ImageImage

PG: Bucks beat Suns: THE STREAK IS OVER!!

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Re: PG: Bucks beat Suns: THE STREAK IS OVER!! 

Post#121 » by Max Green » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Through 38 (20-18):

O: 26th (102.1)
D: 7th (103.2)
Pace: 6th (93.9)
Expected W-L: 17th (.453, 37.1 wins over full season)
Actual W-L: T-14th (.526, 43.1 wins over full season)
RPI: 16th (.501)
SOS: 19th (.492)
SRS: 17th (-1.43)
PPG Differential: 17th (-1.11)
Hollinger Power Rank: 21st (97.612)
Hollinger Playoff Odds: 8th seed in East, 40-42

So according to our SRS or whatever that stat is called we are supposed to go 17-27 in our last 44 games to finish 37-45?
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#122 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

My thoughts on the game...

Ugly win, but I do like that they were resilient and got the win. After the 3rd quarter I didn't think we were going to win at all and they dug in.

Sanders is a beast, I think he has to be in the conversation for MIP and/or Defensive Player of the Year. Besides the blocked shots, he has plenty of alters and is a true factor around the rim.

This team is really sloppy at times. I thought Johnny Mac was going to lose his mind in that 2nd quarter.

Ellis is frustrating but him getting hot in the 4th quarter was key to the win.

Dunleavy is a just a steady good player, and his shooting is pure bliss.

I can't figure out Ersan...at all.

Once Henson "gets it" more, him and Sanders are going to be a feared combo.

Not pretty, but will take the win. Guarantees .500 road trip and maybe we can steal one at Portland.

ampd wrote:Like to see us win out until the Warriors game.

I have us losing on Saturday night, but in my predictions that I did mid-December I then have us winning the next 4. As inconsistent as we are, I can't see us mounting anything more than 2 wins in a row BUT I think it's not asking too much if the team wants to be higher than the 8th seed.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,844

Post#123 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Reading the Cellomac posts on Monta reminds me of when we had Payton here for his brief stint. We had all the GP fans who couldn't figure out why Payton just wasn't playing up to his career norms. They didn't really understand that Payton was on the downside big time until he got to the Lakers.

I don't think Monta is at that point, but his shooting keeps going down which is troubling not only for our team but for trade value.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#124 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:17 pm

A win is a win, I guess. And its been 24 years, so I should be happy. But what a gross basketball game. So hard on the eyes. Boylan's rotations might be more frustrating than Skiles'. Why not just play the 9 guys you played in your 2-0 start as head coach? Ugh. If Larry or Ersan or Epke or Henson foul out, then go to guys like Dalembert and Gooden. But don't mix in all six bigs early in the game.

Does Marquis Daniels do anything well? I tried to watch him, and him alone, while he was on the floor to see what I might be missing. I can't see it. On offense, he's dreadful. On defense, he fell behind a couple screens, lost his man, and ended up giving him wide open jumpers. This happened at least three times. I just don't understand the draw to playing him. Luckily, this Phoenix team was brutally bad. Larry and Dunleavy were great. Monta and Brandon were good and bad. Thought Beno played really well. Ugly, ugly game.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#125 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:Jon: And you know, Jim, you were a rookie when we had the last win here and this one is also significant for both of us....for reasons...."

Hmm...

Oh please tell me they're both retiring. Please please please please.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#126 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I love Jonny Mac. Gonna be a sad day to see him retire.

You guys that complain about him probably haven't seen too many opponents telecasts because I'd take Mac any day of the week and twice on Sunday over almost anyone in the biz.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#127 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

I really don't mind Paschke and Johnny Mac, especially Mac. He truly is passionate about the team, good sense of humor, and think he knows the game pretty well. I understand he's redundant at times with "there is a window", etc but he knows that.

Paschke is a little more of the company guy if you will and sometimes is a little too much, but his actual play by play is pretty good for local stuff and he cares about the team/job as well.

As for Monta, I still think there are teams that would value him but I wouldn't hang on to him much longer. I think if you get a good deal in the next few weeks, you have to take it. He's a guy that relies on his speed and if that goes, he isn't going to be much of a player.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#128 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:29 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Reading the Cellomac posts on Monta reminds me of when we had Payton here for his brief stint. We had all the GP fans who couldn't figure out why Payton just wasn't playing up to his career norms. They didn't really understand that Payton was on the downside big time until he got to the Lakers.

I don't think Monta is at that point, but his shooting keeps going down which is troubling not only for our team but for trade value.

I don't blame Cellomac. He's obviously a Monta Ellis fan. At least he's evening out the extremes on this forum. The Bucks just won in Phoenix for the first time in 24 years. Monta Ellis led the team in scoring and assists while making 50% of his shots, including some huge, tough, clutch ones down the stretch, and at least half of the posts on the post game thread are bashing the sh*t out of the guy. I want Monta traded for the simple fact that I like Brandon and having an undersized backcourt won't win any titles. But to kill Ellis after every game, whether he plays well or not, whether the team wins or loses, is f***king pathetic.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#129 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:33 pm

I know it's the personality of the board and I know many don't like how the Bucks are run, but I do agree with Jimmy that no matter what happens the vocal majority just kill everybody. If we went on a 5 game winning streak but Monta shot 25% in that 5th win, majority of the posts would be killing him and livid b/c Tobias isn't playing. Everybody can have their opinion and everyone has valid points, but yeah, sometimes its a little much when everybody and everything is getting killed...and this is coming for a pessimistic guy. :)
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#130 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:33 pm

I haven't looked at Ellis shot chart, but I feel like he missed every jump shot in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters...the only shots dropping for him were layups and scoops. In the end his percentage was better than it has been. He won the game with tough, clutch shots in the 4th quarter. But it wasn't pretty getting there. And most nights if you rely on him to win the game.....well, we're going to lose.

"The thing about the Bucks is they like to take a lot of jumpshots, but they are consistently not good at shooting....but sometimes they can get hot and that's when they're hard to beat"

-Johnny Mac summing up the Bucks last night and this season.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#131 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I love Jonny Mac. Gonna be a sad day to see him retire.

You guys that complain about him probably haven't seen too many opponents telecasts because I'd take Mac any day of the week and twice on Sunday over almost anyone in the biz.

I like Jonny Mac the person. I just don't like him calling Bucks games. I've seen plenty of opponents telecasts and still contend that Jim and Jon are two of the worst in the league. Maybe its the fact they're 30+ years older than me. I'm not an ageist, but I can't relate to anything they have to say. Maybe thats it. And they're so predictable. And annoying. Not funny or entertaining at all. I would love for Ted Davis to move to TV.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#132 » by emunney » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I like Jon and Jim a lot but I think it's fair to say that they're past their primes as announcers. They're not quite to the John Madden Circus Sideshow Cutting a Turducken in Half With His Bare Hands point, but they're close enough that Mac could probably hit it with his headset.

I also really fear who the replacements will be.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#133 » by Epicurus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:I love Jonny Mac. Gonna be a sad day to see him retire.

I like Jonny Mac the person. I just don't like him calling Bucks games. I've seen plenty of opponents telecasts and still contend that Jim and Jon are two of the worst in the league. Maybe its the fact they're 30+ years older than me. I'm not an ageist, but I can't relate to anything they have to say. Maybe thats it. And they're so predictable. And annoying. Not funny or entertaining at all. I would love for Ted Davis to move to TV.

They are but a few years older than me and I think they are totally spent and not worth hearing. It isn't age as Rice with the Blazer broadcasting is about Mac's age, but, when not totally inebriated, shows wit and insight as color commentator and the playbyplay guy is smooth and witty also. The Mavs announcers a couple years ago, I think since retired, or at least the old coach (whatever his name) were vastly superior to the Bucks' announcers also. The Pacer playbyplay guy has an irritating whiny voice, but Quinn Buckner, although having a lack of vocal talent, offers good insights to the inner game. In bref, the Bucks' announcers need to retire.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#134 » by KeyRabbit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:51 pm

As long as the replacement is someone who's as good as Tommy Heinsohn I will be thrilled.
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#135 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 pm

KeyRabbit wrote:As long as the replacement is someone who's as good as Tommy Heinsohn I will be thrilled.

FTFY.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#136 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Wouldn't mind Jim Chones getting the full time gig. I really like when he sits in for Mac.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#137 » by ampd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Max Green wrote:So according to our SRS or whatever that stat is called we are supposed to go 17-27 in our last 44 games to finish 37-45?

No, that 37 win figure is what you would expect from a team with our stats over a full season if you didn't know anything about how many wins they had.

If anything it predicts us to go ~20-24 and finish 40-42, thus Hollinger's prediction.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,844

Post#138 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm

N8Frog wrote:I know it's the personality of the board and I know many don't like how the Bucks are run, but I do agree with Jimmy that no matter what happens the vocal majority just kill everybody. If we went on a 5 game winning streak but Monta shot 25% in that 5th win, majority of the posts would be killing him and livid b/c Tobias isn't playing.

The current team is paying for the sins of the past.

If the Bucks can win one of their next three games, they are guaranteed to finish at the halfway point at 21-20.

The Bucks have not been over .500 at the halfway point other than January 19, 2004, when they were sitting at 22-19. And on January 25, 2006 they were at 21-20.

And most of the winning is courtesy of guys under the age of 25 save for Dunleavy.

The problem is we all know how the movie ends until such point they acquire a true all-star.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#139 » by Steve210 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Not a pretty game, but I'll take the win on the road and finally breaking that streak any day. Larry was huge down the stretch, it's amazing just how far he's come in a relatively short peiord of time. The blocks and alters late in the game were awesome. Monta had a real solid night, I just wish he could cut down some of those turn overs and stop taking some of those deep 2's so early in the shot clock. Not a great game for Jennings but he did make some key plays down the stretch.

Portland on Sat. night is going to be tough, but if they could come home 3-1 on this road trip, that would be very impressive.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#140 » by A Diddy2231 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:46 pm

Not one the same level of frustration as Monta taking long 2's but I wish Sanders would stop getting some many hand check fouls out on the perimeter. Rather have him save those fouls for in the lane
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks