ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Tim Donaghy

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

1Hugo7
Senior
And1: 14

OT: Tim Donaghy 

Post#1 » by 1Hugo7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:14 pm

So, I finally got to read some of the things Tim Donaghy said about the NBA and its official. A lot of people seems to be flamming him (blaming) but shouldn't David Stern be on a hot seat? I know there's probably not enough proof to bring stern down but how did these died out without effecting the NBA in a bad way?

http://m.deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts- ... ou-to-read
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,434

Re: OT: Tim Donaghy 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Whenever people defend the integrity and quality of the refs, I respond that Donaghy and his stories have me convinced that I don't need to trust the refs or the terrible jobs they've done since the Jordan years. The typical response is that Donaghy isn't trustworthy and thus isn't a valid source...but I think his betting success speaks for itself. Hopefully both Stern and Hunter are out of their jobs after next year.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:51 pm

There's a story with legs here if a journalist has the balls to go after it and connect the dots...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Ewing33
Senior
And1: 172

Post#4 » by Ewing33 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Not to be a plug whore, which I am...but a while back I interviewed Tim Donaghy. I asked him about the game being fixed and how he runs his sports betting website based on his knoweldge of the game. I also spoke with a friend of mine who is a columnist for Slam Magizine about the game being fixed and his take on it. If anyone has interest I'll post the links below. Sorry for the whorish behavior but I felt like it actually fit the convo perfectly. Thanks to anyone who checks it out, hope it gives more insight to the deadspin article

Donaghy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnD9bX4 ... ata_player

Slam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgNceet ... ata_player
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:15 pm

No matter how many times I read those stories its still interesting.

Amazing how Isiah had the refs in his pocket but was still terrible.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
KnicksPie
Junior
And1: 27

Post#6 » by KnicksPie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

I read the book when it came out. It def changed the way I look at bAsketball. Basically these excerpts cover the book pretty well. It upset me reading some of the stuff about the Knicks. I especially remember some of the examples he gave. It makes you feel like you were duped. Officials laughing about who can go the longest without calling a foul? That's scary. I can say this though. I see dick B working a game...I bet the second half. And that right there is where he made all of his money. He didn't officiate most of the games he bet on. He knew officials motives and relationships. That right there was enough...
Insert signature here
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:No matter how many times I read those stories its still interesting.

Amazing how Isiah had the refs in his pocket but was still terrible.

lol, yeah I was thinking the same thing reading it...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Seems like Melo is the new Iverson too. Refs have an agenda against him.

Dolan should be recording the refs. Maybe that crazy bastard is.
Mavs
aj49689
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#9 » by aj49689 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:33 pm

The crazy thing is, I remember these games. I was so sure the kings would win vs lakers and was pissed at the bogus calls in those games. WOW, just wow, and why can't they let the NBA be real? Sorry Chris Webber, they took that on from you.
If you want, to destroy my sweater. Pull this "Thread" as I walk away.

CARROT SOUP!
aj49689
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#10 » by aj49689 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Seems like Melo is the new Iverson too. Refs have an agenda against him.

Dolan should be recording the refs. Maybe that crazy bastard is.

I was thinking the same thing, and I hope so.
If you want, to destroy my sweater. Pull this "Thread" as I walk away.

CARROT SOUP!
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah I think some refs definitely have it in for Melo. Some are pretty blatant about it but I wouldn't say it's across the board. Also there are probably a stray few refs that call a completely fair game but they are definitely the minority.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#12 » by JustaKnickFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Yeah I think some refs definitely have it in for Melo. Some are pretty blatant about it but I wouldn't say it's across the board. Also there are probably a stray few refs that call a completely fair game but they are definitely the minority.

Are you guys kidding?
Every game Melo gets away with push-offs with his left hand. Every.Single.Drive.
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#13 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Carmelo has been to the line 244 times in 31 games, Lebron 241 times in 38 games, and KD 342 times in 39 games. He gets hacked but he also gets to the line more than Lebron but so does Harden whose been to the line 387 times.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm

JustaKnickFan wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Yeah I think some refs definitely have it in for Melo. Some are pretty blatant about it but I wouldn't say it's across the board. Also there are probably a stray few refs that call a completely fair game but they are definitely the minority.

Are you guys kidding?
Every game Melo gets away with push-offs with his left hand. Every.Single.Drive.

Not just Melo but pretty much every premier scorer in the league gets away with that. But they actually call it on Melo a lot more i've noticed compared to other guys.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#15 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:Carmelo has been to the line 244 times in 31 games, Lebron 241 times in 38 games, and KD 342 times in 39 games. He gets hacked but he also gets to the line more than Lebron but so does Harden whose been to the line 387 times.

Lebron gets away with a lot of non-calls though...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#16 » by JustaKnickFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
JustaKnickFan wrote:

Are you guys kidding?

Not just Melo but pretty much every premier scorer in the league gets away with that. But they actually call it on Melo a lot more i've noticed compared to other guys.

They only call the incredibly blatant ones.
It's ridiculous though how every team feels like the Refs give them the short end of the stick. In reality, the Knicks get a lot of love from the Refs compared to other teams. Especially considering the Knicks are not a physical team and are a jumpshooting team.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Iveson got the line a lot too, but like the article said some refs just had an agenda against him.

Its clear that some games Melo just doesn't get the respect that other superstars get. They call a lot of offensive fouls against him down the stretch that are highly questionable if not terrible.

You can see it with all the T's called on Melo too.
Mavs
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#18 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Everyone on this board should know by now that Tim Donaghy is not the only ref that officiated an NBA game past or present. There are dirty officials in the NBA and the reason why Tim Donaghy got caught was because of his involvement with the Mafia in which the FBI took down that particualy Mafia group.

And everyone knows when a Mafia gets taken down names are coming out.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#19 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Melo is a bit of a whiner too though. But occasionally he'll get wacked across the head and you even see his headband fall or get moved and still there is no-call. That's actually happed quite a few times this season.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#20 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Ewing33 wrote:Not to be a plug whore, which I am...but a while back I interviewed Tim Donaghy. I asked him about the game being fixed and how he runs his sports betting website based on his knoweldge of the game. I also spoke with a friend of mine who is a columnist for Slam Magizine about the game being fixed and his take on it. If anyone has interest I'll post the links below. Sorry for the whorish behavior but I felt like it actually fit the convo perfectly. Thanks to anyone who checks it out, hope it gives more insight to the deadspin article

Donaghy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnD9bX4 ... ata_player

Slam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgNceet ... ata_player

Just watched the second interview, funny stuff man, really cool show... little over the top but I guess that's what makes it great...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...

Return to New York Knicks