ImageImageImageImage

Big Baby or Hickson?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Big Baby or Hickson? 

Post#1 » by didak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 am

Well?

Let's face it Big Baby won't be here for ever surely we could make a play for JJ Hickson and pair him up with Vuch?

Offload Big Baby in the deal. Not too familur with the contracts etc so more players will be needed but surely this could put us in a better position for our future? Providing Hickson's contract isn't overly high.

I do love Big Baby, but right now with the season starting to spark out for the Magic he needs to be showcased and I think we could possibly grab say a Hickson or a younger PF on the rise.
R I P - Kobe Bryant
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Re: Big Baby or Hickson? 

Post#2 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 am

Hickson is what he is & I don't see him getting any better.

Would rather just keep BBD & target somebody else.

*EDIT* dang didn't realize he was still only 24. (seems like he has been around awhile haha) Averaging 12 & 11 is def good, but I would still rather keep BBD or just give AN the starting role & let him get the PT.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#3 » by magicman123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 am

It depends on what direction Henny wants to go in, personally im not a big fan of Hickson, id rather keep big baby and his 2 year/$13mil contract...Hickson does have an expiring contract, so if Henny is looking to shed salary it would make some sense, if his goal was to trade and resign Hickson, i'd say no, i don't want to pay him a contract extension
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#4 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Hickson is a baller. the kid is one of the most efficient scorers in the post, particularly in terms of scoring off unassisted attempts. most of these are garbage points he racks up off offensive rebounds, but he's also quite crafty and athletic around the basket. he'll never be a star, but he's damn efficient at what he does. he's the kind of talent who could only up his value by joining us and being more than a 5th option in Portland.

i reckon a Hickson/Vuc tandem would be solid. they'd gobble the glass, and Hickson's got the athleticism and hustle to get a solid roaming defensive option.

not to mention the fact that Hickson's contract is up after this season. at the very least it would allow us to get out from under BBD's contract. but it could also open the door to a 24 year old who posted 16/10 for half the season last year, with a PER of 20+.

for the record, I wouldn't want to deviate from Nicholson being in the running as a long term option. that kid scores at a ridiculously high rate. but he needs to learn how to grab a rebound first.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#5 » by glennathan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 am

Do not forget that Hickson has a No Trade Clause in his contract so even if we tried to get him, he could just decline it.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#6 » by didak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 am

All good lads, was just wondering what the pro's and cons were surrounding Hickson cheers.
R I P - Kobe Bryant
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#7 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 am

He's not as good of a scorer as Big Baby is. He has a lot of potential though. It all depends on what kind front court we want long term and how the PF and C complement each other. I actually think Big Baby and Vooch do well together.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#8 » by trebone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 pm

He is going to cost much more than BBD when he gets the new deal, also he has bounced around the league quite a bit for a 24yo with his skill set. I am thinking alot of this years production comes with playing next to aldridge who is not a post player and also being a contract year, i think BBD brings more intangibles so id pass
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#9 » by drsd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

It is not trivial for a team to trade a co-captain. More is at stake than player abilities. Davis' role includes player mentoring.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#10 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Portland may be playoff bound. I doubt they trade Hickson unless they get an offer they cannot refuse. Thus, it would take too much to get him. Besides, I bet they resign him in the offseason for too much.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic