ImageImage

Brandon Jennings: Eastern Conference Player of Week

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Re: Brandon Jennings: Eastern Conference Player of Week 

Post#61 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:40 am

cellomac1212 wrote:Your scoring issues are not due to two inefficient guards, it is due to having a team that doesn't shoot well and lacks scorers at almost every other position.

Alright sure, but our offense isn't what is winning most games, it's our defense. You want an offensive minded guy you have to offset any minute that Sanders or LRMAM isn't getting on the court and I'd say their defensive impact is better then say an Andrea Bargnani. If you get an efficient scorer at those positions it certainly would help, but you're pointing out that efficiency isn't the issue which just isn't true at all. Glen Davis is fixing our woes because he can score. So are all our offensive woes on our inefficient guards? No. But they are a HUGE part in it.

Also, our shooting woes can be attributed a lot towards Monta. Having a wing player play 40 minutes who can't shoot at all hurts your shooting a lot.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
cellomac1212
Assistant Coach
And1: 53

Post#62 » by cellomac1212 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
cellomac1212 wrote:Your scoring issues are not due to two inefficient guards, it is due to having a team that doesn't shoot well and lacks scorers at almost every other position.

Alright sure, but our offense isn't what is winning most games, it's our defense. You want an offensive minded guy you have to offset any minute that Sanders or LRMAM isn't getting on the court and I'd say their defensive impact is better then say an Andrea Bargnani. If you get an efficient scorer at those positions it certainly would help, but you're pointing out that efficiency isn't the issue which just isn't true at all. Glen Davis is fixing our woes because he can score. So are all our offensive woes on our inefficient guards? No. But they are a HUGE part in it.

Also, our shooting woes can be attributed a lot towards Monta. Having a wing player play 40 minutes who can't shoot at all hurts your shooting a lot.

While he may not be a better shooter in the game, he is a better scorer in the game. And basketball is about creating a balance of offense and defense. Your best bet would be to get a defender in place of one of your other 3 that can score as well, but those are hard to find... So in turn you have two players basically creating the entirety of a 5 man offense. Inefficiency should be expected... However, their play (which may make you want to throw up) is still netting you a positive record which according to every stat seems nearly impossible. I mean really, how can you score less points then you give up and still maintain a record over .500??? The stats may not be good, the look of the game may not be good, but the end result is one of the best you can hope for with the talent you have (more wins than losses). I'm sure you can find more efficient players than the two, but does that make the Bucks a better team??? The problem I have with stats that promote efficiency is that they make people overlook actual talent. The best way to win in basketball is still to put the best players possible on the floor. When people think Hinrich is better than Monta or BJ because of his advanced stats, they are using flawed logic. The stats are a measurement of performance under certain standards, but should never be used to draw a conclusion of who a better player is. That happens around here (not just the Bucks board, but RealGM) way too much...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,839

Post#63 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 am

ampd wrote:His problem is that he has a tendency to have horrific nightmare games way too often when he isn't playing at a high level, and its often enough that it cancels out a lot of the good he does in the other games.

I'm fine if he has bad shooting nights. Jason Kidd had plenty of those too.

The problem is that he plays PG and not SG or SF. His job is to quarterback the team and get the ball to guys where they can score. To break down the defense and then dish. To be able to use speed and ball handling ability to get to the rim and finish. Those are all the things you want your PG to be able to do.

As the graphic tonight said, the Bucks are 8-0 when Jennings has 9 or more assists. He's got to get better at those traditional PG skills because we can find a streaky shooter to play wing if we want to win games based on scorers going off.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#64 » by ampd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
ampd wrote:His problem is that he has a tendency to have horrific nightmare games way too often when he isn't playing at a high level, and its often enough that it cancels out a lot of the good he does in the other games.

I'm fine if he has bad shooting nights. Jason Kidd had plenty of those too.

The problem is that he plays PG and not SG or SF. His job is to quarterback the team and get the ball to guys where they can score. To break down the defense and then dish. To be able to use speed and ball handling ability to get to the rim and finish. Those are all the things you want your PG to be able to do.

As the graphic tonight said, the Bucks are 8-0 when Jennings has 9 or more assists. He's got to get better at those traditional PG skills because we can find a streaky shooter to play wing if we want to win games based on scorers going off.

Oh yeah I agree. It seems like the only times he gets fully involved are the games where he is also shooting well and scoring. It is a big problem that he tends to disappear in other ways when he isn't also getting his offense.
Quiet-Dude
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#65 » by Quiet-Dude » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:23 am

hey guys very very offtopic...but what happened to joel pryzbilla and drew gooden?
Klaw basketball
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#66 » by ampd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 am

racking up the DNP CDs
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#67 » by 9abovetherim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
cellomac1212 wrote:Two "Player of the Week" threads dedicated to bashing Monta... Hilarious...

When you have it all, you have it all.

“To be honest, I would put myself in the same category as D-Wade. I mean, at the end of the day, the only thing that he has that I don’t have is more wins and two championships. That’s it. As far as playing at the same level? Competing every night? Both ends? Shooting inside and outside? Fast break? Transition? Monta Ellis have it all.”

signed
– Monta Ellis.
Quiet-Dude
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#68 » by Quiet-Dude » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

ampd wrote:racking up the DNP CDs

thanks. :lol: wow
Klaw basketball
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#69 » by El Duderino » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 pm

cellomac1212 wrote:
Jennings impacts wins more than any other player on the Bucks. Bucks have a good shot at winning when he plays well. He's played well in half the games and you guys have won about half the games. He's learning as he goes and will become better over time. He's learning while dealing with the highest competition in basketball. He would probably be further along if he went to college but his progression is still decent to say the least.

This i don't agree with and is why i don't want Jennings given a large extension.

Brandon is in his fourth season and just look at his numbers, he hasn't regressed or improved noticeably since his rookie year. He's largely the same player. It's not just the stats for me either because in watching him over these four seasons, there hasn't been any clear improvement in any aspect of his game. He's still incredibly reliant on his jumper falling for him to be productive in a given game, especially his three point jumper which he takes a lot of.

In fact, it's pretty amazing just how near identical Jennings stats have been across the board from year to year.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#70 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 am

Kenny & Charles have Brandon on their list of guys who should be an All-Star reserve. :D
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#71 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 am

Max Green wrote:Kenny & Charles have Brandon on their list of guys who should be an All-Star reserve. :D

Over who? I mean just point guards I'd say Irving and Holiday deserve it more.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#72 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 am

Max Green wrote:Kenny & Charles have Brandon on their list of guys who should be an All-Star reserve. :D

But would Kenny and Charles want to play with Brandon Jennings should they still be actively in the league?

Max Green
RealGM

Post#73 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:

Over who? I mean just point guards I'd say Irving and Holiday deserve it more.

Charles had Brandon and Holiday as his reserve PG's, I believe Kenny had Deron and Brandon. Irving isn't gonna make it because of his team record. Like it or not, team record plays a part when picking All-Star reserves.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#74 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 am

Well, it would be nice to get an all star here deserving or not.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#75 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Well, it would be nice to get an all star here deserving or not.

So what you're saying is you'd like us to have to match a $48 million dollar offer versus a $40 million dollar one. 8-)

An ASG designation would further embolden Kohl to keep him around long term.

Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#76 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Well, it would be nice to get an all star here deserving or not.

So what you're saying is you'd like us to have to match a $48 million dollar offer versus a $40 million dollar one. 8-)

An ASG designation would further embolden Kohl to keep him around long term.

I guess that's a way to look at it. I wouldn't sign him to the smaller of the two anyways.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#77 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 am

Irving
Holiday
George
Deng
Pierce
Bosh
Chandler

Those would probably be my East reserves.
Max Green
RealGM

Post#78 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Irving
Holiday
George
Deng
Pierce
Bosh
Chandler

I pretty much agree with that list except I would have Jennings over Irving.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#79 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 am

Max Green wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Irving
Holiday
George
Deng
Pierce
Bosh
Chandler

I pretty much agree with that list except I would have Jennings over Irving.

I don't agree with that at all. I'd say Irving is the most deserving guard out of anyone to get the reserve and if you want to site records, Williams would get in over Jennings.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#80 » by mattg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 am

I know he's hurt but varejao deserves a mention.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks