ImageImageImageImage

OT-Te'o WTF thoughts?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Re: OT-Te'o WTF thoughts? 

Post#21 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Saw this comment on Deadspin and thought it was funny: Notrue Dame
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,068

Post#22 » by bigdogdylan5 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I really hope that he is not in the closet because I am telling you right now it will be awful to the sport if this guy had to feel like he had to make up a girlfriend to try and hide who he is. It is incredibly sad and people really shouldn't joke about that if true but I aint buying that though
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#23 » by tiderulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:I really hope that he is not in the closet because I am telling you right now it will be awful to the sport if this guy had to feel like he had to make up a girlfriend to try and hide who he is. It is incredibly sad and people really shouldn't joke about that if true but I aint buying that though

its sad, and pro sports players will give politically correct answers on a mic, but this sounds very much like that is the truth. His lifestyle is his and I dont have a problem with it, but I can still see it being an issue in a clubhouse for many existing players.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,609

Post#24 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
arsenal6106 wrote:
You're done with Magic?

Nope, just kind of taking this season off.

You're missing the most exciting season since 2010

He'll be back when Orlando is elite again.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#25 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 pm

The more I hear this story the more I realize its getting way overblown. ESPN is treating it like the Casey Anthony trial. A 21 year old with a internet pretend gf should not be this news worthy regardless of the situation.
aka: prorl
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#26 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told "Outside the Lines" Thursday.

The friend, a woman in her mid-20s, agreed to be interviewed under the condition that she not be identified, saying she was fearful for her family's safety because of the overwhelming publicity the story has generated. In the interview, she did allow for her voice to be recorded.

She said Tuiasosopo gave her the tearful confession and account of how he played what he said was at first a game on the unsuspecting Te'o. And, she said, he told her that it wasn't the first time he had done it.

"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. ... The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like 'I know, I know what I have to do.'

"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."

Notre Dame issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua, Te'o's supposed girlfriend, existing.
Tarnag
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Tarnag » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I never even considered the angle that he was covering up his sexuality, and that seems to make even more sense than it being a cover up or scheme for attention. There's no way he's naive enough to believe she was real without having even Skyped her, no 21 year old I know would really fall for that. Will be interesting to see what this uncovers in the coming days.
Yab
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#28 » by Yab » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Manti specifically told the media about meeting with his Girlfriend, as did his father. Theres no way he just found out on December 6th (or 26th, whatever) she was fake

Either way, he lied. Continued the lied when it benefited him. Just another fake good-morality bimbo I suppose (reminds me of dwight). Either way, who cares. The only reason I like this story is because it shows the media getting burned. Just shows again that sports news should stop reporting this soppy crap about peoples lives and actually talk about the game for once.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#29 » by ADRajX » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 am

Te'o just got "catfished" ... plain and simple... I don't think he was outwardly lying, I believe that he thought this girl was real... after seeing the Catfish documentary/movie and the TV show episodes, I absolutely believe that Te'o was duped by a fake profile/person. You won't believe the lengths people will go through to make a fake profile and to make elaborate background stories/lies. And apparently Te'o wasn't the only person that was duped by this fake profile... a lot of folks were.

After hearing the news from his latest interview tonight, he showed common traits of a Catfish story and victim. Odd, embarrassing, and sad.. and this stuff happens now in this day and age with our our generation unfortunately.

What Is 'Catfish'? Manti Te'o Found Out The Hard Way
MTV News defines Catfish term with Nev Schulman.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170048 ... -teo.jhtml

Manti Te'o's 'Catfish' Trap, Online Dating Scam Phenomenon
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/manti-t ... n-18253927

ESPN's Golic: Te'o a victim of a 'Catfish'-like hoax
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... d/1841723/

'Catfish' producer Nev Schulman investigating Manti Te'o online girlfriend hoax
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/wa ... riend-hoax
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#30 » by OrlandO » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 am

i bet he got a tattoo of "her" name or initials last year
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#31 » by Viper1500 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 am

The MTV show "Catfish" is loving all this publicity.

I've watched it from the beginning, and the original movie. So I'm quite happy for them, now that a celebrity figure has been brought on board.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#32 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm

DJRajX wrote:Te'o just got "catfished" ... plain and simple... I don't think he was outwardly lying, I believe that he thought this girl was real... after seeing the Catfish documentary/movie and the TV show episodes, I absolutely believe that Te'o was duped by a fake profile/person. You won't believe the lengths people will go through to make a fake profile and to make elaborate background stories/lies. And apparently Te'o wasn't the only person that was duped by this fake profile... a lot of folks were.

After hearing the news from his latest interview tonight, he showed common traits of a Catfish story and victim. Odd, embarrassing, and sad.. and this stuff happens now in this day and age with our our generation unfortunately.

What Is 'Catfish'? Manti Te'o Found Out The Hard Way
MTV News defines Catfish term with Nev Schulman.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170048 ... -teo.jhtml

Manti Te'o's 'Catfish' Trap, Online Dating Scam Phenomenon
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/manti-t ... n-18253927

ESPN's Golic: Te'o a victim of a 'Catfish'-like hoax
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... d/1841723/

'Catfish' producer Nev Schulman investigating Manti Te'o online girlfriend hoax
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/wa ... riend-hoax

I would hardly call Te'o honest throughout this process though. Although he seemingly made white lies to hide the fact that the "love of his life" was no different than the relationship between you and I (meaning they had never met face-to-face, no homo :lol:). Which I guess is understandable, however it just made the situation even more confusing.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#33 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Sooo, they at least never even video chatted???

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#34 » by ivDT » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Sooo, they at least never even video chatted???

i remember hearing that te'o allegedly met her for the first time after a game between notre dame and stanford.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#35 » by OrlandO » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Sooo, they at least never even video chatted???

That should have been a red flag for him right there... EVERYONE has a smartphone and/or computer, so there's no excuse for not using skype or some other videochat service these days.

Return to Orlando Magic