ImageImageImage

MIN - WAS Nene?!?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,812

MIN - WAS Nene?!? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Wizards fans are very interested in Derrick Williams.

verbal8 wrote:
tontoz wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:
What ever happened to all those 'trade for Derrick Williams' rants?

If i remember right back before the 2011 draft some people were saying trade McGee + 6th pick for the 2nd pick which would be DWill. If we could go back in time i would take that deal in a heartbeat. McGee isn't here and if we make that deal Vesely and Nene (with his huge contract) wouldn't be here either.

So far this season DWill's per 36 numbers are 18/9 with a TS% of 53%.

Couldn't we trade Nene(traded McGee to get him) and Vesely(6th pick) and get Derrick Williams?

They would have to throw in filler like Roy and another contract.

MIN GETS: Nene + Vesely
WAS GETS: Derrick Williams + Roy + Steimsma

Nene: $13/year .. no raises through 2016. I like the idea of adding a third, starter-worthy PF/C, but even though you have to pay for size, is he worth this much money?

23.5 mpg, FG .492, 6.3 RPG, 12.2 PPG - 19.9 PER

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nene/
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Re: MIN - WAS Nene?!? 

Post#2 » by shrink » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Let me also add that many over on the Wizards board believe they'd give up anything except for Wall, Beal or their pick to get Williams. Granted, everything else is worth a lot less, but if Glen Taylor really wants to win this season, the Wizards may be one of the few teams that's willing to do a massive trade right now. I don't see many other teams that would value Williams as highly, nor be willing to gut their team right now -- and we need to act fast before we dig such a big hole we can't get out of it.

I played with it a bit, and this works financially from MIN's end, if we get creative in the two trades we make:

MIN GETS: Nene, Seraphin, J Crawford, Veseley, Courtney Lee
MIN GIVE: Derrick Williams, Barea, Steimsma, Roy, Amundson

WAS GIVES: Nene, Seraphin, J Crawford, Veseley
WAS GETS: Derrick Williams, Barea, Steimsma, Roy, Amundson

BOS GIVES: Courtney Lee
BOS GETS: Barea
(or Ridnour, if WAS will take Malcolm Lee)

This completely re-writes our weakest positions:

Rubio/Ridnour
C. Lee/Shved/J Crawford/(M Lee)
Kirilenko/Veseley/(Buddinger)
Nene/Cunningham/(Love)
Pekovic/Seraphin

Next year MIN goes into the lux by bringing back Pek and Buddinger, uses the pick, and maybe doesn't use the MLE.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 146

Post#3 » by bluethunder0005 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

He gets paid too much for how little I think he'd improve the team. I'm all for getting a good backup PF/C but not until after we've got a SG. I also don't want to make any trades that will just keep us mediocre while Love is out for the next 2 months. I'd rather just deal with this year being an injury riddled one and see if we can move Williams + a likely top 10 pick for an actual SG.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Nene has way too long of a contract. When he starts his decline it'll be a bad contract. I'm guessing a year or two.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#5 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 am

Wall and Beal are going to be such a good backcourt for years to come. The Wizards have a bright future
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#6 » by NewWolvesOrder » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm

I'd go for Williams for Seraphin plus filler swap.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#7 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I think Nene is a very good player, but his offensive fit with the Wolves offense is a little questionable. Defensively, I think he would fit fine. Not sure if 4 more years at $13 per is worth it for someone in his 30s who isn't a perfect fit. I'd probably pass if we need to give up Williams in the deal.
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:I think Nene is a very good player, but his offensive fit with the Wolves offense is a little questionable. Defensively, I think he would fit fine. Not sure if 4 more years at $13 per is worth it for someone in his 30s who isn't a perfect fit. I'd probably pass if we need to give up Williams in the deal.

Good point Biff, and I imagine we would have to give up Williams. Ted Leonsis loves Nene's flexibility, but I agree with you guys on his valuation with a contract at this size and length.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#9 » by willbcocks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:12 am

Wiz Fan Here:

Nene's the best player we've had on the Wizards since Gilbert Arenas blew out his knee. But I've long wanted to trade him because I think we need to continue rebuilding and not sign older players.

Nene is an excellent passer, draws a lot of fouls/free throws, and is great at iniating the offense on the pick and roll and posting up. I don't watch the wolves enough to know what your offense is like, but Nene seems like the type of player who could fit into most offenses.

He does not play above the rim, so I don't think he'll decline that quickly. His contract is substantial, but not on the cap-killer level (i.e., Boozer, Amare). If the Wiz were further along in our rebuild, I'd keep him, but as it is I would look for a trade that clears our cap and nets us a late-lottery pick (11-15) or talent.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves