ImageImageImageImage

Magic "have expressed interest" in trading for Rudy Gay

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Re: Magic "have expressed interest" in trading for Rudy Gay 

Post#61 » by AhaAha » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 am

Lol @that trade... Houston gets absolutely screwed...
Look at Parsons numbers..he might be s little worse than Rudy Gay but he is still young and makes like 1Mil for 3 more years and on top of that they give up almost all their promising rookies?
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#62 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 am

Afflalo and Gay put up similar numbers, Afflalo is alot cheaper, as said by hoopsworld Orlandos involvement is probably just as a 3rd team and attempting to get youth/picks in return.

I rather wait 1 more year before attempting to acquire a 2nd tier star, the 2014 draft is most likely our best shot at a franchise player, in the meantime we should continue adding quality young players and picks. I don't want to give up a shot at Wiggins/Parker/Hill by trading for overpaid players who are good, but not great
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#63 » by Viper1500 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 am

MagicFan32 wrote:I don't want to give up a shot at Wiggins/Parker/Hill by trading for overpaid players who are good, but not great

I'd have to assume Hennigan has a much similar idea, based on the trades/signings he's done thus far.
AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Post#64 » by AhaAha » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 am

It's all about value at this stage of our rebuild. Can we buy low and sell high.
I think Gay is a great player and not so long ago Cleveland wanted to trade the No4 pick for him. ( in a weak draft though )
There are only a few great players around the league and the chance to trade for one is slim.

That said i prefer to tank too and hope we hit a homerun in the draft.
ZeusIsLoose
Senior
And1: 234

Post#65 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:
ucfmay2000 wrote:I don't think Orlando is interested in Gay, they might move him to other team for young players. Houston might be interested in Gay. http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-nba-tr ... et-update/

How is about this trade?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ayt4njt

Not bad. I'd bite.

Giving up 5 guys for one overrated player??? yeah....... that makes sense, not.
ZeusIsLoose
Senior

Post#66 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Can we please stop talking about Rudy Fcking Gay? Are you all high off that sht Otis was smoking all those years? Wake up people. This is a new era. The point is to get RID of bad contracts, not take on them. Gay is not a long term answer.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#67 » by tiderulz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:Can we please stop talking about Rudy Fcking Gay? Are you all high off that sht Otis was smoking all those years? Wake up people. This is a new era. The point is to get RID of bad contracts, not take on them. Gay is not a long term answer.

can you understand that some people see getting Gay as getting a tradeable asset to be moved to another team, not necessarily staying on the Magic. If you dont like the subject, dont click on it.
ZeusIsLoose
Senior

Post#68 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ZeusIsLoose wrote:Can we please stop talking about Rudy Fcking Gay? Are you all high off that sht Otis was smoking all those years? Wake up people. This is a new era. The point is to get RID of bad contracts, not take on them. Gay is not a long term answer.

can you understand that some people see getting Gay as getting a tradeable asset to be moved to another team, not necessarily staying on the Magic. If you dont like the subject, dont click on it.

Yes, I totally agree with that. But there are some people on this discussion that think he is an asset that will contribute this year. If we are active in trades, it wont be to make the team better this year. its about the future. I was trying to say that anyone that thinks of getting Gay to be on a "2 year contract", as one person put it, are not seeing the bigger picture. Trading Afflalo for Gay? Afflalo averages the same and is shooting better. The only reason to get Gay is to move him somewhere else for better picks and youth.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#69 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

As intriguing as Gay sounds, I would not want another Shard or Hedo like contract. Henny is supposedly a cap guru and if so, he probably is not even considering Gay. Just fans and media folk talking because there is nothing else to talk about.

I doubt the Magic would even consider Gay unless it involves Harrington/Hedo and a smaller contract like Ayon.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#70 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Posted this question in the speculation thread earlier, but thought it might be more appropriate here:

Has anyone else heard the rumors about Jameer maybe going to Memphis in a Rudy Gay trade? From what I hear, we wouldn't get Gay, but we would absorb salary for a third team in exchange for picks. Heard it on the radio, don't know if it is an actual rumor of a guy just throwing crap against a wall.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#71 » by Neon1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:Yes, I totally agree with that. But there are some people on this discussion that think he is an asset that will contribute this year. If we are active in trades, it wont be to make the team better this year. its about the future. I was trying to say that anyone that thinks of getting Gay to be on a "2 year contract", as one person put it, are not seeing the bigger picture. Trading Afflalo for Gay? Afflalo averages the same and is shooting better. The only reason to get Gay is to move him somewhere else for better picks and youth.

Whats the bigger picture i am missing? I asume you mean me since i said it. If you traded for Rudy Gay right now or after the season, it is exactly what i said, the same as signing him to a 2-2.5 year deal. He is 26 years old and a all star level talent.

Is the "bigger picture" to HOPE we hit the #1 pick? The draft is for losers, point blank. Do you want to be the farm team wasting years and years losing and "developing" players to have them walk or be forced to trade them away to all the "winning franchises" when they finally hit the prime (since by now they are sick and tired of losing)?

I'd much rather be the guys taking OTHER teams talent when they are already at thier prime level, then the idiot wasting away year after year getting them ready for the team with "greener" pastures.

If championships are all about the draft, why do these teams in the high lotto almost ALWAYS stay there? Year after year after year. Free agency, Bank robber trades (getting talent for "flexibility") and then trades is what the true contender franchises (year after year) are made really of.

The Clippers are example #1. Sucked lotto balls for probably 17 of the last 20 years. They are nothing until the CP3 trade.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#72 » by KillMonger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 pm

i don't get the argument here, soon enough we'll have the flexibility to have high draft picks and explore Free Agency and trades so what's the problem?
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#73 » by Horcy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Damn, we are definitely suffering abstinence syndrome for trades.
I would really prefer to wait after this season, I wanna have Big Baby and Al Harrington back.
I don't see Gay as a great trade asset.
In Henningham we trust!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#74 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Fans play the trading game like it is NBA Live 2k13 and make mad trades when in real life most teams don't even make trades every year. But, in video game life, there are multiple trades every season.

FYI. Most teams try to develop talent over time before making necessary changes.

I wouldn't doubt if no changes are made before the trade deadline and Vaughn gets to let these players develop into their roles on the court.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#75 » by Horcy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Fans play the trading game like it is NBA Live 2k13 and make mad trades when in real life most teams don't even make trades every year. But, in video game life, there are multiple trades every season.

FYI. Most teams try to develop talent over time before making necessary changes.

I wouldn't doubt if no changes are made before the trade deadline and Vaughn gets to let these players develop into their roles on the court.

That's freaking true. I can't play an entire season on NBA2k13 without making a small and stupid trade, or signing a free agent . And I try!!!! :lol: :lol:

P.S: Man, your new avatar rocks so fucxxx much 8-)
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#76 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 am

Horcy wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Fans play the trading game like it is NBA Live 2k13 and make mad trades when in real life most teams don't even make trades every year. But, in video game life, there are multiple trades every season.

That's freaking true. I can't play an entire season on NBA2k13 without making a small and stupid trade, or signing a free agent . And I try!!!! :lol: :lol:

P.S: Man, your new avatar rocks so fucxxx much 8-)

Thanks! I had many laughs while making it!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ZeusIsLoose
Senior

Post#77 » by ZeusIsLoose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Neon1 wrote:
ZeusIsLoose wrote:Yes, I totally agree with that. But there are some people on this discussion that think he is an asset that will contribute this year. If we are active in trades, it wont be to make the team better this year. its about the future. I was trying to say that anyone that thinks of getting Gay to be on a "2 year contract", as one person put it, are not seeing the bigger picture. Trading Afflalo for Gay? Afflalo averages the same and is shooting better. The only reason to get Gay is to move him somewhere else for better picks and youth.

Whats the bigger picture i am missing? I asume you mean me since i said it. If you traded for Rudy Gay right now or after the season, it is exactly what i said, the same as signing him to a 2-2.5 year deal. He is 26 years old and a all star level talent.

Is the "bigger picture" to HOPE we hit the #1 pick? The draft is for losers, point blank. Do you want to be the farm team wasting years and years losing and "developing" players to have them walk or be forced to trade them away to all the "winning franchises" when they finally hit the prime (since by now they are sick and tired of losing)?

I'd much rather be the guys taking OTHER teams talent when they are already at thier prime level, then the idiot wasting away year after year getting them ready for the team with "greener" pastures.

If championships are all about the draft, why do these teams in the high lotto almost ALWAYS stay there? Year after year after year. Free agency, Bank robber trades (getting talent for "flexibility") and then trades is what the true contender franchises (year after year) are made really of.

The Clippers are example #1. Sucked lotto balls for probably 17 of the last 20 years. They are nothing until the CP3 trade.

I never said the bigger picture is to lose. Not sure where you got that from. All i said is we need to stock pile on draft picks and promising young players. THATS THE BIGGER PICTURE. If you can land a stud FA in the process, thats an added bonus. Rudy Gay's massive contract is not worth what he produces (similar scoring numbers as Afflalo but worst shooting %). the only way i see us getting Gay would be to get rid of JJ. Doing that, you are sacrificing your bench, while adding a 17 mil contract. The only way i would ever want to see Gay on this team is if Mem took back Turks contract, and NO ONE wants him, especially now that he is hurt.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#78 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:58 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:

I never said the bigger picture is to lose. Not sure where you got that from. All i said is we need to stock pile on draft picks and promising young players. THATS THE BIGGER PICTURE. If you can land a stud FA in the process, thats an added bonus. Rudy Gay's massive contract is not worth what he produces (similar scoring numbers as Afflalo but worst shooting %). the only way i see us getting Gay would be to get rid of JJ. Doing that, you are sacrificing your bench, while adding a 17 mil contract. The only way i would ever want to see Gay on this team is if Mem took back Turks contract, and NO ONE wants him, especially now that he is hurt.

Two things:

1) Gay's value is not just stats. He is an elite defender. But, I agree his contract is just too massive.

2) Harrington or Turks contract. I prefer Harrington's contract because there is more guaranteed money on his contract.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
magic_turk
Veteran
And1: 4

Post#79 » by magic_turk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Could it beeee ? :o

A TPE that may finally be put to use lol

Return to Orlando Magic