ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Re: Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says 

Post#21 » by One Love » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 pm

His value does increase substantially with one year remiaing but given the fact the Lakers down want to take any salary back, it is somewhat of a mood point... He will be amenstied... Maybe another team pays $8 to $10 million for him off amensty aivers and the Lakers pay the rest... I would love to get value back but dont see it happening...

We will beat Miami tonight...
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#22 » by EArl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

That means Mitch is going in for the kill!
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
ennui
General Manager
And1: 955

Post#23 » by ennui » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

eablinksum wrote:That means Mitch is going in for the kill!
C'mon, you apes! You wanna live forever?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#24 » by Slava » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Tasp wrote:

Mitch ain't bout dat lyfe no more. He tells you he wants to hit a home run before he hits it. He got that MJ level swag now-a-days.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#25 » by hermes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:23 pm

do it mitch! :wizard:
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#26 » by EArl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm

hermes wrote:do it mitch! :wizard:

Hermes begs to differ Slav
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,298

Post#27 » by Ckay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I believe you, Mitch
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#28 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am

I recall Mitch saying something allong the lines of it's unlikely any move would be made at the trade deadline last year and yet he made two and was the most active GM at the trade deadline besides Portland's so I'll definitely take this with a grain of salt.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#29 » by tugs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 am

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:
Tasp wrote:

Mitch ain't bout dat lyfe no more. He tells you he wants to hit a home run before he hits it. He got that MJ level swag now-a-days.

hopefully you are not referring to the Bobcats GM MJ. he sucks.

deal with the Cats Mitch!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#30 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 am

Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

Next year that is huge value. We traded Kwame for Pau because he was expiring.

I think Gay and J-Smoove trade places. But I would love to see the Lakers make a run at either player OR let's see how Pau does in Odom's 2011 role as 6th man. I think Pau can handle that and be great.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#31 » by deNIEd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:31 am

Mamba Venom wrote:Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

I think Gay and J-Smoove trade places. But I would love to see the Lakers make a run at either player OR let's see how Pau does in Odom's 2011 role as 6th man. I think Pau can handle that and be great.

Again, if the Lakers refuse to take salary beyond 2014, his trade value means nothing. You can't trade him for anything other than an expiring or future draft picks. Or the entire dream of 2014 is gone.
Gunner24
Junior
And1: 10

Post#32 » by Gunner24 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:54 am

Can we try to get Shannon Brown back?

Letting him go was one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#33 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm

last night was a prime example to me of why we must move Pau now or he's coming off the bench period. Late in the 4th quarter when we stopped turning the ball over we needed an athletic player to be able to switch on the pick n roll's and we didnt have that luxury.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#34 » by JohnVancouver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Gunner24 wrote:Can we try to get Shannon Brown back?

Letting him go was one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.

Trust me - you don't want Chuckie Cheese back. After two years watching him in PHX, I literally have to look away when he's in. He really believes he's Kobe
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#35 » by HiiiPOWER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

deNIEd wrote:
Mamba Venom wrote:Isn't Pau the largest expiring contract next year?

Again, if the Lakers refuse to take salary beyond 2014, his trade value means nothing. You can't trade him for anything other than an expiring or future draft picks. Or the entire dream of 2014 is gone.

look, 2014 is a dream in general. Lakers aren't getting Lebron and there's nobody else in that free agent class that's worth the trouble. an old Dirk? they'll pass on that episode... that's why you hear about their interest in Josh Smith. 2015 is the year to go after free agents, brotha. that's when Rondo, Love, and Rudy Gay hit the market. those are the targets. don't expect Kupchak and or Buss to come out and give you an exact target. when Buss comes out and says " yeh, we'll make our run at Lebron "... they know they won't be gettin Lebron. that's just a way of them saying that we won't be taking back any super-long deals for Gasol because we'll be enjoying our cap space soon. 2015 is the year. when Nash's deal ends, Rondo will take over at PG for the Lakers... i sincerely believe that.

what 2014 will do, however, is allow Kupchak/Buss the opportunity to get Kobe on a better/cheaper contract and help their cap number because 30mill it outrageous. Kupchak/Buss would love to get their hands on Josh Smith at the trade deadline this year and sign him long term. you have to have athletic defenders in the new NBA and they would have Smith and Howard going forward and target Rondo for 2015. Rondo/Howard/Smith is the foundation of a great defensive team that can get out and run. all they'll need is a few shooters/veterans to fill in next to them.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#36 » by deNIEd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:look, 2014 is a dream in general. Lakers aren't getting Lebron and there's nobody else in that free agent class that's worth the trouble. an old Dirk? they'll pass on that episode... that's why you hear about their interest in Josh Smith. 2015 is the year to go after free agents, brotha. that's when Rondo, Love, and Rudy Gay hit the market. those are the targets. don't expect Kupchak and or Buss to come out and give you an exact target. when Buss comes out and says " yeh, we'll make our run at Lebron "... they know they won't be gettin Lebron. that's just a way of them saying that we won't be taking back any super-long deals for Gasol because we'll be enjoying our cap space soon. 2015 is the year. when Nash's deal ends, Rondo will take over at PG for the Lakers... i sincerely believe that.

what 2014 will do, however, is allow Kupchak/Buss the opportunity to get Kobe on a better/cheaper contract and help their cap number because 30mill it outrageous. Kupchak/Buss would love to get their hands on Josh Smith at the trade deadline this year and sign him long term. you have to have athletic defenders in the new NBA and they would have Smith and Howard going forward and target Rondo for 2015. Rondo/Howard/Smith is the foundation of a great defensive team that can get out and run. all they'll need is a few shooters/veterans to fill in next to them.

I'm not saying the Lakers should put their eggs in the free agency basket (I think the new CBA changes a lot)...I'm just stating what many Laker fans have been harping.

We all know that 2015 will be a big year (just like 2010). A team can become an instant contender if they play the 2015 market extremely well/get extremely lucky.

However, suppose the Lakers obtain Josh Smith. He'll be commanding a contract around $15 million. Is Kobe still going to be on the team in 2014? Will he resign another deal? Kobe originally said he planned on retiring, but he has also said he will continue to play. Regardless, Kobe will not be signing a contract for pennies. Let's hypothetically say $10 million? (I think this is still low).

So going into 2015 the Lakers would have around $45-50 million on the books (or $35-40 million w/o Kobe). Now, it would also require for the Lakers to trade away their 2014 draft pick and not sign anyone beyond a 1 year deal in 2014. It's just highly highly unlikely.
HiiiPOWER
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#37 » by HiiiPOWER » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 pm

if Kobe signs any kind of deal after he expires in '14 it'll be a 1 year deal. Kupchak and Kobe talk quite a bit. if they told Kobe that Rondo was their target for 2015 i could see him signing back for even less the following year to fit Rondo in. there's very little said about this, but Kobe's gonna be a minority owner and have a % of the Lakers when he retires. he rakes in 70+million for the franchise every year. he's not hurting for money. the idea is to beat the salary cap system and put a great product on the floor.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#38 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:if Kobe signs any kind of deal after he expires in '14 it'll be a 1 year deal. Kupchak and Kobe talk quite a bit. if they told Kobe that Rondo was their target for 2015 i could see him signing back for even less the following year to fit Rondo in. there's very little said about this, but Kobe's gonna be a minority owner and have a % of the Lakers when he retires. he rakes in 70+million for the franchise every year. he's not hurting for money. the idea is to beat the salary cap system and put a great product on the floor.

Fair assessment. But I believe if Kobe did decide to play after this current contract is up, he'd sign to a similar deal to KG and Duncan (3year roughly 10mill a season type of deal)
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#39 » by TyCobb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Milwaukee really does seem like the best trade partner for us.

Gasol, Ebanks, and Jamison for Ellis, Dalembert, and Dunleavy.

OR

Gasol for Dalembert, Dunleavy, and Udrih.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#40 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Why would Mitch think about trade options? You mean by giving a coach steve nash AND dwight howard that aint enough?
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers