Reilly returned to juniors.
Frattin likely to not make team.
Kadri will make the team.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Re: Training camp update 

Post#2 » by _venom_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

From the looks of it the Leafs will carry 8 dmen to start the sesason, and Gardiner will start on IR (though he's taking part in full practice today).

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Kadri/Komarov
Kulemin/Grabovski/MacArthur
McClement/Steckel/Brown

Pressbox: Orr

Gunnarson/Phaneuf
Liles/Komisarek
Kostka/Franson

Pressbox: Holzer, Fraser
IR: Gardiner

Much happier with how the team looks going into this season. They're finally going to give Kadri a shot to prove himself and play him with someone with some offensive talent. The defense will look much better when Gardiner is in the lineup which shuuldn't be far away.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#3 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:37 pm

_venom_ wrote:From the looks of it the Leafs will carry 8 dmen to start the sesason, and Gardiner will start on IR (though he's taking part in full practice today).

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Kadri/Komarov
McClement/Steckel/Brown

Gunnarson/Phaneuf
Liles/Komisarek
Kostka/Franson

Much happier with how the team looks going into this season. They're finally going to give Kadri a shot to prove himself and play him with someone with some offensive talent. The defense will look much better when Gardiner is in the lineup which shuuldn't be far away.

really? idunno...

not sold on Bozak as a 1st or 2nd line centre. worried that MacArthur will have a sub-par year.
and the D is really, really rough looking. i'd go as far as saying it is the worst D in the league.

but...if JvR can have a good year and Bozak can play ok, the first 2 lines are pretty talented. not the best top-2 lines in the league, but possibly in the top half.

i still think that this line-up is nowhere near playoff bound
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#4 » by Brew666 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 pm

I think MacArthur is in a contract year so I expect he'll be playing alright.

I'm curious whether 2nd or 3rd lines are interchangeable or if we'll see any mixing up with the lines. I don't know Carlyle's in-game mgmt too much other than he relies on his top players a lot. I consider JVR a top 6 forward but Grabo as well. Comparing those 2 lines, I think it's a toss up which line will be more productive offensively.

We do have weak D (not sure about the weakest in the league) but that's also where our depth and potential lies. Of course we're talking about offensive defensemen and can't really think of any quality stay at home D coming through the ranks...maybe Holzer but I don't expect him to be anything more than a NHL regular top 6 dman.

Anyhow, it's nice to hear Nonis talking about not giving up youth or picks for short-term. Hopefully he can steer this ship on to the right path..
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#5 » by Crowned » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

I still would've liked to have seen Frattin make the roster instead of Steckel. Other than that, you can't really argue with the makeup of the starting lineup.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#6 » by Ado05 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
_venom_ wrote:From the looks of it the Leafs will carry 8 dmen to start the sesason, and Gardiner will start on IR (though he's taking part in full practice today).

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Kadri/Komarov
McClement/Steckel/Brown

Gunnarson/Phaneuf
Liles/Komisarek
Kostka/Franson

really? idunno...

not sold on Bozak as a 1st or 2nd line centre. worried that MacArthur will have a sub-par year.
and the D is really, really rough looking. i'd go as far as saying it is the worst D in the league.

but...if JvR can have a good year and Bozak can play ok, the first 2 lines are pretty talented. not the best top-2 lines in the league, but possibly in the top half.

i still think that this line-up is nowhere near playoff bound

No one has beaten/proven that they should be taking Bozaks spot.

Im not worried about MacArthur. Im thinking he can put 10-15 goals this season, but I would rather see JVR there instead of him.

This D isnt the worst, imo. Still some teams below us. I think Franson can be good and when Gardiner comes back, I think it would be better.

Yeah, I agree, this lineup is no where near playoff bound.

I think these are the official lines:
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr
Steckel

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Liles - Fraser
Kostka - Franson

Holzer
Fraser
Komisarek

Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#7 » by Waylon Mercy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 pm

I think we'll challenge Columbus for worst record in the NHL and I'm cool with that
the season should fly by so the pain will be minimal. I'd like a top 3 pick and a shot
to get Seth Jones. Someone was telling me we'll have some cap space to play with
this summer and it's a decent FA class.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#8 » by whysoserious » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:I think we'll challenge Columbus for worst record in the NHL and I'm cool with that
the season should fly by so the pain will be minimal. I'd like a top 3 pick and a shot
to get Seth Jones. Someone was telling me we'll have some cap space to play with
this summer and it's a decent FA class.

Jones would be nice but I want Mackinnon. Up front is where we need a dynamic player that can lead the franchise for years to come.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs