ImageImageImage

Ak-47 Questions

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 383

Ak-47 Questions 

Post#1 » by pad300 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:33 am

1) Shamsports shows Kirilenko's 2nd year as a player option. Is this true?
2) Assuming it is true, he's having a great season, what are the odds he opts out? There are lots of team with cap space ( http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-wholl- ... e-in-2013/ ); he can probably get more than $10 million/1 year. Alternatively, he might want a better ring shot - LAC could give it to him, for example.
3) Assuming you look out of the post-season at the trade deadline, do you trade him or gamble on him staying?
4) If trading, what are you looking for?
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Re: Ak-47 Questions 

Post#2 » by Tirion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:50 am

1) Yes.

2) Odds are high. That's why he signed the 2 years contract in the first place, so he could have that option to get his last big pay day.

3) Nobody knows. Glen Taylor is selling the team. The plan was to create some noize and get into playoffs to drive up the value of the franchise, so he could get paid top dollar and still keep the team in Minnesota. But karma gods laughed at that plan. So he needs to decide what he wants to do: trade D-Will for immidiate help and fight for playoffs or dismantle the team again (trade AK + Love). Also chances of the team relocating are high too.

4) If Taylor decides to rebuild, they will probably look for picks, players on rookie deals.

The future is bleak.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#3 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 am

Chances of the team re-locating are slim to none :roll:

Kirilenko opting out is about 50/50 I'd say. And odds are Wolves would get a pretty fair crack at it, same with Pekovic. I don't think Kahn/Adelman/Taylor are looking to blow things up. This team has most of the parts of a solid play-off team besides the health.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Tirion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 am

[RCG] wrote:Kirilenko opting out is about 50/50 I'd say.

More like 99/1.

Why wouldn't he opt out?
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#5 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 am

Tirion wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Kirilenko opting out is about 50/50 I'd say.

More like 99/1.

Why wouldn't he opt out?

He either does or he doesn't :wink:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Post#6 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 am

I would be shocked if he doesn't opt out. The dude has shown to be better than he was when he left the NBA. The big money teams are going to be lining up to give him a good deal.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,580

Post#7 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 am

If he does opt-out, I think he'd do it to sign a more cap-friendly deal with us.

He likes it here. He likes Adelman's offense. I see no reason why he would leave.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am

Klomp wrote:If he does opt-out, I think he'd do it to sign a more cap-friendly deal with us.

He likes it here. He likes Adelman's offense. I see no reason why he would leave.

He doesn't see potential to win after this year?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 am

Murphs56 wrote:
Klomp wrote:If he does opt-out, I think he'd do it to sign a more cap-friendly deal with us.

I don't think he's as short-sighted as so many fans seem to be. This is a fluke season. This is not the cap on our potential to win.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 am

Klomp wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:

I don't think he's as short-sighted as so many fans seem to be. This is a fluke season. This is not the cap on our potential to win.

That would all depend on who's the owner and GM next year and if Adelman ever comes back
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Tirion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm

LOL, that's some serious case of denial, even for you.
If he does opt-out, he'd do it to get as much money and long-term security as possible.
I'm not saying he will not re-sign here, but if he does his deal will not be "cap-friendly".

And that's not even touching the Adelman's situation and the selling of the team.

Talk about short-sighted.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,977

Post#12 » by shrink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm

My guess is that he'd opt out of his last year, and try to get a 3-year, $25 mil contract.

I think Adelman would offer him that. He's been embraced here as the team MVP - he's always smiling, so I think that he likes that Adelman seems to let him do whatever he wants, and he's got Shved here to, if that helps. The team certainly needs his defense and overall utility.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Murphs56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Tirion wrote:

LOL, that's some serious case of denial, even for you.
If he does opt-out, he'd do it to get as much money and long-term security as possible.
I'm not saying he will not re-sign here, but if he does his deal will not be "cap-friendly".

And that's not even touching the Adelman's situation and the selling of the team.

Talk about short-sighted.

Yes, people do live in a fantasy world. What player in any sport hasn't opted out of a contract when they are having a great season. People usually only use it when they are having a bad season and know they won't get big money on the open market.
Tirion
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by Tirion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Looks like I was wrong:

Kirilenko has a player option for the next season worth $10.2 million and could decide to opt out in order to test the free agent waters, seek a long term contract with Minnesota or potentially secure a lucrative deal overseas to finish his career.

However, the eleven year NBA veteran says he’s absolutely certain he won’t be exercising the player option at season’s end and is intending on remaining in Minnesota.

“I’m going to stay in the NBA for sure,” Kirilenko told HOOPSWORLD. “There is no doubt about it. I like Minnesota and I like [head coach] Rick Adelman.”

“But we really need to get everyone back in the lineup,” Kirilenko added while admitting his frustration with Minnesota’s assortment of injuries this season. “It’s hard to play this way.”
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-kirile ... Kvvgbef.99

I'm pleasantly surprised. AK is a good guy.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

Tirion wrote:Looks like I was wrong:

Told ya so! :naaa: :D

jade_hippo
Starter

Post#16 » by jade_hippo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 am

gives me hope Pek will do a sweetheart deal too. I just don't see either of these guys fitting personality wise on another team as well as they do here.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#17 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 am

jade_hippo wrote:gives me hope Pek will do a sweetheart deal too. I just don't see either of these guys fitting personality wise on another team as well as they do here.

I can see Kirilenko on the Spurs...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 am

[RCG] wrote:
jade_hippo wrote:gives me hope Pek will do a sweetheart deal too. I just don't see either of these guys fitting personality wise on another team as well as they do here.

I can see Kirilenko on the Spurs...

Right, but in that scenario, he would likely be a backup. So why optout to go to SA and be a backup?

Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#19 » by Peezo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 am

shrink wrote:My guess is that he'd opt out of his last year, and try to get a 3-year, $25 mil contract.

This. I think he would opt out just for more years. But I do think he likes our team, city, coach, and he thrived in the smaller market of SLC so I don't think he'd long for LA or NY in that regard. Its nice have a lot of international flavor and a former teammate in Shved. That makes me think he would sign another deal with us.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 am

Is Adelman ever coming back is a good question. Of course for the AK situation but then again I don't know how much Terry Porter I can take

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves