ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#541 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

fishercob wrote:I wouldn't turn down a great PG prospect were he available. Unpopular as it may be, going in a different direction at the point and trading Wall before we commit big money to him at least has to be considered.

The never-ending rebuild....Why, when Wall and Beal seem to compliment each other so well?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#542 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm

fishercob wrote:I wouldn't turn down a great PG prospect were he available. Unpopular as it may be, going in a different direction at the point and trading Wall before we commit big money to him at least has to be considered.

i wouldn't either. Draft Marcus Smart if he's there and considered BPA, and figure the rest out later. Same if the player is CJ McCollum who is a different kind of PG, but nonetheless a great player.

I would prefer Alex Len, I THINK, but I'm not sure.
Bye bye Beal.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#543 » by dandrews » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

jivelikenice wrote:

The never-ending rebuild....Why, when Wall and Beal seem to compliment each other so well?

Because everyone loves the unknown rookie. The uncertainty that a rookie may be better than what we have, when in reality, probabilities show the opposite is true.

Like you said, it's a perpetual rebuild. In this case, if you're right the team improves slightly. If you're wrong the franchise is set back at least 5 years. That's an Ernie Grunfield move, and a move that I figured people here would be smarter than.

So what if Marcus Smart will be amazing. How many more wins at 15 mpg behind John Wall is he worth over Noel or Shabazz at 35 minutes per game. What if Smart is amazing until we trade Wall and he turns into Darren Collinson? There is plenty of front court talent in this draft. The key is to find it, draft it, and use them to compliment Wall and Beal, not replace them.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#544 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Only reason the Wizards are in a perpetual rebuild is because they keep screwing up in the player acquisition/evaluation process. The roster oughta churn until they find guys who can play. Wall MIGHT be a building block, but he has to improve.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#545 » by montestewart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Nivek wrote:Only reason the Wizards are in a perpetual rebuild is because they keep screwing up in the player acquisition/evaluation process. The roster oughta churn until they find guys who can play. Wall MIGHT be a building block, but he has to improve.

Look at the roster after Beal and Wall: highly paid/overpaid vets that don't figure into the future, backup vet journeymen, young players that haven't proven, and most never will. This team is rebuilding (or should be) whether Wall stays or goes.
Floater
Junior
And1: 43

Post#546 » by Floater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Yeah, we're not drafting a PG with a lottery pick. Not matter how much you'd guys like to take one and trade Wall, it's not gonna happen. It just won't. Not even worth talking about something that will never happen. I say we concentrate on talking about frontcourt players.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#547 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think the Wiz have screwed up by going for a certain position. They've managed to screw up in more creative ways - in evaluating players, making not so clever decisions, and doing a poor job of developing players.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#548 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

i wouldn't either. Draft Marcus Smart if he's there and considered BPA, and figure the rest out later. Same if the player is CJ McCollum who is a different kind of PG, but nonetheless a great player.

I would prefer Alex Len, I THINK, but I'm not sure.

I like Smart much more than McCollum. This is McCollum's 4th year, and he's still shooting under 50% of his 2's, and it's the first year he's been dynamic from the college 3. His A/TO ratios are poor for a PG, and his steals and FT attempts have gone down a bit. And he's got that tweener size. Nothing about him really stands out to me.

One feast or famine player to look out for is Jamaal Franklin - a big guard with great athletic ability and a motor, but he's too... hyper. He turns the ball over a ton and shoots too much, but he really fills up a box score and gets to the line a lot. How many guards (or forwards, for that matter) average 10.1 rebounds a game (8.6 defensive), and he gets blocks and steals, assists. Thing is - he's got to be in an organization that understands how to develop young players - develop his decision-making, maturity, and shooting, and that's not the Zards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#549 » by popper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Anyone heard anything about our second round pick last year? Is he playing? Is he improving to the extent he could join the team next season?
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#550 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

popper wrote:Anyone heard anything about our second round pick last year? Is he playing? Is he improving to the extent he could join the team next season?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC7F1Sqq_I0[/youtube]

Not really too much to say...but their commentators are **** hysterical.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#551 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm

popper wrote:Anyone heard anything about our second round pick last year? Is he playing? Is he improving to the extent he could join the team next season?

I haven't studied international hoops much, but at a first look, his stats don't look impressive. In my system, his per minute production is significantly lower than it would be for an average NBA player, although production norms may be different in Eurocup or ACB. His per game numbers: 11.6 pts, 3.5 reb, 4.3 ast, 1.1 stl, 3.4 tov in 30.6 mpg. His shooting percentages aren't good -- .483 from 2pt range; .266 from 3pt range.

So...can't shoot with range, commits a lot of turnovers...he'll fit in right in.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#552 » by Jay81 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Nivek wrote:

I haven't studied international hoops much, but at a first look, his stats don't look impressive. In my system, his per minute production is significantly lower than it would be for an average NBA player, although production norms may be different in Eurocup or ACB. His per game numbers: 11.6 pts, 3.5 reb, 4.3 ast, 1.1 stl, 3.4 tov in 30.6 mpg. His shooting percentages aren't good -- .483 from 2pt range; .266 from 3pt range.

So...can't shoot with range, commits a lot of turnovers...he'll fit in right in.

Ernie has managed to draft the only 3 white players in Europe who cant shoot
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#553 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm

nuposse04 wrote:Not really too much to say...but their commentators are **** hysterical.

Actually sounds like a bunch of guys in their living room taping themselves while watching the game on TV. LOL
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#554 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Satoransky's career 3pt% for Sevilla (2009-10 through this season) is .324, BUT it's a little deceiving. He shot the lights out in 2010-11 -- .420 from 3pt range. The last two seasons, he's shot .271 from 3pt range.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#555 » by popper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for info on Satoransky. I wish we could have gotten Crowder. It makes me want to puke. He better not screw up our second rounders this year. Hopefully he'll be in the wind by then.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#556 » by DCZards » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 pm

popper wrote:Thanks for info on Satoransky. I wish we could have gotten Crowder. It makes me want to puke. He better not screw up our second rounders this year. Hopefully he'll be in the wind by then.

I can't think of any of the second round guys that have been that impressive...including Crowder. The two guys I'd probably opt for from the second round are Draymond Green (smart, high motor, an NBA body, toughness) and Doron Lamb (I like his potential as a shooter).
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#557 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Quincy Miller is just sitting on Denver's Bench, maybe they'd trade him hear for something for cheap. I mean he has Gallo, AI, Wilson Chandler, Corey Brewer and J. Hamilton in front of him...They're like the Rockets with regards to SFs.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#558 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 pm

DCZards wrote:
popper wrote:Thanks for info on Satoransky. I wish we could have gotten Crowder. It makes me want to puke. He better not screw up our second rounders this year. Hopefully he'll be in the wind by then.

I can't think of any of the second round guys that have been that impressive...including Crowder. The two guys I'd probably opt for from the second round are Draymond Green (smart, high motor, an NBA body, toughness) and Doron Lamb (I like his potential as a shooter).

Agree that no 2nd rounder has impressed, including Crowder. Lamb and Green have been significantly less productive than Crowder has been so far.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#559 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 am

I think there are a lot of big men who are going to fall to the second round that would be good pick ups.
Gorgui Dieng (6'11 245) 9 PPG 10 RPG 2 BPG 1 SPG
Dewayne Dedmon (7'0 250) 7 PPG 7 RPG 2 BPG 1 SPG
AJ Matthews (7'1 220) 23 PPG 14 RPG 58% FG% having trouble finding stat averages for him and not totals
P.S ( AJ is from a small school, Farmingdale State)
Kenny Kadji (6'11 240) 12 PPG 7 RPG 1BPG
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#560 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 am

I've always liked Beal's teammate down in Florida. Patric Young. I think Fish is also on his bandwagon since Fish was the first one (in my memory) to tip us off on Beal. His numbers are kind of pedestrian, but he's got this motor that I really respect.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards