ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

caseyw20021
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#1241 » by caseyw20021 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 pm

what do you guys think about this trade for the magic

by caseyw20021 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:49 pm

as part of a post outlining potential trades the Dallas Mavericks could make to improve their standing in the Western Conference, Joe Kaiser of ESPN Insider suggests that they acquire Jameer Nelson from the Orlando Magic. Defense, particularly at point guard, Kaiser says, has been one of Dallas' weaknesses as it's stumbled to a 17-23 record, 12th in the West, and Nelson can address that issue.

In return, Kaiser suggests Dallas offer a package of point guard Darren Collison, swingman Vince Carter, and swingman Dahntay Jones to Orlando for Nelson. As the Magic have the league-maximum 15 players under contract, they'd have to waive two of those players in such an unbalanced deal.

Collison, who will enter restricted free agency in July, would be the prize of the trade. Now in his fourth season out of UCLA, the 25-year-old is averaging 12.9 points and 5.1 assists in 39 appearances. Long-term, dealing Nelson would enable the Magic to focus on rebuilding their point-guard rotation through the draft, where Kaiser says they could nab Michael Carter-Williams or Marcus Smart. Collison could also be an option if Orlando elected to re-sign him.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#1242 » by trebone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 pm

caseyw20021 wrote:what do you guys think about this trade for the magic

as part of a post outlining potential trades the Dallas Mavericks could make to improve their standing in the Western Conference, Joe Kaiser of ESPN Insider suggests that they acquire Jameer Nelson from the Orlando Magic. Defense, particularly at point guard, Kaiser says, has been one of Dallas' weaknesses as it's stumbled to a 17-23 record, 12th in the West, and Nelson can address that issue.

In return, Kaiser suggests Dallas offer a package of point guard Darren Collison, swingman Vince Carter, and swingman Dahntay Jones to Orlando for Nelson. As the Magic have the league-maximum 15 players under contract, they'd have to waive two of those players in such an unbalanced deal.

Collison, who will enter restricted free agency in July, would be the prize of the trade. Now in his fourth season out of UCLA, the 25-year-old is averaging 12.9 points and 5.1 assists in 39 appearances. Long-term, dealing Nelson would enable the Magic to focus on rebuilding their point-guard rotation through the draft, where Kaiser says they could nab Michael Carter-Williams or Marcus Smart. Collison could also be an option if Orlando elected to re-sign him.

Since when has Jameer Nelson and Defense ever been in the same sentence without lack somewhere in it?

Also I am not that high on Collison as he is way to streaky and had many opportunities to start in the league, maybe to flip for a 1st to a team like the Jazz?
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#1243 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:20 pm

caseyw20021 wrote:what do you guys think about this trade for the magic

So, the strategy behind this would be to trade Nelson (a key leader on this team) for Collison (a below average point guard with no future on a rebuilding team) plus two shlubs that would get no playing time(including Carter, who wore out his welcome in Orlando a few years ago), plus release (and pay) two other players, all for an opportunity to (a) improve Dallas and (b) give us another reason to draft a point guard.

This as opposed to (a) drafting one of said point guards anyway and then (b) shifting Nelson to a sixth man role (as well as counting on him to mentor that draft pick), in which many on this board agree he would excel.

Sure, sign me up.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#1244 » by trebone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Looks like Gortat wants Stan pretty bad per wiretap, imagine the fights between Stan and Beasley!
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#1245 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 pm

It won't be long until Stan begins coaching again, although I wouldn't want it to be Phoenix.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#1246 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:We need to do whatever possible to be terrible next year.

Trading away Redick and Big Baby for youth and picks would be a good starting point.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1247 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Viper1500 wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:We need to do whatever possible to be terrible next year.

Trading away Redick and Big Baby for youth and picks would be a good starting point.

Hopefully the lottery is favorable to us this year. If we have a shot at McLemore/Goodwin/Bazz then we can try & get back into the lottery with a vet & target a PG like Burke.

Burke (Playmaker)
McLemore/Bazz/Goodwin (Scorer)
Harkless & DQJ (Defender/Slasher)
Nicholson (Mid-Range/Post Scorer)
Vuc (Rebounding/Defensive Presence)

See how this young team does/grows & we probably end up with a high pick in the loaded 14 draft.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1248 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm

trebone wrote:Looks like Gortat wants Stan pretty bad per wiretap, imagine the fights between Stan and Beasley!

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1249 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat
SVG !!!!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,202

Post#1250 » by thelead » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
thelead wrote:If he can trade Hedo, Harrington AND either BBD or Afflalo for expirings this trade deadline (to have that type of capspace) he will win exec of the year.

I doubt he is shooting for this year.

I bet he is shooting for next years trade deadline when Hedo and Harrington are expirings that can also be cut to save cap space while BBD would have a year and half on his contract while and Afflalo's 3 years won't look as bad.

I think Henny is shooting for mad cap space in 2014, not 2013.

I agree but they were talking about 2013 free agents so I was just making a point on how difficult it would be to acquire those free agents.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1251 » by Def Swami » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 am

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
You can go ahead and count the Charlotte Bobcats as one of the teams that are "aggressively" pursuing Rudy Gay -- may not have enough
BrettC03
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#1252 » by BrettC03 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 am

Nelson is playing so well this season. Best of his career, IMO. I'd love to see him stick around.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#1253 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 pm

BrettC03 wrote:Nelson is playing so well this season. Best of his career, IMO. I'd love to see him stick around.

Nelson is the one guy, IMHO, who stands out above the others as leader of this team. We have other important veterans and guys with good leadership qualities, but Jameer really is our anchor. It is his leadership, more than his stats, that is valuable to this team. Where I'd trade Redick or Davis more readily to improve this team's future, I'd be much more reticent with Nelson. Not sure if I'd trade him for a guy like Goran Dragic, e.g., even though Dragic is four years younger.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#1254 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm

I don't care what some of you think. BBD and Reddick are not going to get their value back in draft picks if traded. That is insulting to them as players and what they mean to this organization to even say just trade them for draft picks. No team is going to offer anything significant as far as draft picks.

I am tired of everyone thinking that the Magic should just trade their talent to become the Bobcats for the next 3-5 years. I want nothing to do with being a bottom feeder. I seriously doubt Henny and Vaughn want to get stuck in that trap either. Because, the lottery guarantee's absolutely nothing. Good team players at least guarantee chemistry and a nucleus for success.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#1255 » by claudio-br » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I dont think SVG will go to Phoenix. I would guess they will hire Dan Marjele or maybe other former Suns player.
in-limbo
Sixth Man
And1: 362

Post#1256 » by in-limbo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:33 pm

There's no way we can get where we want to go without making some unpopular decisions. Literally anything could happen. If the Magic go full tank I would be very surprised but ya never know.

My feeling is they stay somewhat competitive next year and use contracts and assets to be a player in 2014. I think they end up with a high draft pick but not 1-3, they wont be that bad. Trading up a few spots is doable. Maybe we find a taker for the exeption and get a good player in return. It's all going to be very interesting. If you ask me, the Magic would be happier with multiple piucks in 2014 than having one very good pick. Henny has proven he has an eye so I trust he could find someone.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#1257 » by MagicTownBaller » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:59 pm

David Baumann @DavidBaumann33
As Feb. 21 #NBA trade deadline looms, sources tell me the Boston Celtics covet Orlando Magic SG J.J. Redick.

As I said in the Redick thread, let's get Avery Bradley and make them take Harrington!
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#1258 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Boston is trying to unload Barbosa and Lee. They are not trading Avery and they cannot take back Harrington and Redick unless they unload a similar contract as per Cap space. Thus, they don't really have much to offer.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX 

Post#1259 » by j_n » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:50 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
David Baumann @DavidBaumann33
As Feb. 21 #NBA trade deadline looms, sources tell me the Boston Celtics covet Orlando Magic SG J.J. Redick.

As I said in the Redick thread, let's get Avery Bradley and make them take Harrington!

I dont know if they are willing to trade bradely unless it would allow them to get rid of one of their bad contracts(green, bass, lee, terry).
Other than him they have nothing that would intrest us.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#1260 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Lee is not a bad contract at all
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd

Return to Orlando Magic