots but positioned like Dwight without the blocks on D.

Pops really grilled Richard Jefferson in his 2nd season with the Spurs.

All great coaches have schemes and usually great training staff but the really great defensive coaches with championship player development skills have a way of leaving this mark on their players so long as they are coaching them.

Unfortunately this means from here on out Redick is doomed to have a slightly better than Courtney Lee physical decline (the skills will still be there, the body will still look stay in shape). He looks ok now only because whenever a d coach leaves, players tend to open up and do well in the regular season before falling short in the playoffs but unless he finds himself in at least an above average team soon, seasons from now you'll be asking what's wrong with JJ and why did he decline rapidly and regress into a shooter and there's nothing any decent coach can do about it. Not Dwight level decline but post-George Karl Melo, post-Larry Brown Chauncey and Rip and post-PJ Kobe (except JJ won't totally abandon the d) but definitely the pattern of threads will mimic Wade's decline thread the most and if he's still with Orlando, you won't see many snarky posters act so obvious about the whole thing. SVG's practice sessions would not be so reknowned if Orlando simply had a great "weight training" staff.

Ryan's already showing some signs of "laziness" (relative to last season) despite having a decent (maybe good) year.
Gerhalt11 wrote:What? He produces better results than he should? Fire that guy!

No coach. No GM. Probably no star. I swear, in my 23 years of following this team, I can't name a stranger time than this moment to be a supporter of the Magic.

Return to Orlando Magic